PDA

View Full Version : So upset about sunscreen!

mykidsmom
08-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Not sure even where to post this. I have been using Blue Lizard sun screen on my kids all summer and just love it. Today for the first time we were in a pool for an extended period of time (3 hours total in the sun and in the pool for about half that time) and my kids got burned!

I chose a physical sunscreen instead of a chemical sunscreen on purpose because I like that it sits on top of the skin rather then soaking into it, but did not even think about how it would wash off in the pool. I had no idea I need to reapply it and really dont know how often either.

For those that use Blue Lizard can you please tell me how you use it when in the pool. How do you avoid a sunburn!

I just feel awful that my normally pale little children are red!!

Rainbows&Roses
08-24-2008, 12:32 AM
We use California Baby which is similar to Blue Lizard in that it is a physical sunscreen and I have found that if we are going to be in the pool for over an hour or so, it really needs to be reapplied. It is only water resistant, not waterproof.

brittone2
08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
We use CA baby quite a bit as well. I usually reapply when they come out of the water. My kids aren't usually in for more than 20-30 mins at a time without some kind of break.

I also use UV Naturals. That product says it retains its SPF after 40 mins in the water (I'd still reapply). It has a thicker/stickier texture but it seems to hang around a little longer than CA Baby. IMO both are good products.

MarisaSF
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear about the sunburn! :( Ouchie!

FWIW, I put the kids in UPF hats and long-sleeve rashguards whenever we're outdoors at pool or beach. That way, I don't need to worry as much about sunscreen washing or perspiring off. I still put sunblock on their legs, hands, neck, and faces, but that's a lot fewer inches of skin to worry about.

We also use physical blocks and, yes, I've heard to reapply at least hourly. Since I'm forgetful ;), the UPF clothing are my good friends. :)

Tondi G
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
we reapply after about an hour or so... and my boys wear rash guard shirts to keep their burn prone shoulders from getting too much sun! We were at Disneyland for 3 days last week and used UV Naturals and no one burned... I was thrilled!

hillview
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
We do rash guards -- long sleeve shirts and long shorts -- below the knee -- and hats (hats are not on 100% of the time). We reapply every 2 hours. We use CA Baby and have had no burns.
Sorry to hear about the burn!
/hillary