PDA

View Full Version : let's talk hormones

rebeccaravit
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with me. I weaned DS#2 about 7 weeks ago and I am going through major ups and downs. My chin can compete against a 12yo for the Oxy pimple commercial and I am a complete raging b-tch. I feel so fat, and I keep eating and eating due to the emotions. I am also tired alot and have no energy to do anything (could be from the overeating and not getting outside enough or from the lack of nutrients - I eat alot of PB&J). {Forgot to add the hot flashes.}

Is this from the weaning, or is there something else going on with me?

I am on the mini-pill so I've been having breakthrough bleeding pretty much since I weaned him and it just stopped. I am switching to a combo pill as soon as this pack ends (I want to get the most out of my co-pay).

Any thoughts on what I am going through? All I know is that I really feel "off" mentally.

Momof3Labs
08-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Has AF returned yet? If not, you could be seeing her soon.

rebeccaravit
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
No AF yet. I am on the mini-pill and its a continuous pack, no off week. When I start the new pills there will be an off week.

lizajane
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
get your thyroid checked- google hypothyroidism.

rebeccaravit
08-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Already taking Synthroid.

CAM7
08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Are you taking your synthroid correctly? Sometimes I forget and eat breakfast or have my coffee too soon after taking my pill. I try to wait a half hour before eating...but sometimes I forget...and sometimes I forget entirely to even take the darned thing. :-)

rebeccaravit
08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Hmm, maybe you guys are right. I haven't been too regular on taking it, and its always after coffee. I take it at 9am with my bc pill and vitamins.

lablover
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Hmm, maybe you guys are right. I haven't been too regular on taking it, and its always after coffee. I take it at 9am with my bc pill and vitamins.

Just FYI - I was always told that you shouldn't take any supplements containing iron and calcium within 3 hours of taking your medication. I take my thyroid medication on an empty stomach in the morning and my vitamins at dinnertime. Just something to consider if you are still feeling hypo.

Here's a little blurb on it:

http://thyroid.about.com/library/news/blpitfall1.htm

CAM7
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM

I take my synthroid first thing after waking up with a large glass of water. By the time I have the babies awake, diapies changed, me dressed and showered I can have my breakfast.

If you add milk to your coffee it will hinder the absorption of the synthroid. And like a PP stated certain vitamins will also make absorption of synthroid difficult.

I take my flax, vitamins and probiotics after lunch... at least 4 hours from synthroid.

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
My experience with weaning both girls (DD#1 @ 12m, DD#2 @ 17m) is that I'm quite "hormonal", my skin is nutty, I'm super hungry/fat for about 6m after weaning. My dr told me that this is normal and that the post-weaning effects last longer the longer you BF.

rebeccaravit
08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for your take on this. I didn't experience any of these "symptoms" with my first son since I was already pregnant with #2 when I weaned him.

bubbaray
08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I just felt "off" for many months when I weaned DD#1 and I still feel that way (weaned DD#2 in early June).

ThreeofUs
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Hormones do amazing things after weaning - and it sounds like you're getting more than your share. ITA with the advice on taking synthroid, but this really sounds like hormones to me. That said, it might be that your homonal surges are messing with your thyroid, too - you may want to have TSH checked....