PDA

View Full Version : Could use some BBB prayers/mojo (preg related)

JenaW
08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I think most of you know (if you recognize my name...I don't post as often anymore) that we are expecting #5. #3 was a 25 week preemie after my water broke at 22 weeks, so needless to say this pregnancy has been wrought with preterm fears. It has not been an easy pregnancy, but things had been progressing and I was 33 weeks yesterday. At my visit, OB said my cervix was starting to dilate a bit (1-2cm/60-70% effaced), but my fetal fibronectin swabs have been negative thus far. My BP was up (140/92, whereas it has usually been running around 100/60) but no proteinuria and I actually lost a pound, so no swelling either. The baby had a prolonged acceleration when he was checking the heartrate (in the 180's for several minutes - 120-160 is normal), but then settled back around 150, which is where it has been most of the time. I was also measuring a bit small (28 weeks versus the 33 I should be). By itself none of it is too concerning, but when you combine all of it, he was a bit worried. Given my history, the fact that DH is a physician and I am a PA (Murphy's law, doctor's/doctor's wives always make the worst patients), and my antiphospholipid syndrome diagnosis, he wanted to be cautious. So he scheduled an u/s, NST, and repeat BP check for Monday. Ok...no big deal.

Last night I had some cramping and low back pain all night, but it never got too intense. I figured I would call and get my fibronectin results today, and as long as they stayed negative, I wouldn't worry. Well, when I got out of bed this am, I felt very wet - not fluid-leaking wet, but goopy wet. (SORRY!). When I went to the bathroom there was a lot of bloody mucous, much like losing my plug but way more bloody. Of course DH is on call today! I called the office and went in to be seen. BP ok today. Baby's heart rate in 130's. Cervix pretty much the same as yesterday, maybe a bit more effaced and softer, but no more dilated. Fibronectin swab frmo yesterday was negative. (PHEW!). OB thinks bleeding is from his exam yesterday. It had slowed, but he could see it near my cervix upon exam. He wanted me to get put on the monitor but L&D triage was crazy, so I convinced him I was not contracting (just cramping) and to send me home. I was worried because my aunt was watching my 4 plus my cousin's 4 (she is in the hospital delivering her 5th today). I have been home for a few hours. Bleeding continues, again probably because of the second exam today. It isn't any worse, and it is starting to turn darker brown, so that is good. Still cramping a fair amount, with occasional uncomfortable contractions if I do "too much" (like walk to the bathroom or stand and make dinner). SIGH! It is incredibly hard to do any sort of rest with 4 young kids, but DH should be home all weekend and I will be seen again Monday. I know 33 weeks is a HUGE milestone compared to the 25 we have already done, and a baby born now is unlikely to have any serious long-term complications, but it would still be nice to make it to term.

Hoping for a calmer, quiet weekend!

J

JMS
08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Sending Ps & PTs your way. Hang in there baby!!

BTW, it's good to "see" you again Jera :)

mama2g03
08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Sending P & PT and "baby stay put" vibes. I agree with pp - good to see you!

shilo
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
hugs and vibes from one continuously crampy uterus to another. i hope the fFN's and NST's and cervix measurements all continue to be positive monday!

lori

ThreeofUs
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Sending you heartfelt P&PTs!

I'm at 33 weeks with you, and doing most of my basic labs at home (BP, urine, blood sugar, fetal hr, non-stress tests) so that I know what's going on. (Everything's checking out fine, I hasten to add....) But do you think this would help your state of mind - or, for that matter, catch something quick?

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Stay put, little one!!!

Beth

npace19147
08-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Jera - good to hear from you! Hope all goes well.

One question I would have is why does your OB continue to do internal checks? If they are creating these problems then IMO he should not be doing them. When I was on bed rest with #2 (who came at 34 weeks after my first came at 29 weeks) a lot of bedrest moms would have trouble when dr's did internal checks. It can irritate the cervix which can lead to trouble.

33 weeks is huge, it should be way better than with Natalie...but of course you never know, so better to be safe than sorry!

