PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to NYC and need a double stroller.

kusumat
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I narrowed down my choices and need help making the decision. DC#1 is 26 months and #2 is 1 month old. DC#1 is very tall, 100% for her height. DC#2 is probably going to be tall too. I hope to buy the double stroller that they can sit comfortably and will last for several years. Also, I hope to find one with good for the newborn because of the lack of the head support. We live in Manhattan and most of the time we walk.

Weight

Baby Jogger Double 40 This one has good reviews and seems to good for tall kids. However, it is made in China.

Valco Tri Mode -Twin 33 Some reviews said that it wasn't good for tall kids?

Bob Revolution Duallie 33 Also, some reviews said that it wasn't good for tall kids and it was also made in China?

Inglesina Twin Swift 30 I am leaning to this one because it is made in Italy, got good reviews, but the three above got better reviews in term of performance.

What are your thoughts? Dh wants to get only one stroller. Any other brands I should consider? For the Inglesina, will it be compatible with the bassinet?

TIA!

shoremom
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I love the way my BOB rides. However, I have read that the Valco is not as wide which could be a plus for NYC.

hillview
08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Why not the p&t?
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
My friend in Manhattan has the P & T vibe. I have a BJCED, and I would NOT want to be cruising with that or the BOB double in NYC. No way, no how.

kusumat
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
My friend in Manhattan has the P & T vibe. I have a BJCED, and I would NOT want to be cruising with that or the BOB double in NYC. No way, no how.

What's wrong with P&T and Bob double in NYC? Is the BJCED well made? I hope to find one that is not made in China if it is possible. But majority of double ones are made there.

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
The BOB and the BJCED are wide, and NYC sidewalks, stores, and entryways don't seem like they'd accommodate those strollers well. If there are other people trying to get around you when you have to stop to tend to DC, they probably wouldn't be happy about it. The Vibe folds up with the doubles seat attached as I understand. Can you get to some place to check it out? I don't know where it is made.

The BJ is very sturdy and I really like it (and the BOB), but you'll need a smaller stroller b/c of where you live. Maybe the BJCMD would do the trick. It is the same 29" width, but not quite as long as the Elite, so maybe it would make a difference.

Maybe some NYC moms can chime in on what works. I'm not one. Just a visitor.

kusumat
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Why not the p&t?
/hillary

I wonder how it would work in the winter for the rear seat. How would you keep the DC warm? Any idea?

salsah
08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
for a sbs all terrain, take a look at the mbud -- not only is it a great stroller, it is the narrowest.

my concern with the p&t is that i suspect that kids outgrow the second seat quickly. i don't know for sure, it just looks tiny. and i imagine that most kids will eventually get bored sitting in the back seat. if you like it, be sure to look into how long you will be able to use it.

hillview
08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I wonder how it would work in the winter for the rear seat. How would you keep the DC warm? Any idea?

I am in Boston area and for the most part no issues. It is a VERY common stroller here. It is not a perfect stroller but the best IMO for the city with 2 kids. It is nice and narrow. Also take a look at the Vibe. In terms of keeping warm just get an after market sleeping bag thing. I also used the cocoon with DS #2 when he was an infant (for maybe 4/5 months).

It handles fine in slush and snow. DS #1 is 40 lbs and DS #2 is 30.
/hillary

strollerqueen
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
All of the double strollers mentioned here are made in China; EXCEPT for the Mountain Buggy. That is still made in New Zealand. In fact, it's on their stamps, featured as a national icon.

kusumat
08-20-2008, 01:02 AM
All of the double strollers mentioned here are made in China; EXCEPT for the Mountain Buggy. That is still made in New Zealand. In fact, it's on their stamps, featured as a national icon.

I thought Valco was made in New Zealand and Inglesina was made in Italy. Are there any other brands that make the double stroller in any countries but China? Thanks.

jhrabosk
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a BOB single and I can tell you that my 100% height DD has grown too tall for her straps at just shy of 3. While I LOVE it and would highly recommend a BOB, it may not be your best long-term choice.

We have similarly narrow streets and stores here, across the river, and the new most popular double is the Baby Jogger City Mini. Can't comment on where it's made though...

swissair81
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
I thought the P & T was a kiwi stroller as well. Is it just a New Zealand company that has its strollers manufactured in China?