PDA

View Full Version : How can I prevent dark blue jeans from fading?

gatorsmom
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Will I never be able to wash my new dark blue denim jeans with my other dark colors? Will they bleed forever?

My main question is- is there something I can wash my new jeans in to seal in the dye or just get most of the fading done in one fell swoop? I'd like to be able to throw these jeans in with the rest of my dark colors. Is that ever going to be a possibility?

tia

dcmom2b3
08-25-2008, 11:19 PM
White vinegar in the rinse water has worked for me to set the dye in multicolored swimsuits. Never tried it on jeans, though I should have come to think of it.

IME even w/o the vinegar, jeans eventually stop bleeding dye. But exactly when . . . hard to know.

mommybex
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I always wash new dark jeans inside out, at least for the first 5-6 washes or so. DH has some super dark ones that I will probably always wash inside out, and I've never had a color-bleeding problem!

elektra
08-26-2008, 01:14 AM
No answer here, but I have my own psuedo-solution. Maybe you already do this (or maybe you think it's really gross) but I wear jeans several times before washing them.

ha98ed14
08-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Wash them inside out with cold water.

Neatfreak
08-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Washing inside out in cold water and then hanging to dry (never in the dryer) has worked out better for me.

gatorsmom
08-26-2008, 02:32 AM
No answer here, but I have my own psuedo-solution. Maybe you already do this (or maybe you think it's really gross) but I wear jeans several times before washing them.

LOL. I wear my jeans several time too, but at some point you gotta wash 'em. Then I'm back to my same old problem.

I'm going to try the vinegar rinse because I think I've heard of that before. And I'm going to wash them on cold inside out. And I guess then I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

ThreeofUs
08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
I've got to say that I keep all the dark jeans in the house sequestered to their own wash. I've tried every trick in the book, but every time I wash them and look in the washer, the water is *dark*.

I rationalize this because I've read that jeans fabric and hardware are hard on other, more fragile clothes. And, with DH wearing jeans of various darknesses almost every day, at least when he's teaching and in his lab, we always have a full load....

saschalicks
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
White vinegar in the wash. Make sure the jeans are inside out. I've done the vinegar in the first 2 loads JIC. I was told this in HS by the jeans "expert" at Nordstrom. LOL!

gatorsmom
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
White vinegar in the wash. Make sure the jeans are inside out. I've done the vinegar in the first 2 loads JIC. I was told this in HS by the jeans "expert" at Nordstrom. LOL!

Very cool. Now, how much white vinegar do I add to the wash-one cup? two cups? Is this just an initial vinegar rinse, or do you mean to add vinegar to a load that contains laundry detergent too?