PDA

View Full Version : WWYD -- painting of DD#1's room

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
So, DH decided to paint DD#1's room this week. She picked the color (peptobismal pink). I insisted on at least white wainscotting to "temper" all the pink. DH and DD#1 agreed. I left them to their devices.

DH, for some unknown reason, got Satin finish paint. First coat was SHOCKING pink, so I had him do the 2nd coat in a lighter shade. I didn't realize the satin vs eggshell or other finish issue until after the 2nd coat of the lighter shade. Other than the finish, the room does not require another coat of paint (just installation of the wainscotting, painted the same shade/finish white as the trim, IIRC semi gloss).

All the walls in our house were originally flat finish (various shades of beige/taupe -- tavern taupe and tequilla, which I think are hilarious names). We have repainted various rooms in "colors" and used eggshell for those. This will be the only room with a satin finish.

I've asked DH to do a 3rd coat of eggshell in the same 2nd lighter color. He balked, to put it mildly. Said if I wanted that, *I* have to paint. Sigh.

WWYD? Suck it up and paint, or just live with the satin finish???

LBW
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about it!

trales
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I think you will really like a satin finish in a kids room. It is so easy to clean. We use it in all the bathrooms. Stuff just wipes right off. I would esp do the wainscotting in an easy to clean finish like semi gloss. White and kids is asking for scuff marks. You will want to be able to wipe and go.

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I think you will really like a satin finish in a kids room. It is so easy to clean. We use it in all the bathrooms. Stuff just wipes right off. I would esp do the wainscotting in an easy to clean finish like semi gloss. White and kids is asking for scuff marks. You will want to be able to wipe and go.

Yes, the wainscotting is in either semi-gloss or gloss (whatever the trim is -- its matching the trim).

OK, thanks ladies. I'll just let it go. Must smack that inner control-freak. LOL.

mecawa
08-22-2008, 12:41 PM
If it were me I would just live with the semi gloss especially in a child's room. I actually just had to have a piece of furniture repainted that I am putting in DD's room and the furniture restoration people we took the piece to said if it were going in a child's room that they highly recommended a type of a gloss finish. Good luck with your painting!!

Wife_and_mommy
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
So just to clarify, you're okay with the color but your concern is the paint finish, right?

I wouldn't bother with another coat for the finish.

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
So just to clarify, you're okay with the color but your concern is the paint finish, right?

I wouldn't bother with another coat for the finish.

Yes, its just the finish (though, frankly, I could have done with an even lighter pink, but this 2nd color is OK -- I can live with it).

The pink (upper portion of the walls) is satin finish. The wainscotting will be white (color & finish matched to the existing trim/doors), IIRC the existing trim is semi gloss. The majority of the house drywall is flat finish. The rooms we have repainted are eggshell (which is what I would have chosen if *I* had bought the paint).

OK, I'm not doing a third coat. She'll probably want a different color in a few years, we can do that eggshell.

Thanks ladies! :)

SammyeGail
08-22-2008, 02:29 PM
You'll get used to the satin finish : ), as long as your DD is happy. Our builder picked out nice colors for our home, but used flat finish on everything (semi-gloss on trim).

I'm doing the opposite of you, lol, I'm in the process of re-painting my (all flow together so same color) foryer, hallway, eat-in kitchen area, kitchen and lastely the walls up the staircase, then the upstairs small hall. Yes, the same color, but covering the flat finish with satin. Being in the house 15 months, having twin boys who are 2.5 now has not been good to the bottom 3 feet of my walls, lol. I clean them, but I have never been a fan of flat finish.

Funny how we have such specific taste on our paint finish, I want to repaint the entire house in satin Its like I have to do it, lol!

Samantha
2.5 yr old twin boys
Noah, my little firecracker
Jonas, my sweetheart with autism

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong -- I dislike the flat finish for the reason you stated. It shows EVERYTHING. Even before we had kids, I didn't like it.

Yes, DD#1 is in loooooove with her pink room. I should enjoy it while it lasts. She'll likely want a black room as a teen, LOL.

SammyeGail
08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong -- I dislike the flat finish for the reason you stated. It shows EVERYTHING. Even before we had kids, I didn't like it.

Yes, DD#1 is in loooooove with her pink room. I should enjoy it while it lasts. She'll likely want a black room as a teen, LOL.

Can you post a pic of the room? I'd love to see it! especially with the wainscotting. Is there much on the walls? Pics and such always tone down the color. I waiting on JC Penny to have free shipping again to order the sheets I want for the boys room, then pick a blue from them. I want to use 2 blues, don't know if I should only do 2 walls in each, or paint one color then vertical strip the short walls...I'm thinking it will look neat (the ceiling is mostly flat then angles down some since its on the 2nd floor).

The house we bought before this one was a HUD repo, 5 yrs old, great shape, just needed cosmetic work. All the walls in the entire house were dingy flat white except for one bedroom, 2 walls were pepto pink, the other 2 what i would call pepto purple (all in semi-gloss), then the baseboards, door, closets doors and window sill smurf blue. It was horrid :eek: !!

Hope you're able to post a pic!!

Samantha

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 05:34 PM
:) Wainscotting isn't even up yet -- its drying in the garage as we speak. He's also gotta get the chair rail too. I'd be happy to post pics when he's done.

I got a few Ariel stickies for her room yesterday at Home Depot. I had Princess ones in my hand, but then she wanted Ariel (her fave princess). So, Ariel it is. Guess the Tinkerbell stickies are going in DD#2's room.

BTW, that brings up DD#2's room. Currently, it is 3/4 green (grass), then high white (clouds) molding with coat hooks and then blue (sky). with stuffed flowers hanging from the coat hooks. And green gingham ruffles over the windows. The nursery was designed for DD#1 before we knew she was a she. Now that we are "done" and we have 2 girls, we're going to change the blue to pink. So, DD#2s room will be green & pink. I think that will be next weekend's project, though.