PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel like getting rid of all your clothes and starting over?

elektra
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Even though there are a fair amount of clothes hanging in my closet and folded in my drawers, I hate them all!
I mean not really but I think I am just sick of wearing the same stuff week in and week out. With the exception of a few pairs of jeans, I wish I could just donate it all and just start over.
I wish one of those design show people would just knock on my door and tell me I won a whole new wardrobe that they would pick out for me and pay for.

SnuggleBuggles
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
That would be sweet, wouldn't it? I have been very liberal with donating in the past year and it feels good. Of course, I have been so slow to replace things that I feel like I have nothing to wear some days.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
YES!! But then I'm in the middle of a "let's see what fits/looks okay" session right now, and I logged on to see more tips on my 2 clothing threads. Have you checked out the tips over there? I'm psyched! Starting all over would be costly and frustrating, I think, though. Maybe not, but I don't really have the resources to try it right now.

elektra
08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I just read all the follow ups to your posts! It looks like alot of us are on the same page here. ;)
I also end up buying stuff for DD and not bothering for myself. Thanks for the ideas.

citymama
08-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes, yes, yes! But I can't afford a new wardrobe and am somehow unable to part with my old junky one!

pb&j
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes. In the past 4 years, I have been non-pregnant/nursing/postpartum for just 1 year. So I feel like nearly all my recent purchases have either been maternity or transitional. It's pretty sad when your maternity clothes are way nicer/cuter than your regular clothes. I plan on totally Stacy-and-Clintoning my closet when I wean the new baby, and buying as much new clothing as I need to fill in the gaps. I am already saving up - I can't wait.

ThreeofUs
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
O. M. G. So yes.

As soon as I'm done birthing/breastfeeding/weaning DS#2, and have some semblance of my old body back (LOL!), I'm going shopping. In Paris - at least in my dreams!

s7714
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes! Although I've been weeding out old pieces and trying to update to better things over the past year or so. I've found if I look for at least one or two new pieces every couple of months I feel spoiled without totally blowing my budget.

And I'm ashamed to admit this, but when DH and I were contemplating the idea of trying for a #3, one of the pro arguments I kept to myself was that I'd be able to buy a whole new wardrobe of maternity clothes. Because wouldn't you know it, I loaned everything I had to my SIL since I wasn't sure I'd use them again and she never gave them back! ;)

daniele_ut
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Yup, and I did. Dh bought me a consulation with a fashion consultant for Christmas last year so I could use it when I lost the baby weight. I was constantly complaining that I hated my clothes and he actually listened and did something great about it! She came to my house and went through my entire closet and had me try on everything to see whether it fit me and whether it was flattering on me. We got rid of a HUGE pile of stuff. As she went through my closet she took notes on everything we were keeping and then made a list of the holes in my wardrobe. She will also take me shopping for at least 2 hours to find items on that list, but I've been waiting to lose the tummy a bit more. I have purchased a few things from her list to get me over the hump, but we will do the shopping trip in the next month or so.

It was totally worth it and I already feel much better about myself! Incidentally her business focuses on dressing fashionably on a budget, so it hasn't been *that* expensive.

M&Mmom
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Daniele,

Who is this person and where do I find one? I am in such desperate need of a new style. I have no fashion sense so even when i do go shopping I don't have any idea what to get or what looks good on me. I think it is sad that my DD is more stylish than me. I would love to have someone take the time to go through my closet and then go shopping with me.

daniele_ut
08-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Her name is Alicia Richmond and her site is www.chiconashoestring.com (http://www.chiconashoestring.com)

She was awesome and I highly recommend her!! Unfortunately she lives here in Utah, though she does accompany several shopping trips a year to NYC and LA.

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Inspired by this thread I asked dh if he minded me spending a not too huge but noticeable amount of money on new clothes. I got a bit quizzed but I think he saw my reasons. :) We shall see if I follow through b/c I am notoriously cheap when I actually set out to spend $.

It wil be fun if I can do it though!

Beth

ahrimie
08-26-2008, 03:27 AM
i actually read the other day that when your closet is full, you end up wearing less of your pieces. recently, i bagged all the clothes i haven't worn in the last year so i can donate them. plus, i just had a baby so of course, i didn't have much i could wear.. but believe it or not, i still leave the house decently dressed and with different things! when you have less (but classic pieces), you can mix and match with different things... then, buy a piece or two here and there to fill in some gaps.