PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

gatorsmom
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
My sweet, healthy, 9mo baby girl has breasts. Lol. That sounded funny. what I mean is she has more breast tissue than any other baby girl I've ever seen. I'd guess she has about half a tablespoon on each side. And she is a skinny baby- very little chub on this girl- so they stand out.

Is that normal? I'm not breast feeding any more so I know it's not my hormones causing this. I'm not too worried about it but I'm a little surprised.

any experience with this?

randomkid
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
No BTDT experience, but I did a search. Found several sources that all say the same thing, but this one explained it the best.

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/ci34.asp

Most of the info I found said they could go away or remain unchanged. You should just keep an eye on them and if there are changes, then see the ped. I would mention it at your next well visit just to be sure.

ha98ed14
08-26-2008, 01:20 AM
According to my ped, it is normal. My DD had/ has small breast "buds," but what really concerned me was that there were tiny hard spots (felt like a tiny pebble) under the fatty tissue in her nipple area. I asked the ped about it and he told me that all babies have some of the mother's hormones in them at birth. In boys it makes their testicles swell to the size of apricots. In girls in makes there breast area/ nipples swell. But girls also have their own low levels of estrogen that their own bodies are making. The ped said that this low level of estrogen is enough for the girl babies to keep their breast buds even after the mom's hormones are long worn off. They can even have tiny cysts in their breast buds, which is what my DD had. He assured me she will be fine, so I am not worried about my DD. But if you are still worried, call your ped.

Moneypenny
08-26-2008, 09:59 AM
DD had breast buds when she was an infant. She was a real chub of a baby so I assumed it was just part of her cute chub, but the ped felt them and said they were actual breast buds. He said they may go away over time or may not. He also said that if any nosy relatives ever said anything about it we should just respond that they are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about it.

I think she still had the buds when she was 3, but now that she's 4 they have either diminished or else I'm just so used to them that I don't see them anymore. No one else has ever made a comment about them.

LarsMal
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
DD has had breast buds for quite some time now. DH jokes that she'll need a training bra for her 2nd birthday.

She's only in the 25% for weight, but she has some good chunk on her.

I guess it's not uncommon.