PDA

View Full Version : Nikon digital SLR camera lens questions

Emmas Mom
08-21-2008, 01:37 PM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11279309&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|83|76275&N=4025522&Mo=5&pos=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=76275&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

We're getting a new camera & are seriously considering this deal from Costco. The thing is my Mom can get the camera also (no second lens, camera case or memory card) for $505.00. My question is about the second lens...is it worth it? We don't really get the whole lens thing & I don't know if the 2nd lens is that great. Does anyone understand these lenses & could you help out? We only have until this weekend on the deals so we need to make a decision as soon as possible. Thanks.

mamalia
08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Just my opinion but I'd opt for the cheaper one lens option...as long as it was a great versatile lens.

I have a Nikon DSLR and only have one lens. It was bought pre-child, when I was really interested in photography, and the entry-level DSLRs first came out. I just went with a lens the camera shop recommended. To be honest I've always been freaked out about changing/cleaning the lens because of dust issues...even pre child! If it were me I would take the money you save and head to a local camera shop for:
A nice compact camera bag
A good memory card
A lens protector
And this gadget that keeps the lens cover attached to the lens body while in use
I've also always wanted an extra external flash, but never got around to buying one. For me that would be my first extra purchase...not another lens.

khm
08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I just went through this with the Canon. :) I ended up skipping the Costco deal. I love the extended warranty part, but otherwise, it wasn't a great deal with the setup I was looking at.

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ This site reviews the lenses. The Canon kit lenses didn't get stellar reviews AND I knew I needed a different one anyways. I do not know about the Nikon lenses, but it is worth a look. I decided I'd rather buy two I chose, rather than end up one I choose and two that weren't what I'd have bought on my own.

I ended up buying the camera body and the lens I wanted from an out of state shop (no tax), and using my powers of online bargain shopping to get a nice case for a couple bucks (literally). The Canon uses SD cards which are ridiculously cheap, too. I have the other lens on my Christmas list. :)

BillK
08-21-2008, 02:47 PM
You'll hate being stuck with 55mm on the long end. I think Nikon now has a 18-135mm lens - I'd lean toward that - or get the kit with both lenses - however swapping out lenses is a drag too. I have the 18-200mm VR lens on my Nikon D50 and I love it - but it is fairly big and heavy. The 18-135mm is supposed to be a lot lighter and easier to carry around.

edit: Bh Photo has the D40 kit that includes the 18-135mm lens but it's out of stock. I'd really try to find that lens for the D60 you're looking at and just go that route if you want to be able to carry the camera around without a bunch of stuff (or the bigger and heavier 18-200mm VR) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485841-REG/Nikon_9419_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Emmas Mom
08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm leaning towards going with the single camera deal (that my Mom can get) but did find this:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1189.htm

Same thing as Costco (minus the memory card) but no tax & a bit cheaper.

I guess I'm not really understanding what the lenses themselves DO that makes one better than the other. I mean, does one get shots that are closer up? Further away? More clarity? I don't understand what the numbers signify....18-55, 55-200, 18-135. If I understood that maybe I'd get it??

caheinz
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess I'm not really understanding what the lenses themselves DO that makes one better than the other. I mean, does one get shots that are closer up? Further away? More clarity? I don't understand what the numbers signify....18-55, 55-200, 18-135. If I understood that maybe I'd get it??

The 18-55 will be great for close-ups, but you won't be able to zoom much at all.

The 55-200 will give you a very workable zoom range. 50-100mm is a good range for portraits, 200 will allow you to take things that are at some distance and zoom on them to fill more of the screen.

To give you an example, we were at Disneyworld this summer. I had 18-55 and 20-200 lenses with me. With the 18-55 lens, trying to take a picture of the castle at Disneyland from the resort across the lagoon would have been pointless -- the castle was in miniature on the screen. (The height of the castle was maybe 1/10th of the photo.) With the 200mm lens length, I could make it so that the castle was actually recognizable. I would have needed a larger lens to make it fill the screen -- but I also would have needed to get out a tripod (when you're zoomed in that much, a tiny shake can completely change what's in the picture!). (Unless you're planning to be a bird photographer (small objects at long distances), you're probably fine with 200mm as your biggest lens!)

LD92599
08-21-2008, 07:53 PM
try to get a fast lens which means a lower F number. It also means it'll let more light in, for example not needing flash as often (trying to understand this myself from my DH). We sold the kit lens that came with our d80.

I'd also recommend bhvideo & jr for great prices , no tax &. Quick shipping!

We love both our dslr's!!!

Laura

neeter
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
A good plus about Costco is that if you decide that the two lenses aren't working for you (ie, too much work to swap out), or if you decide that the camera is not for you (ie too bulky or too small, etc) then you have 90 days to return. This is huge because most other places charge a restocking fee, and you might only have 30 days to decide.

So if you're on the fence, then maybe Costco might be the way to go.

kellij
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I was trying to figure out all this lens stuff when I got my camera last year (Nikon D80). I ended up getting the kit lens and the 50mm, I would have loved to get an additional "better" lens, but without that I was over 1,000. Anyway, after doing some research around Christmas, I determined that what I really needed was an external flash, not another lens. I got the flash and love love love it! I take most of my pics of my kids and they are usually inside where lighting isn't prime. I highly recommend looking into flashes while you're checking everything else out.

Kelli

LBW
08-22-2008, 08:07 AM
I think you should go for the cheaper deal (ie., one lens). Put the money aside to buy a lens or two in a few months after you've used the camera for a while. Then you'll have a better idea of what you need.

The lenses that come in the kits are often not the best deal. You can do better pricewise and get a better quality lens later on.

I used the kit lens that came with our Canon DSLR for a couple of years. It was fine. I was moving up from a point and shoot camera, so anything was better, you know? Then I wanted something for taking nice pics of the kids indoors without a flash, and wanted another lens for outdoor pics for sporting events. So, last year I bought two new lenses - a 55-200 mm zoom and 28-75 mm for close ups. I bought Tamrom lenses and paid about $400-$500 for BOTH. I'm asking for a 50 mm lens for Christmas for portraits of the kids. Depending on which one we get, it will cost between $75 and $300.