PDA

View Full Version : Pack-n-plays for newborn twins

TwinX2
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Everyone!
I'm expecting twin boys in November and am stumped with the whole sleeping arrangements thing. Where do you put newborn twins after they come home? The only twin bassinet pack-n-play that I've been able to find is the one made by Gracco, but I've read mixed reviews on it and hear that you have to buy special sheets later on since it's bigger. I'm trying to avoid buying both a pack-n-play and a bassinet. I would prefer for them to not sleep in the bed with DH and I, but would like to keep them in our room. Any advice for a new mom?

gatorsmom
08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Congrats on the twins! I can tell you what we did for the beginning with our b/g twins. I had a regular sized graco packnplay with a bassinet feature from my first 2 babies which worked great at first. When they are so little they don't move much and you can keep them in the same packnplay (in the bassinet) together. I did 't keep them right next to each other because if one would move, s/he'd wake up the other. But they fit fine in there together. I kept it a few feet away from our bed in our bedroom with nursery supplies tucked into the side pockets (diapers, wipes, extra sheets, extra clothes, burp clothes, etc.). They stayed in that for the first month. It was very convenient because when one woke I'd wake the other and just bring them both in bed with me, nurse them, change them and put them back in the pack and play.

Ultimately we realized that they had reflux and they would sleep better in their swings which is where they spent the next 6 months sleeping. Now they sleep well in their cribs. You just never know what is going to happen! But at least at first this is a good plan for your babies when you first bring them home.

hth.

caheinz
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
We have a regular pack-n-play (with bassinet and changing table) leftover from DS. We were going to get another, but I noticed something: The Graco bassinets can only hold up 15lbs! (And that applies to the twin one, too!)

So, we're going to get an Arm's Reach co-sleeper this time around. The 30-lb limit on the bassinet will give us much more time before we need to find another solution.

srhs
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
CONGRATS to you! How exciting!

So I am not a mom of multiples, but I am in that place of "Where do I want DC to sleep now?" since I still want him in our room but not in our bed.
Just wanted to chime in that Chicco's Playard's bassinet also has a 15 lb. limit.

We did bassinet then playard bassinet and now bottom of playard.

I really wish we would've just got an Arm's Reach full size co sleeper. That has to be easier than lugging them up over the edge of bassinet or PNP into bed for nursing or soothing. And it would've lasted a lot longer with a 30lb weight limit as cosleeper and 50 as PNP.

My 2 cents,

mamaoftwins
08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
We used the Arm's Reach co-sleeper with bassinet for both of them for the first 6wks or so (loved it - totally worth the $$!!), then the babies shared a crib in their room until about 10wks (if I remember correctly), then we split them into their own separate cribs, but still sharing a room. Although, like gatorsmom said, ours didn't enjoy sleeping in their cribs, so they slept primarily in their bouncers or the swing until abt 5mo of age. :)

Good luck and congrats!!

mamaoftwins
08-22-2008, 05:17 PM
We have a regular pack-n-play (with bassinet and changing table) leftover from DS. We were going to get another, but I noticed something: The Graco bassinets can only hold up 15lbs! (And that applies to the twin one, too!)

That's so weird, right?! I noticed that, too, when we were looking. You'd think they'd make the twin one have a higher weight limit.

So, we're going to get an Arm's Reach co-sleeper this time around. The 30-lb limit on the bassinet will give us much more time before we need to find another solution.

You won't be sorry for this purchase, caheinz! I LOVED ours. My friend used the same for her singleton and she also said it was fantastic especially since she had a c-section; it made it much easier for her to get to the baby instead of having to get out of bed all the time.

sue_g
09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
You also have to make sure the pack-n-play has a full size bassinet that goes all the way across. I know some just go half way across. We used it for naps and the crib for nighttime.

Melaine
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I actually LOVE the twin Graco pack 'n play. Our girls were preemies so they could use it for a loooooong time. They actually grew out of it lengthwise before weight wise. Then after we got a cheap-o second and use them both for traveling. Never had an issue with sheets, I've only used crib sheets on either pack 'n play because I didn't want to buy extras.
We had the twin pack 'n play in our bedroom for the girls to sleep with us for the first couple weeks. Then we moved them to the crib and put the pnp in the living room for an extra nap spot. Then later we got the second crib and then ended up setting up the pnp in a bedroom for an extra nap spot, because for awhile they wouldn't sleep in the same room....looking back in sounds so complicated! It seems like everyone figures out something different that works for them...but I do want to cast a vote for the twin pack 'n play!