PDA

View Full Version : Scars?

lexie's mom
08-24-2008, 04:03 AM
My 3 year old DD got hit on the side of her nose with a basketball and it actually cut her nose. (Of course, DH was the one to pick her up to but the ball in the hoop and when it came down, it got her.) Coincidentally, she had a dermatologist apt 3 days after the incident. The dr said it may scar. There is a chunk of skin missing from her nose and it does look deep. He also really did not believe in Merderma. He stated to keep it heavily mositurized with Vaseline. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about putting something else on it. I am switching between Vaseline, Aquifor, and Shea Butter.

Thanks,
Stacey

BeachBum
08-24-2008, 07:56 AM
We rub vitamin E capsules (broken open) on ours. It does seem to help.

JBaxter
08-24-2008, 08:10 AM
when i had my melanoma surgery on my upper arm my plastic surgeon recommened cocoa butter 2x a day He also gave me a script for something called scar guard. I'd trust a plastic surgeon over a dermotologist.

ThreeofUs
08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
You know, I've always found that even with minimal help, kids rarely scar. Try vitamin E or cocoa butter after the scab has fallen off. I'll bet you notice a big difference over the course of about a month.

lexie's mom
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I had forgotten about Vitamin E. I will also try cocoa butter. I really thought about taking her to a plastic surgeon just for advice on what to put on it but I thought I was overreacting. I am going to look online and see if Scar Guard comes in a non-prescription form. I think I also want to see immediate results, thanks for reminding me that I do need to wait a month.

Stacey

Tondi G
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
My sister had skin cancer removed from her face and the doctor had her put Polysporin on it for several days and then she was to keep it wet with Aquahor for a long time while it healed. She as no scarring from it. I also had a horse riding accident and fell and broke my nose and had a huge gouge out of the side of my nose and scrapes all over my face. I too kept it really moist with Polysporin and then aquaphor or maybe it was vaseline at the time. I have no visible scar from it... my mom was amazed.