PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your child fish oil/flaxseed oil supplements?

fivi2
08-26-2008, 09:54 AM
So the low carb thread has had me researching... I am not going to change my dcs' diets (they are 2.5), but I am a little concerned that they aren't getting enough fat. Not intentionally but just because of what they typically eat. I am usually not big on supplements - I prefer to try and meet their needs through a variety of foods, but we don't eat fish or red meat, they don't drink milk (they do eat a lot of cheese and sometimes yogurt). They don't really like peanut butter etc. They do eat a lot of avocado, though.

I was wondering about fish oil or flaxseed oil. Does anyone give either to their young kids? Which one/what brand? Ummm, is fish oil safe? (One of my big concerns about fish is the high amount of toxins)
TIA!

cdlamis
08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I give my kids (3 and 6) cod liver oil every morning (pure oil, not the chewable capsules). I give 1/4 tsp each. We use the Nordic Naturals brand- its peach flavored and not bad. The oil feel is more icky than the actual taste.
Surprisingly, my kids enjoy taking it. We make a game out of it- we all take hold our drink in our hand and take a swig as soon as we get the oil.

brittone2
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
We give Nordic Naturals or Carlson's lemon oil. Both of my kids love it too (far more than I do). DD usually protests that she can only have a small amount...she always wants a second helping ;)

We also really promote eating a lot of dietary fats around here in general.

mommy111
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
We use a strawberry flavored brand (I don't have it at hand but I think its nordic naturals). I chose it specifically because it said on the bottle that they test for heavy metals (eg mercury) at their lab and that this fish oil has had no detectable levels of mercury/heavy metals.

baileygirl
08-26-2008, 11:34 AM
We use a strawberry flavored Nordic Naturals, DS is 21 months.

fivi2
08-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone! I am going to try to sneak more fats in - I don't leave them out intentionally. They just seem to prefer a lot of fruits and even veggies! (I'm not complaining).

I will look into the supplements mentioned and see about adding those :)

brittone2
08-26-2008, 11:44 AM
With what you described, what about offering a lot of full-fat dips to up the fats along with the fruits/veggies? You could do whole fat greek yogurt seasoned with some garlic, onion, and other savory spices for dipping veggies, or hummus with a little extra olive oil, or tsatsiki...

or you could use the yogurt plain or sweeten lightly and have them dip fruit, etc. in it.

KBecks
08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I have thought about giving fish oil to the kids but haven't really looked into it in detail yet. I am taking it and will continue to throughout pregnancy and probably BF and maybe longer. Would love to learn more about it.

CAM7
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I give my kids (2.5 yrs & 3.5 yrs) flax oil everyday. It's suppose to help with brain development. I've notice their skin is super soft now and healthy looking....and DD had some mild excema which is gone now.

For some kids it curbs behaviour problems and helps with sleep issues.

Search on MDC for more info... we use the Barleans brand. My DD (21 yrs) takes it now too...she says it helps with moods and sleep. I think it's helped regulate my cycle.

maestramommy
08-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I give my kids (2.5 yrs & 3.5 yrs) flax oil everyday. It's suppose to help with brain development. I've notice their skin is super soft now and healthy looking....and DD had some mild excema which is gone now.

Search on MDC for more info... we use the Barleans brand. My DD (21 yrs) takes it now too...she says it helps with moods and sleep. I think it's helped regulate my cycle.

That is interesting! We're trying out not using lotion during summer since we're now living in a humid place, but Dora's legs, esp. her knees still look a little dry.

What type of flax oil do you give your kids (caplet, liquid, etc)? And where can I find the Barleans brand? Thanks!

1964pandora
08-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Supplementing with Omega 3's is one of the best things I've ever done. My kids have glossy hair and skin, but more importantly, it's just one of the best all around things we can all do for our health. Omega 3's are helpful to the body in so many ways and the typical American diet just doesn't contain much, or any Omega 3.

