PDA

View Full Version : PTing but DS not recognizing urgency

rebeccaravit
08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
DS has been wearing underwear at home for a couple of weeks, and will use the potty to pee and poop IF we take him. He cannot recognize the need to pee yet. Days that I take him on my own are great w/ no accidents, but sometimes I am busy and then he has a huge accident.

Obviously he can't recognize the urgency to go, so how much longer do we continue like this?

maiaann
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
We weren't able to potty train DD until she was 3. She just wasn't physically ready until that point. Like your DS, she'd go if we took her, but she couldn't always "feel" when it was time to go. I never did more laundry in my life! The preschool she was at used to pressure me to get her potty trained - very irritating! We just used pull-ups, did the best we could, and let her master the skill at her own pace. Once she was physically ready, she was potty trained with minimal accidents - almost overnight. Your DS is completely normal - just take it slow & he'll be ready in no time!

hillview
08-19-2008, 08:24 PM
My DS is only a month older then yours. We just started about PT the week after he turned 3 and it took about 3 weeks for him to recognize urgency. So maybe give it another couple of weeks. Til then we just reminded him every 30 mins. He is now accident free after a month and a half.
HTH
/hillary

JBaxter
08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
try leaving him bottomless. All 3 of mine had difficulty in the begining IF they had undies on. Something about being "free" they were more able to identify needing to go potty. They were all between 2 and 2 1/2 and for the first few weeks I would set a timer to remind ME and them.