Please keep us updated!

AngelaS
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Praying for you! Take it easy!

kijip
08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Stay put little one.

I agree with the pp, the doc should back off the pelvic exams unless it is crucially needed.

dylansnan
08-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Sending you lots of positive thoughts and "sticky" vibes, Jera.
How is Natalie doing?

Dylan (my 26 weeker) is starting kindergarten in 2 weeks!!!

We think of you often.

~Cindy

Tammy
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Saying a prayer for you and your little one. Keep positive thoughts.

Tondi G
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Sending P & PT and "stay put baby" vibes. Hope this weekend is mellow and that the cramping and bleeding subsides. Keep us posted and hang in there!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason and Aidan

gatorsmom
08-16-2008, 12:23 AM
I can't imagine being pregnant with 4 other children running around my house! I'll be saying lots of prayers that baby stays put.

And you should find a comfortable spot and stay put too. Let your husband run around after kids this weekend. Ill be thinking of you...

brittone2
08-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Sending healthy pregnancy thoughts your way!!

Mamma2004
08-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Jera, sending you lots of "stay put, little one" vibes!!! I will pray for you and your 33 weeker, wishing you a peaceful and restful weekend. Take it easy, drink lots of water and let DH take care of you, the kids and the house.

I'll be thinking of you!

elizabethkott
08-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Stay in there, little munchkin!!!

mommy111
08-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Hang in there, little baby !!!!

missym
08-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry things are worrisome right now. I'll be sending lots of P & PT that your little one stays put for a few more weeks. :hug5:

JenaW
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the well-wishes! I had a ton of cramping last night and am still bleeding this am, so I am headed in to L&D for some more monitoring. I am not having true contractions, but I do feel like my body is gearing up for something. My cousin just delivered her DS yesterday at the same hospital so I figure I can visit her and get checked myself :)

As for the cervical checks, with Lexie (my preg after my preemie) they did cervical length measurements (via ultrasound) or cervical exams every two weeks. Probably unnecessary, but it gave me much needed peace of mind. My OB this time (we moved) did order u/s measurements initially, but they can't be done in his office. Around 23 weeks, I started losing my mucous plug, so that is when we started doing the fetal fibronectin swabs every two weeks. He has been checking me about every other time. His feeling was as long as the fFN was negative, I was ok, but if it was positive, the cervical exam would give us some additional info. A positive result is not as informative. Neg means greater than 95% chance you will NOT deliver within 2 weeks, whereas pos only means 10-40% chance you WILL, so if my cervical exam was unchanged, he would feel better about the positive. We talked several times about doing a cerclage this pregnancy, so doing the cervical exams (even though invasive themselves) helped prevent the more invasive cerclage, since my cervix had remained unchanged until now. As for the repeat exam yesterday, with the significant cramping I was having, I think he wanted to make sure I was not dilating more, even though we both knew we ran the risk of increasing the bleeding after a second exam. I really needed that reassurance so I was fine with it.

Anyways.....thanks as always for your support.

J

eliasmom
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Stick, baby, stick! Sending P&PT too...

caheinz
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hugs and stay put vibes headed your way, Jera!

You're past 32 weeks, which is a great place to be. You're less than 3 weeks to the next big marker of 36 weeks. In the meantime, try to take it easy. Get help with the kids -- you need to be lying down and resting whether you want to or not. Order out for dinner -- you need to be off your feet if you want to keep this lb in!

lizajane
08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
the first thing i thought was YAY! 33 weeks! so there is definitely a positive thing here. 33 weeks is not so bad! i also bled after exams. and cramped a LOT waaaaay before dylan was born. it was worse when i did too much and didn't have enough water. i KNOW you know all this! but you may need to just keep reminding yourself anyway! your kids will turn our JUST fine if they have to watch videos more often that you'd like for a few weeks. pile up a bunch of books to read. gate the little ones in the room and just camp out all day! maybe they can do jumping jacks, push ups and sit ups to get the crazies out while you need to rest and stay inside. hang in there!!!