PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/most inspirational Olympic moments!

Emmas Mom
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I haven't watched everything but I've so enjoyed the Olympics this year. There are a lot of moments that have had me cheering, crying & wanting to take up a new sport. I'm listing some of my favorite/most inspriational moments so far, what are yours?

1. Phelps...enough said. What a great role model! He's a genuine guy & a super nice person. Not to mention an amazing athlete.

2. Dara Torres: what a phenom & at 41 too. She's an inspiration!

3. Constantina Tomescu (Romania): 38 year old woman who won the marathon....by a big margin (she's just barely older than me so I was very impressed).

4. Alon Mandel (Israel): swimmer (200m butterfly) who set an Israeli record though he didn't medal & did it despite his father's tragic death only days before.

5. Lolo Jones: I cried for her, it was heartbreaking but she's got such class I still feel like she's a winner & am hoping she goes to London in 2012.

6. Women's gymnastics: always a favorite. I loved how Nastia Liukin & Shawn Johnson both got golds.

jerigirl
08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
The 33 yr old mom from Uzbekistan who competed in women's gymnastics for Germany. She won silver in the Individuals Vault finals. She moved to Germany to get treatment for her son's leukemia.

swrc00
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
My favorite moment was when the US men's team won the 100 meter freestyle ( I think it was this race). The French had made the comment that they had come to smash the Americans. DH and I were screaming and yelling at the TV we were so excited!

deenass
08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
1. Jonathan Horton winning a silver on men's high bar.

2. Shawn Johnson's mom's reaction to SHawn winning gold medal.

3. Debbie Phelps reaction to Michael winning the 100m fly (she collapsed to her seat after seeing he had won gold when she thought he had won silver).

4. Kerri Walsh getting her wedding ring back after losing it during a volleyball game.

maestramommy
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
1) Usain Bolt winning the mens 100m final.

2) Dana Torres during the medal ceremony for the 50m freestyle

3) Shawn Johnson when she realized she won the gold for beam. That smile! What a cutie!

4) The 33 year old gymnast from Germany winning silver for the vault. Amazing.

JillSP
10-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Dara Torres talking to the swimming judge about one of the swimmers still being in the locker room and explaining to the others swimmers they were going to wait for her. She didn't have to do that, they could have started the race without her.

That was classy, good sportsmanship, and being an all-around good person.

Fairy
10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in a tiny little bitty minority, but I was all Phelps'd out before he even set the record. Good guy, nice guy, fine. All done now.

1. Bolt
2. Dara
3. 33-year-old mom Gymnast with the son with Leukemia
4. Shawn & Nastia, in that order. Not so much Nastia's dad
5. Alon Mandel
6. Traynor & Walsh!!!
7. Bob Costas. He's such a class act. Love him.