PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up

TraciG
08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I will carry my baby on my shoulders !

I cant choose a stroller , to hard , tired of obsessing over this !!!!!!!!

I have been reading review's on stroller's I was considering & there is something bad about them all ! I guess I want to read review's that are perfect !!!!!!!!! When you can't spend over $ 300 it's not easy !!!!!!!!

maybe this should be in BITCHING !

Jenn850
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I feel your pain. I am one of the first of my school friends (university and high school) and local extended family to get pregnant... and I expressed my uncertainty with the entire process by completely obsessing about strollers. I strongly believe that the $1000 price point is silly, but I hate to be cheap in the $150 range with something you are going to be using alot. The midranged $300+ set seems not only overwhelming in scope, but like a commitment considering I have no idea what I really need.

I am now the proud (and much more relaxed) owner of a mint condition, designer fabric, peg pergo top of the line stroller from 2004 at a much more disposable $75. I highly suggest craigslist! Once I know more about what I really need I can pick up the search again... but maybe this one will get me through until I need a double;)

heatherlynn
08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Traci,

What are you looking for? Lightweight, all-terrain, full-recline, single, double?? You should be able to find something for under $300.

cvanbrunt
08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Here's my advice. Just pick one you like and can afford. Then, move on with your life. It will be fine. I obsessed, researched, comparison shopped for months and realized that I was spending way too much of my life on it. I'm a little embarassed about it now. Seriously, its a stroller. I bought something three years ago and have never given my stroller purchase another thought.

TraciG
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for responding !

I am glad I'm not the only one to obsess about a stroller !

I need a single, full recline, a decent size basket ( almost impossible to find ) I use the stroller a lot since I live in Queen's, NY , I mostly walk on sidewalk's & need something to fit in my trunk & live in a small apt.

I thought I was getting the Valco Buggster but am now unsure since I can't find many review's on it & they're discontinuing it, that make's me worried. I talked to a salesperson & he said it didn't sell well.

so now that I had a small nap maybe I will start the search again...........

gatorsmom
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for responding !

I need a single, full recline, a decent size basket ( almost impossible to find ) I use the stroller a lot since I live in Queen's, NY , I mostly walk on sidewalk's & need something to fit in my trunk & live in a small apt.

I thought I was getting the Valco Buggster but am now unsure since I can't find many review's on it & they're discontinuing it, that make's me worried. I talked to a salesperson & he said it didn't sell well.

Just wanted to reassure you that you are definitely NOT the only person to obsess about this. I spent 3 full weeks of looking at online reviews for strollers. Three weeks FULL TIME (I wasn't working at the time) for my first stroller. And I can't count on 2 hands the number of posts I've seen EXACTLY like yours from other new moms.

I ended up with an MBUS which I love. Not sure it's right for you but it does have all the things you are asking for (except the small fold). I've learned that NONE of the strollers are perfect but you just do as much as you can to make sure you will mostly like the stroller and you learn to live with the imperfections.

Trust me you'll look back and say, "what was THAT all about?"

SnuggleBuggles
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I finally quit my search for the perfect stroller and decided to keep using my Graco Metrolite. I bought myself a Baco Butterfly instead. :)

GL! You can really drive yourself crazy on the stroller search! I swear it would be easier if we didn't research sometimes and just picked up some random stroller at a big box store. We'd probably be pleased enough with it b/c we wouldn't know any better.

Beth

TraciG
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I was looking at that stroller BUT it's to expenisve & I heard from someone it is big to fit in the trunk of their car, so unfortuately not good for us .

heatherlynn
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
What about a Red Castle Whizz? I think you may have been looking at them before. Works well on bumpy sidewalks, full recline, awesome steering, includes suncover, rain/storm cover, air pump. The fold isn't tiny volo small, but it's smaller than an MBUS. The steering is better than a P3/Zippy and better than a Mac, imo. Think of it as sort of an MBUS-lite, but it's definitely more elegant-looking. Really, I love mine. I like it because it's more than good enough for bumpy sidewalks, but I don't feel ridiculous bringing it into the mall or stores since it has the smaller tires. I felt a little silly bringing the MB's and Bob's into stores (I've since sold those although I did love them very much).

