PDA

View Full Version : Prenuptial agreement

kusumat
08-15-2008, 09:10 PM
My sis plans to get married with someone whom our family doesn't approve of. He doesn't seem to open up with us on his finance situation and background. We plan to advice her to get a prenuptial agreement but not sure how it actually works. Any thoughts? TIA!

Bean606
08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
She should definitely, absolutely, without question, consult with a lawyer in the State where they live. Prenups are tricky, and they need to be drafted properly to be enforceable.

Dcclerk
08-16-2008, 12:54 AM
She should definitely, absolutely, without question, consult with a lawyer in the State where they live. Prenups are tricky, and they need to be drafted properly to be enforceable.

Yeah that. It's a really tough conversation to bring up, too. If you don't think she will go, you might want to go consult with an attorney yourself so that you can know what to expect.

mommy111
08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Consult a lawyer, from what I understand from an issue with a friend is also that they have to be done before the wedding invites are out and other rules like that which seemed completely non-intuitive. So I would make sure that you or sis consult a lawyer earlier rather than later and get the details. Most lawyers will discuss over the phone for free before you actually see them.

hardysmom
08-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Consult a lawyer...

And, to be fair to him, you need to give him the time/opportunity to have HIS atty review the document and possibly offer a counter. These things are complicated, particularly if significant assets, family businesses, etc are involved.

If the assets don't outweigh the legal fees/emotional costs, it may not be worth it. Just something to think about...

Stephanie