PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas with 5 month old

emily
08-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Our family will be travelling with our 5 month old to the Bahamas for 5 days. Baby will be on our lap. Jet Blue is allowing us to check in a stroller, car seat and even one diaper with no add'l charge. We're planning on bringing a Peapod for her to sleep in and hang out in by the pool/beach. Should we bring her pack and play? She doesnt really use it at home but will it be a good thing to have? What about car seat? We're really concerned about the ride from Nassau airport to the resort. Do you think we'll be able to install it in the taxi? And what's the best way to protect her carseat and stroller on the plane? Should we use one of those carseat protectors? SHe uses her bouncer alot. Is there one on the market that folds small?

Also, what else can i do to protect baby from the sun? I've heard there are suits with SPF protection. Where can I get one? Do they work?

Any advice would be really appreciated by this nervous mom!

mom2binsd
08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
You will be able to gate check your stroller meaning you use it right up until you board the plane...they'll give you a tag to attach and they take it right from the plane door....hold onto your infant carseat until that point as well...do not check it as luggage....there may be a good chance that there is an empty seat and then you will be able to bring the carseat onboard and install on the airplane (which is very easy). Personally I have never held our child during a flight...too many reasons why most importantly safety as well as the comfort of all involved- a 5 month old being held for hours on end would be something I wouldn't want to experience....with delays and everything else it is wonderful to have a place for them to sleep.

If you'd like more information on flying with children check out the carseat board...at the top is a pinned thread about flying with children....I've never bothered with a bag for my stroller and have always brought my carseat on board....and yes you will need the carseat for the ride in a cab....I would not want to be holding baby in any vehicle....plus the infant carrier is invaluable for keeping baby off the floor and when you're travelling....I'd call the resort and see if they have a packnplay that you can reserve....again it's a place to put baby off the floor...just bring your own sheet for it.

I've seen some of the SPF suits in the onestepahead catalogue but I'm sure there are many places....I'd get a great hat, excellent sunscreen and maybe some type of inflatable sunprotector to use on the beach or by the pool/or seek out shade as much as possible.

If you are using bottles don't forget to bring your bottle brush, drying rack and soap..my rack folded flat which was great for travel.

Have so much fun. I'm so jealous!

shoremom
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
We went to FL with LO at 5 months.

We checked the stroller at the airplane door. We brought an umbrella stroller. We also brought a pack and play and car seat that we checked with the luggage. DH and I held ds while flying. We were able to get an extra seat with no one sitting in it between us.(the flight attendant helped us out) It wasn't too bad. Safety aside, it would be personal preference and temperament of baby. Also, giving them a bottle during take off and landing can help with the pressure and their ears.

We rented a car we used the car seat. The taxi should definitely be accommodating. Try to get a small suv taxi or a van one. Make it work. :) We also brought the pack and play. we called ahead and there was none available or else we would of used their's.

I also recommend bringing bottle brush. It really helped. There was soap there or can be bought at a drug store/or somewhere and we just used a paper towel to dry them on.

DS used sunscreen, wore a hat and shirt always. We also were sure to get a spot near some sort of shade always. I second One Step. It has spf shirts/suits. Could be on sale now, but check soon so they are not done for season. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?siteId=117&parentCategoryId=100180&subCategoryId=100184&Nty=1&categoryId=100182&view=10000.

You want to be prepared, but not boggled down with too much "stuff" when traveling with a baby.

Tondi G
08-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Here's a great site for UV shirts and bloomers for babies!

http://www.uvskinz.com/catalog.aspx

emily
08-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info! Will definately get a SPF suit or two. A hats with the ear flaps seem like a good idea too. At 5 months, I thought sunscreen was not safe, no?

As for the pack and play, did you bring it primarily for baby to sleep in or to play in? We still havent figured out where baby will sleep. I'm a little grossed out by the thought of using any hotel provided crib. I've heard that he can be pretty dirty. Plus, I dont know that they Bahamas has same safety standards as the US. But baby has never slept in her pack and play, even when she was tiny. I guess we could try to get her used to the bottom of her pack and play during naps. I dont want to lug too many things. What are my other options for sleeping? DD has only slept in her bassinet and crib.

If we check our carseat, would you recommend getting a carseat protector?

emily
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
is it safe for 5 month old to be in chlorinated pool water? safe for her skin???