PDA

View Full Version : How can I get DS motivated for 1st grade?

daisy1234
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
DS seems to be struggling this summer. We have been working on his summer journal....writing one sentence each day ( kid writing style). We have to have 20 entries by school. It seems that his letters are all mixed up. As far as reading goes he does the step one books fine but has trouble sounding out words in step 2 books. I feel like a failure in some ways because I really haven't been "working" with him this summer. We do read everyday...we read to him. He has no interest in reading to us. My friends have told me not to worry that they will do a good review at the beginning of first grade. He is so smart but his confidence is dwindling and we are getting stressed because we don't know how to encourage him. Ds also has a tough personality...he thinks he knows more than he does. I suggested starting on the abs's...ok maybe not a great idea...but I thought lets just write them out...he was offended that I wanted him to do prechool work when he is a first grader! Any suggestions that I can do that are kinda funto work on phonics and writing at this level? Thank you!

Georgia
08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow, that's really tough. Is the summer journal a district mandated requirement? It seems like a lot to put on kids (and parents!) when skill levels are so varied at that age. According to DDs K teacher the mixing up letters is expected. I wouldn't get hung up on any spelling mistakes at all.

You are so not a failure in any way! Maybe I'm just a huge slacker mom, but I can't even imagine taking that on. I'd make it as painless and stress free as possible for him to keep him up for school. Honestly I find the assignment completely misguided and a huge recipe for burnout.

egoldber
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I completely agree with the PP. If it were me, I would do nothing and just back completely off. There's little you can do in the next couple weeks anyway, and all it will do is stress him and you out.

I would just read for fun, let him pick out anything he wants at the library and just follow his lead. The teacher will do assessments on all the students in the first couple weeks to see where everyone is and then go from there. He is where he is and the teacher will work with him.

SnuggleBuggles
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Call me a slacker mom because we barely did anything this summer to get ds ready for 1st grade. We did a bit of work here and there but never anything daily. My feeling is that he had a good foundation in k and good teachers should have realistic goals for the start of the year. I think that he will catch on and be right there once scholl starts. He does not read more than some sight words and he isn't great at little letters yet. I know that will all come and I really don't want to force it. i want learning to be fun. kwim?

Just read the other posts and it looks like we all have the same feelings. :) Relax and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Beth

kransden
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
First graders are all over the board in abilities - so don't sweat it. If he went to kindergarten, he'll be ok. Lots of the kids in my dd's class need a big review. I bet some of them never picked up a pencil, so you're already ahead of the game. As pp said it is a little late now, why not just enjoy the rest of the summer?