PDA

View Full Version : ugh- why am I so awkward around people?

gatorsmom
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I am a little quirky- I'll admit that right now. And I'm uncomfortable in many social situations. I just don't handle them well (as anyone here can attest to who read my post 10 months ago about the neighbor's 4yo with the pocket knife on the bus).

So, here's another I just want to vent to someone about. Nearly 3 months ago Gator was in a week long soccer camp. A friend who is in Bunko with me and lives in our neighborhood had her daughter in the same soccer camp. I didn't know this since she and I aren't close (not for any particular reason) and only see each other at Bunko once per month. Well, on the last day of camp, DH drove Gator instead of me and she borrowed a towel to cover up with since it was really cold that morning. He lent it to her and she said she'd get it back to us.

Well, she didn't. And normally I wouldn't care. But it's a towel my mom gave me years ago. It's not like a super quality one- it's pretty old and even becoming threadbare. But I remember the day she gave it to me and the conversation we had about it. My mom has been dead for 3 years and I miss her terribly so I LOVE to find little reminders like this around the house just to bring her to mind during my day.

Anyway, that dang towels been on my mind since she borrowed it. I tried to write it off as gone for good and no big deal but I couldn't. I just kept thinking, "how do I ask her about returning an old decrepit towel without sounding cheap, obsessive or weird about my attachemnt to it?" So, since Bunko is tomorrow, I thought I'd just suck it up and call her about it. She said, Oh, yeah, I have it. I couldn't remember who it belonged to. I'll bring it tomorrow." No big deal, no awkwardness at all. Why did I let this bother me for nearly 3 months?

I just hate situations like this. Because sometimes you hang up the phone and think, "they think I"m strange, I just know it." And why do I care so much what they think????

thanks for letting me vent.

kedss
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
hugs, Lisa-
I go through this too all the time, I guess because I don't get out much anymore that I feel like when people actually look at me its because I have horns growing out of my head or something. :)

ShanaMama
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
nak
I'm sorry you agonized for 3 months over that- totally understandable why you want the towel back, though. Maybe when she gives it to you, you can give her a brief explanation that it was from your mom & has a lot of sentimental value. I don't think she'll think you're strange at all.

LBW
08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
You're not strange. I would have been bothered even without the sentimental connection. You borrow something, you give it back. She couldn't remember who she borrowed it from? WTH?! Then don't borrow things from people. Ugh.

gatorsmom
08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
You're not strange. I would have been bothered even without the sentimental connection. You borrow something, you give it back. She couldn't remember who she borrowed it from? WTH?! Then don't borrow things from people. Ugh.

thank you. I feel the same way. I hate to borrow things from people and it always bothers me til I get it back to them. She lives on lakefront property and said that their visitors are often leaving towels at their house. She said she has a whole pile of towels that belong to other people so she added it to that pile.

Personally, I'd be the one saying to everyone: "Do you have everything you came over with? Don't forget to take your things with you! " But that's me. And guests leaving things at your house is different from you borrowing something and not returning it, kwim?

I'm sure I"ve made too much of this. Hopefully tomorrow she'll just bring my my ratty old towel back and I can consider this another lesson learned :).

linsei
08-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't think it was wrong of you to feel that way. She is the one that should feel awkward about not returning something loaned to her and then being confronted about it.

FWIW, I let things bother me also, and then it drives me crazy that I let things bother me. Ironic, huh?

I hope you get your towel back, safe and sound!

cimberdog
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
How did it go at Bunco?

I know what you mean about feeling awkward. I often feel that way in social situations and spend waaay too much time wondering what people think of me. I don't know why I let it bother me so much!

gatorsmom
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
How did it go at Bunco?

I know what you mean about feeling awkward. I often feel that way in social situations and spend waaay too much time wondering what people think of me. I don't know why I let it bother me so much!

Thank you for asking! Bunko went fine- I got my towel back and it was all no big deal. I always make such a big deal out of everything. why do I do this????? makes me crazy....

vludmilla
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM

Exactly. Or if you can't remember who you borrowed if from then, why not start asking a couple people, like your neighbors, friends...

cimberdog
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you for asking! Bunko went fine- I got my towel back and it was all no big deal. I always make such a big deal out of everything. why do I do this????? makes me crazy....

Glad it went well! I overthink a lot and I think it's just fear of offending someone or saying the wrong thing and then I get myself all worked up. Like you, I wish I didn't come with this "feature" :lol:

elektra
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I think things through way too much too. I worry about what someone else might think, how I may come across, if they might get upset, etc.
I waste way too much energy!