PDA

View Full Version : If you aren't using a daycare, what activities/enrichment for babies/toddlers?

sste
08-16-2008, 11:13 PM
We have a very fortunate situation where I have a flexible job as a professor and I have found wonderful nursing/psychology/education students to watch our nine month old son 20-30 hours per week. We have been thrilled with the quality of care - - he is read to, sung to, they play games all day with him, I wish I had the energy of a college student!

Anyway, now that he is heading into the "older baby/toddler stage" and will be walking soon, do you think he would be better served in a top notch daycare or Montessori with excellent programming once he turns 1 (we have some amazing programs in my area)? As an urban dweller I want to avoid the situation that has happened to my upstairs neighbor where they pulled their 3 year old out of daycare, hired a mediocre nanny, and now the kid is cooped up and runs laps in their condo living room 10 hours a day (I know this because they are above us!).

So, if you could write your own ticket child-care wise, what would you do during the 1-2 year old age in terms of part-time childcare - - in home or daycare/montessori? And if you vote in-home what activities would you add for a more active child, remember we don't have a backyard and live in a freezing cold climate but do have gym/swimming pool, music program, book hour, and drop-in playroom. Thanks in advance - - this is our first baby and we are just not sure developmentally when kids are best served by 1 on 1 care versus having other kids to play with and a structured program.

firsttimemama
08-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I would gear it to your child's preferences. I'm not a big believer in one system is the best for every child. (ie, daycare is best, stay at home is best, montessori is best, etc)

If it were me I'd want a constant child care provider/nanny and then add in the activities outside the home. (like the nanny would take DS to .. playgroup, the park, the pool, etc etc)

sste
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your reply. Our son does seem very happy with his set up - - our babysitters fawn over him to an incredible degree and he is a happy, easygoing baby.

Do you think having 2 babysitters split a week (with potentially a third person some semesters) is too much inconsistency? When we interviewed "professional" nannies I was not thrilled - - there were language barriers, some seemed to love children but others seemed to not have other work options and therefore were nannying. I love hiring college and master's students in nursing/child psych/ed because the ones I have worked with are all passionate about kids, they have tons of enthusiasm and energy and are very interactive with our baby, and they are well-educated about child development (which I am not!). But, the downside is while we use the same people on a long-term basis, its not 1 single, consistent provider all week.

I know how blessed we are to have so many options . . . in some ways having too much choice is not a good thing though.

salsah
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
i've studied child development and remember reading about studies that show that children (at all ages) do better w/ one on one care in a home by a loving care giver (preferably a family member). while it seems that you have that now, as you pointed out, the current situation lacks consistency. however more important than consistency is the quality. so two part time baby sitters who provide excellent care is better than one full time nanny who provides mediocre care. if you can not find excellent in home care, then you should look for excellent out of the home care. day care will likely be your only option because most preschools require the child be 2 yrs , 9 mo old and potty trained. (btw, montessori is method of education. let's talk more about that later -- when you begin researching preschools.)

after you have figured out the care part of the equation, then you can look into the enrichment and socialization part. your first priority should be the care your dc receives. the quality of the care will affect your dc more than the enrichment and socialization will.

your dc is still young and will be fine (maybe even better) staying at home (i mean that he does not need to be in school yet. just be sure that he gets out of the house -- go for walks, go to the park or the library, attend story time, go to the kids museums, etc.) if you and your dc are happy with the current situation, then why change? perhaps around 18 mo you can begin to sign your dc up for classes like little gym or swim lessons, etc. that either you or the baby sitter can take him to.

hth

WatchingThemGrow
08-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I at home with my DC, but we do a music class, outdoor fun, and playgroup consistently. We sporadically do the park, the library, and local museums.

The little girl down the street gets part-time care while her dad works on his dissertation/teaches. He drops the girl and the caregiver off at one of the museums for the morning, and the mom (who works FT) picks them up after lunch. So, getting the caregiver's name on your family pass to a museum might be helpful thing. Even though the mom can't come, they join us for playgroup when it is at my house, which is fun for the socialization.

If the people you're getting are really into child development, they might come with their own creative ideas of things to do with your child. If not, you can leave them some fun, enriching ideas - kinda like a lesson plan of sorts. I think the neighbors usually plan out the week for their daughter and just ask the babysitter to execute it.

I wish I could be that organized.

BeachBum
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I SAH with my kiddo, so I don't really have experience trying to choose an alternative. But, I would just encourage you to empower your nannies to get out and about with your DS as you would if you were at home. We had/ have an outing each day....Library, park, music class, playdate, errands, swimming, zoo etc planned for every day.
Before changing a system that seems to be working for you, I would just update it with activities that are geared for his new capabilities.

sste
08-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! I feel much better - - and even more appreciative of my babysitters. My babysitters are very energetic and loving (when I work from home I overhear them telling our baby how much they love him and they have even emailed to see how the baby was doing when we were away on vacation).

This bored and unhappy 3 year old upstairs was what got me worried - - I was concerned that once he started walking our ds would feel the same way but it sounds like there is huge difference between 1 and 3 and I need to think of him more as an older baby.

I am going to take all the great advice given. I am going to give my babysitters my car to use, buy a cheap membership at a drop-in playroom a few blocks away that has a big indoor space and free music/art classes, join the acquarium and get my babysitters on the pass, and have them take him to the barnes and noble story hour, which is excellent and a few blocks away from our house. Thank you!!

WatchingThemGrow
08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like fun. I should plan more for my own kids rather than just seeing what I feel like doing, which ends up being staying home too often. I bet they will all enjoy the outings! Good luck!

AngelaS
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
1 on 1 attention would be the best imo. What child doesn't thrive under that kind of attention and love?