HTH! Oh, there's a gal on strollerswap/strollersandbeyond who's selling a black mamabargains whizz. She's a great swapper, too!

mominmarch
08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
I laughed out loud at the initial post. My DD is now 17 months old. Stroller shopping was my obsession for about 2 months during my pregnancy. I really obsessed. I read every post on here comparing different ones, I charted them, I signed up with the stroller mama, I posted a lot too. This was at the end of 2004 start of 2005.

In all honesty, you HAVE to obsess about something, that is something that soon to be mothers just do. Heaven forbid we actually store up on sleep during the time we need it most -- instead I would stroller research, for hours in the middle of the night. :) If it isn't strollers, you will be driven to obsess about something else I bet.

Our solution - we got the Zooper Waltz as our "full recline" and portable stroller, and we got the BOB Revolution as our jog stroller which we use for pretty much all walks. Frankly, I love them both and have used them both a ton. The Zooper in my opinion is just a great stroller, and the full recline was essential with the baby. Now my daughter walks along holding on to the edge of it (we take the sippy cup for a walk now, the cup sits in the seat). And the BOB, in my opinion, is great for all the uneven surfaces and the jogging that I do. We haven't gotten an umbrella stroller, nor do we have the need for one yet. I keep the Zooper folded in our car.

I am someone who can't say anything negative about either of our choices!

Good luck!

sste
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Its the hormones.

Why don't you just narrow it down to the zippy (everyone loves that here); the red castle whizz (maybe heavier than what you want but awesome deal at mamambargains), the zooper waltz (our neighbors love theirs for urban living and they only have one stroller whereas I now have three!) and finally have you considered the Maclaren XT (I just bought a 2007 one for $199 from an authorized online retailer (babyeestore - - they don't seem like they have any customer service or even a phone number but its under the Maclaren warranty, I called Maclaren to check).

I also really like my babyjogger city mini but its not plush at all and I seem to remember that is something you were looking for.

I think valco & mountain buggy and possibly baby jogger city series are at the edge or a little over your price limit - - for MB or valco you would need to get a model that is new but 1 or 2 years old in terms of model date to be anywhere near $300. Plus, while I LOVE air tires my husband and I made a decision that in our urban condo with no garage to roll a stroller out of we just could not go over 16 or 18 pounds. Period. I would only go all-terrain if you have an elevator or a garage or entryway storage and then only a couple of steps. Even then as someone noted the all-terrain is a little big for going into stores and museums with if you are looking to buy one stroller.

Really our neighbors in your situation ended up very, very happy with their zooper waltz . . . and it included every last accessory and I believe was at or a little under $300.

As a final note, I sometimes think the whole stroller thing is madness especially with a newborn. If you think about it we all buy bouncy seats to create vibrations in perfectly still environments and then we turn around and buy these air tires, suspension, etc. to eliminate vibrations in an environment where vibration is free!! My babysitter pointed out to me that our baby actually liked the vibrations in our Mac Volo that I was so worried about . . .

gatorsmom
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I was looking at that stroller BUT it's to expenisve & I heard from someone it is big to fit in the trunk of their car, so unfortuately not good for us .

I agree it's expensive if you buy it new. If you can get one used, though, I'd imagine it's a good deal because they are very sturdy. There aren't a lot of plastic parts to break.

Oh, and yeah, you are right about the fold. It's not a compact stroller, by any means. But it does fold pretty flat. I guess it depends on your size of car trunk.

anyway, at least you just ruled out one stroller! ;)

srhs
08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh, I can soooo relate! I agonized over every baby gear decision! I agree with PP...totally a fulltime job! I still have the sickness...I could NOT choose a crib soother for DC this week...total indecision over a tiny purchase there.

