PDA

View Full Version : How to carry 2?

KrisM
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Is there a way I can wear 2 kids. DD really wants to be carried when I have DS2 in the Moby Wrap. I can carry her in my arms for a bit, but it's hard because it's really only using 1 arm and she's heavy!

I was thinking I might be able to put her on my back in a Mei Tai with the straps more of a backpack style, so they aren't crossing over DS2.

Has anyone done this? I also have a Patapum, which might be even easier, but it's less flexible, so we'll see.

DS2 is 6 weeks and DD is 2 and is 32 lbs.

Wife_and_mommy
08-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know that this will be helpful but can you have them take turns being held? I switched my two off so whoever wasn't being carried/walking was riding in the stroller. If you have a double DS1 could help with baby by holding a paci or comforting.

I have seen two ring slings being used at once, one on each hip. It was with twins though.

Hth and congratulations!!:cheerleader1:

KrisM
08-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know that this will be helpful but can you have them take turns being held? I switched my two off so whoever wasn't being carried/walking was riding in the stroller. If you have a double DS1 could help with baby by holding a paci or comforting.

I have seen two ring slings being used at once, one on each hip. It was with twins though.

Hth and congratulations!!:cheerleader1:

Me at the zoo last week -I started with DD and DS2 in the stroller and DS1 walking. I ended with DS2 in the Moby, DD on my shoulders, and DS1 walking and me pushing an empty stroller. DS1 doesn't really want to stroller any more if he can walk. DS2 still mostly sleeps, but wakes when I get him out of the Moby.

I'll see if I can try that a bit more though. It might work. I will say I hate hauling the double around. I love the stroller, but it takes up 2/3 of my trunk space, so I can't just leave it in all the time.

Wife_and_mommy
08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Me at the zoo last week -I started with DD and DS2 in the stroller and DS1 walking. I ended with DS2 in the Moby, DD on my shoulders, and DS1 walking and me pushing an empty stroller. DS1 doesn't really want to stroller any more if he can walk. DS2 still mostly sleeps, but wakes when I get him out of the Moby.

I'll see if I can try that a bit more though. It might work. I will say I hate hauling the double around. I love the stroller, but it takes up 2/3 of my trunk space, so I can't just leave it in all the time.

LOL. I know about the double. Mine is a Combi so not the easiest to steer.

So you were carrying your DD *on* your shoulders w/ DS2 in the Moby? Holy jeepers. I'd last about...scratch that...I wouldn't even try that.:ROTFLMAO:

When DS was small I held him in a sling/bjorn and pushed DD. I also started teaching her around 22M to hold the stroller when I allowed her to walk. She, to this day, knows if I tap the stroller handle, I need her to hold it.

Another thing I'd suggest is trying to give her her cuddles at home so she's not dying for them when you're out trying to wrangle all three kiddos. You could also have something fun/special for her to do in the stroller so she's not feeling relegated away from you.

I would also let DS1 know he needs to ride sometimes(when you deem necessary). If he's agreeable to being the "big brother helper", he could read to the younger ones or share/talk with them about whatever to entertain them. Big responsibilities come with being a big brother. :D

Just a couple thoughts. Hope they're helpful. :)

sads
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Here's a website talking about carrying two, one in an Ergo, and the other in a wrap (Mei Tei?):

http://www.the-ergo-lady.com/ergo-baby-carrier/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=27

sads
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Hmm, maybe I can't post a link to these boards (I'm pretty new!) I had posted a reply with a link to the "The Ergo Lady", who has a page on wearing 2 kids, one in the Ergo and one in a Mei Tei.

JacksMommy
08-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Mei tai would definitely work, as would a buckle carrier used to carry your older one your back. :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, my DD never wanted to be held until DS came along. Now, I've been known to let HER choose which stroller she wants to ride in/on - and that has made a difference in saving my back. She has definite opinions, so I just try to go with them.

KrisM
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Here's a website talking about carrying two, one in an Ergo, and the other in a wrap (Mei Tei?):

http://www.the-ergo-lady.com/ergo-baby-carrier/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=27

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure how she gets the Mei Tai one out without disturbing the Ergo child. I can't follow the straps, etc. I'll have to practice.

DS is getting big fast, so we're getting ready to move on from the Moby. I think 15 lbs or so was the limit I found it comfy with DD. So, another few weeks at most.

I'll try the Mei Tai and Patapum and see how it goes.

KrisM
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, my DD never wanted to be held until DS came along. Now, I've been known to let HER choose which stroller she wants to ride in/on - and that has made a difference in saving my back. She has definite opinions, so I just try to go with them.

Good idea. I'll try that, too.

KrisM
08-28-2008, 05:42 PM
LOL. I know about the double. Mine is a Combi so not the easiest to steer.

So you were carrying your DD *on* your shoulders w/ DS2 in the Moby? Holy jeepers. I'd last about...scratch that...I wouldn't even try that.:ROTFLMAO:

I have a Baby Jogger, which is easy to steer, fortunately.

Yes, DD is on my shoulders w/DS2 in the Moby. Not fun, but it's easier than trying to hold her in one arm and having my arm completely fall off. I just anchor her foot so she can't whack DS2 in the head :).