PDA

View Full Version : Is Phil & ted a good option if you only need single

riapia
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi

I am looking for an AT stroller for 9 mth old.something light which ican put in my acura tsx(not an suv)

I like the phil & teds looks better thanMountain buggy or BOB but the reviews are not too good..i see ppl usually buy it to serve as double...I just need it as single coz I dont foresee wanting to put on child in the rear even when I have my second baby.

please advise of any great looking 3 wheeled light stroller other than above.
THKZ

WatchingThemGrow
08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Did you look at the BJ City Series? The Elite might fit your description, except for the light part. AT strollers just aren't that. I use the elite double as my only double and love it.

ETA: I know you don't want a double, but the single is what I'd choose in a heartbeat if you're not planning on running with it (which you wouldn't do w/P&T or MB anyway).

ETA again:Oh yeah, DH kicked the back of the P&T. I love for him to feel comfortable taking the kids and going where he wants :)

cellenly
08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
There are better singles out there. I use mine as a double only.

What I don't like about it as a singles stroller:

- no sunshade (technically there's one but it's worthless)
- easy to recline down but virtually impossible to zip back up the recline w/o taking baby out. also it's just a pain too & definately requires 2 hands.
- the harness requires 4 buckling points to properly secure child (that's 2 more than many other strollers)
- steering's not so great - there's others that are so much better
- DS doesn't like the recline in the front/main seat that much. he likes to sit upright & somehow the P&T doesn't let him do that as easily as our zippy.
- the brake is so hard to use that we hardly ever use it. we treat the stroller as if there were no brakes.

- this may be my ignorance but for me, i can't figure out how to make the stroller front wheel not lock on occassion (if someone knows, please let me know). i have to readjust the wheel every three weeks or so b/c it locks up. it's simple enough to unlock the front wheel from the fixed position to swivel wheel, but it's annoying.

the only reason i put up w/ all the things i don't like about the P&T is b/c it's the best double for my needs right now. but as a single, i think there's many other better options out there.

hth

hellokitty
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Are you planning on having anymore children anytime soon? If so, I would highly recommend the P&T. I bought mine as a double, since I had two kids, but had I known about the P&T (I think it might have *just* come out when I had my oldest, I'm not sure), I would have gotten it with my first child and then all I would have had to do was just buy the doubles kit, instead of having a bunch of nice singles and then freaking out about a decent double.

If you don't plan to have kids for a while (3+ yrs) or this will be your only child, I agree with the others, there are other single joggers that are much nicer. The P&T's unique quality is its ability to play the role of a single or double stroller. It is also quite compact compared to other double jogging strollers, most are total beasts compared to the P&T and would not fit into your car. So, that is another consideration.

As for ppl who feel that the P&T is not a, "real" jogging stroller, I beg to differ. I am in a mommy and me stroller class, it is very intense and we run a lot. It works great. So, if you are going to be using this stroller for running/jogging, it will definitely suit your needs. Good luck!

clb
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I tested a P&T at before purchasing a BJCE. For me, the biggest issue with the P&T is that I pinched my finger trying to fold it. Also, I knew I would need a sunshade add-on with the P&T. I did like the colors and the light weight of it. The BJ is heavier.

If you haven't already try to see it in person. It makes the decision easier.

doggiemom
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I bought the pt 4 years ago for my first dd and used it as a single, until we got a surprise with number 2 about 2.5 yrs ago. I liked that we grew into it, it laid flat, baby could face you when flat or away when flat. We bought the sun/bug shade with it and have never had a problem, but my kids have always used it so not a visibility issue, but may be if you have a baby that already knows what it likes and how to see out. Used it mainly for walking the dog on bad boston sidewalks and walking on trails in the woods. A little bulky for mall use, etc. but we've always managed. When I bought it was cheaper than it currently is and for the price about ($275 with rain and sun accessories as a single) it seemed a better option especially because it could grow with you and had the tires to withstand the snow in Boston. I'm expecting number 3 and plan on using it as a single again, it is well loved and faded, but still a work horse. Both of the other kids are on the verge of being out of it for weight of the kids, 38 and 40 lbs, but we still use it as a double if we are gone for the day. I would caution its not a very light stroller, but we have a subaru impreza and have always been able to squeeze it in.

Colleen