Anyway, don't stress!
If I were you, I'd grab one of those crazy deal $39 ones posted on the bargains thread
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=299305
After you use it a bit, you will know what you really need and can go from there!

newmomto1
08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for responding !

I don't think ANYONE could've obsessed over strollers more than me with DC #1. I purchased & returned, used & sold more strollers than I can count. My DH thought I was CRAZY!
I am unclear on what your price range is. But, with all of my stroller turnover, the one I kept coming back to & that I STILL use with DC #2 is the Peg Perego P3. It seems like it would have everything you're looking for. And, if it's too pricey you could check out Ebay, or buy an older model.

TraciG
08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
That was one of my first choices, the P3 !! At the beginning I was thinking of that one or the Techno XT but after a while I thought they were boring looking. Maybe I'll reconsider the P3 , it's ok if it's a little over $ 300 .

newmomto1
08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
That was one of my first choices, the P3 !! At the beginning I was thinking of that one or the Techno XT but after a while I thought they were boring looking. Maybe I'll reconsider the P3 , it's ok if it's a little over $ 300 .

It really is a great stroller!
And, really versatile!
With DS (my older DC) I swapped out the tray for a bumper bar b/c with him...if the tray was there he ALWAYS expected snacks & it became a bit of an issue.
I started thinking a stroller w/ no tray would be better.
Well, fast forward to DD (DC #2).. She is not a big snacker, so that's not an issue. But, she has lots of food allergies. I am so glad I have that tray! I use it all the time when we are out so that she can eat safely without being exposed to things she's allergic to. It's been a lifesaver :)

cath_b
09-07-2008, 01:38 AM

I noticed that the post date on this was 2 weeks ago. So I am not sure if you've already bought your Pliko P3. It just so happens that I was looking at a 2007 Pliko P3 tonight. I don't know why though because I was looking for double strollers (hehehe). Somehow I ended up on this site. I noticed the price and thought, "Wow! What a great deal!" It's a brand new 2007 Pliko P3 in Pure Vapor (http://www.babydealz.com/noname42.html) for only $209.99. There are other colors as well. I think it's worth checking.

Good luck!

chessie
09-07-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm still looking at strollers and my little one is already 22 months. I still love the P3 the best...but am curious about trying a Zippy. We have a Bob and a Inglesina Swift (for my husband's car).

reissgirl
09-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Check out this new Valco TriMode for $299.99 at Albee Baby.

http://www.albeebaby.com/valco-runabout-tri-mode-single-jogging-stroller-in-plum.html

TraciG
09-07-2008, 12:21 PM
but am not too happy with it, I SHOULD have gotten the P3, check out the post thinking about selling my brand new Whizz

codex57
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Check eBay for the P3. It's very close to a Zippy and if your budget is only $200 instead of $300, it's worth getting. When I was looking for a Zippy, eBay was the cheapest by far (altho I just saw someone saying albeebaby had the Zippy for $299 now), and I briefly considered the P3 cuz it was about $100 cheaper than the Zippy. I was too seduced by the Zippy fold tho so I stuck with the Zippy. But, if you don't know what you're missing, it's not such a big deal. I like the P3 more than the comparable Maclaren Techno.

GraceH
09-14-2008, 05:01 AM
I feel your pain -- baby gear is crazy expensive! We didn't have much space or money when we found out about our bundle of joy. I too wanted the most bang for my buck. Here's what I did... hope this helps:
Graco SafeSeat step1 infant car seat ($130)
Graco Mosaic stroller ($100)
Graco Nautilus car seat ($150)
...all ranges of car seat are covered (SS1 (0-1+), Naut. (1-10)). All types of stoller are covered (takes infant car seat, seat reclines, umbrella fold). To me, only spending $380 for all the big ticket on-the-go baby gear my DS needs/will need was a bargin!

JanBaby
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Just bought a 2007 P3 on albeebaby.com for $179! The 2007 and 2008 models are almost identical according to the Peg Perego website. Free shipping and no tax too!