PDA

View Full Version : More ALLERGY Bracelet Questions-Advise please :)

newmomto1
08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
We got our bracelet from StickyJ today & I love it for DD!
I put it on her & she cried like crazy for about 5 minutes, then she was fine & now she loves it

I do think I want to redo her plaque though.
This is what I did:
I did this plaque: http://www.stickyj.com/cr1220.html
I have her name & allergies with our phone #s listed on the back.

I think I would've been better off to put the specific allergies on the front (as some of you mentioned) I didn't read your posts until after I placed my order.

Her allergies are eggs, milk, & peanut.

My question is, since I am doing it over, how specific should I be??

As discussed here, there are those people that don't get it (milk allergies=no cheese, etc)

I still plan to have her first name & our ph #s on the back (out of view).

Another question: I noticed most of you put "I carry an Epipen"

Should I put that?

DD is 19 mos old.

Obviously, she doesn't have it on her...but it would be available where she is (preschool, etc)...how should I word it??

I will welcome any & all suggesstions as I am new to this & want DD safe!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

LarsMal
08-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it could get really crowded if you go beyond just "milk". I completely understand that some people don't get that milk= no cheese, casein, lactose, etc., but that could take up A LOT of room!! What about using "dairy" in there? I haven't made mine yet, so I don't know if there is a "/" mark, but milk/dairy might be a good option, if it can be done.

I've also been thinking about the epi pen thing. I think I might put "I'm an epi pen kid" or something like that instead of "I carry an epi pen" b/c, like you said, my DS doesn't carry it himself.

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head!

bubbaray
08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't (yet) have a bracelet for DD#2 (19m). But, I've been kicking around getting one.

I'm in Canada and here, Medicalert has a nurse help you figure out what to put on the back (their emblem is the only thing on the front). So, I don't get to choose, KWIM?

I would probably put dairy, not milk. I would be concerned that someone would say, "oh, cheese isn't milk".

I would put "has EpiPen" or just "EpiPen". IMO, in an emergency, if she is not with her caregivers, at least the EMS crew would give her epinepherine if they can't find her injector.

Tondi G
08-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I would put dairy allergy not just Milk allergy.... I think "Has Epipen" would work and keep it from getting too crowded.

DrSally
08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I'd put dairy. The most you can do is give the info. Hopefully most people will know what dairy means. This is just a backup, you will be there to tell people what she can/can't have.

newmomto1
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd put dairy. The most you can do is give the info. Hopefully most people will know what dairy means. This is just a backup, you will be there to tell people what she can/can't have.

Okay, another question (sorry!).
So far the only reaction DD has ever had is a few hives that we treat right away w/ Benedryl. We have never needed to use the Epipen.
I saw some sample bracelets that said "Mild: Benedryl / Severe: Epipen"
I am not sure how I feel about that...but I guess I would maybe like the Benedryl on there somewhere??
What about:
Hives only: Benedryl
Anaphylaxis: Epipen

Am I thinking about this too much?????

trales
08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Simple is better. In an emergency, you don't want care providers to be parsing out language. You want simple, straight facts. You will have educated her caregivers on the details, hopefully the bracelet will only be if EMS has been called b/c the rxn is too severe for benedryl and her caregivers feel additional help is necessary and you were not reachable.

I would really go for easy to read, and as few words as possible. Remember the phrase "keep is simple stupid" as you figure out what to right. You want someone with minimum education to be able to figure out what it says and call for help.

newmomto1
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, I just placed my order.
It's probably too wordy, but I figured better safe than sorry & I am seeing double from working on this so long!

FrontLine1 : FOOD ALLERGIES
FrontLine2 : Egg,Peanut,Milk
FrontLine3 : Cheese & ALL
FrontLine4 : Dairy -OVER-...

BackLine1 : "Alexandra"
BackLine2 : I have Epipen
BackLine3 : CALL 911!!
BackLine4 : Then my parents
BackLine5 : mom's cell
BackLine6 : dad's cell

DrSally
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, I just placed my order.
It's probably too wordy, but I figured better safe than sorry & I am seeing double from working on this so long!

FrontLine1 : FOOD ALLERGIES
FrontLine2 : Egg,Peanut,Milk
FrontLine3 : Cheese & ALL
FrontLine4 : Dairy -OVER-...

BackLine1 : "Alexandra"
BackLine2 : I have Epipen
BackLine3 : CALL 911!!
BackLine4 : Then my parents
BackLine5 : mom's cell
BackLine6 : dad's cell

FYI, IF you have printing on the front, they automatically write (see other side) on the top line of the medallion, so "OVER" may be redundant and take up space that could make the other words bigger, KWIM? I also put FOOD ALLERGIES in Caps b/c I wanted it to stand out, but they printed it the same as the other words (upper and lower). I contacted them and they are sending me a new one. So that was good CS.

newmomto1
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
FYI, IF you have printing on the front, they automatically write (see other side) on the top line of the medallion, so "OVER" may be redundant and take up space that could make the other words bigger, KWIM? I also put FOOD ALLERGIES in Caps b/c I wanted it to stand out, but they printed it the same as the other words (upper and lower). I contacted them and they are sending me a new one. So that was good CS.

Oh wow...thank you so much for telling me!
I just sent them an email & will call them first thing tomorrow.
:)

M&Mmom
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I finally ordered mine.
Front: ALLERGIES
Front2: ASTHMA
Front 3: Dairy,
Front 4: Egg, Peanut

Special Instructions: Please center and make lines 1 & 2 larger than 3 & 4.

Back: I carry an
Back 2: EpiPen -
Back 3: Call 911 &
Back 4 (cell #)

I decided not to put Benedryl even though DD has only had hives to dairy too because I figure if all she needs is Benedryl they won't call 911. Also, the doc assures me that if there is any question to give the EpiPen as it won't hurt and will help. I didn't put names on them because it made me a little uncomfortable. Now that I have thought about it (again!) I could put the name on the back as that is covered unless someone takes it off, but oh well. I hope they make the front top lines all capitals and larger, but we'll see how it looks when I get them.