I started out giving them flax oil when they were very young, even when I was breastfeeding, but we now use Coromega which is fish oil. I didn't want to give them fish oil because we are vegetarian, but I became convinced that fish oil is the gold standard, so we replaced flax oil with that. They love the Coromega because it is an orange, pudding-like substance that tastes like baby aspirin. I was influenced to give my kids additional Omega 3 after reading the book, "Superimmunity for Kids."

Susan

CAM7
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Melinda, I buy our flax oil at the local natural foods store. You'll find the Barleans brand in the frig in the vitamin section.

You can always get the smallest bottle to test out whether you like it or not... you can order it online at the Barleans website too.

jhrabosk
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM

My acupuncturist recommended flax to help keep things moving, IYKWIM. I'm not sure that it's helped in that department, but I also felt that it had a positive effect on my cycles and PMS issues.

Along those lines, I've also wondered recently if I should give DD flax or fish oil, since I've seen it come up several times here. Other than the obvious animal vs. plant difference, why else would one choose fish vs. flax? And what are the advantages to taking fish oil?

TIA!

brittone2
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
double post. Whoops.

brittone2
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Along those lines, I've also wondered recently if I should give DD flax or fish oil, since I've seen it come up several times here. Other than the obvious animal vs. plant difference, why else would one choose fish vs. flax? And what are the advantages to taking fish oil?

TIA!
nak-
Not everyone converts the ALA in flax very well. Fish oil is more bioavailable from what I've read.

There was also one study about flax possibly upping the risk of prostate cancer. I still use some ground flax infrequently, but I don't like to overdo the flax. I think the research on flax lignans mimicking estrogen is still a bit too muddled for me to really feel good about using it frequently. (do they block the estrogen receptor sites or are they too close to our own estrogen and put the body into sort of an estrogen overload? I've read mixed thoughts on this).

Flax removes much of the concern about fish oils having contaminants (although the good brands of fish oil products supposedly test for mercury, etc.)

YMMV with what you feel most comfortable doing.

K-Bear
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
besides supplements, are there any ways of sneaking fish oil/flax into food? (other than making more fish, of course!)

Tondi G
08-26-2008, 04:07 PM
besides supplements, are there any ways of sneaking fish oil/flax into food? (other than making more fish, of course!)

If you get a coffee grinder and then buy Whole Flax seeds you can grind it up and sprinkle it into spaghetti sauce, or baked items. Some people mix the fish oil or flax seed oil into yogurt or smoothies or into oatmeal (I wish my kids would eat oatmeal).

I bought the nordic naturals once and my kids were ok about it for a little while and then started rejecting it. I really need to get it for myself and my older DS needs some help in the skin dept so I think I will start pushing it on them again! With sick season approaching I think anything to help their immune systems can't hurt!

calv
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
how early can you give a child flax seed oil? I ask because my 10 month old is having poop problems and heck flax seed could help w/the omegas as well as making her more regular. she's nursing and has very little food so this poop thing is driving me nuts. I hate see her suffer/cry so much.

ETA: peaches, prunes, pears just doesn't cut it when i give her the real/fresh fruits/veggies :(

BTW, I have a bottle of the flax oil and I got it at trader joes. just worries me a little bit because it wasn't in the fridge section.

maestramommy
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Supplementing with Omega 3's is one of the best things I've ever done. My kids have glossy hair and skin, but more importantly, it's just one of the best all around things we can all do for our health. Omega 3's are helpful to the body in so many ways and the typical American diet just doesn't contain much, or any Omega 3.

I started out giving them flax oil when they were very young, even when I was breastfeeding, but we now use Coromega which is fish oil. I didn't want to give them fish oil because we are vegetarian, but I became convinced that fish oil is the gold standard, so we replaced flax oil with that. They love the Coromega because it is an orange, pudding-like substance that tastes like baby aspirin. I was influenced to give my kids additional Omega 3 after reading the book, "Superimmunity for Kids."

Susan

Is this done by simply giving them cod liver oil? Is that what people mean when they say fish oil? Or is it something else? Is Coromega available in some form that is palatable to little kids? Mine don't take any supplements right now. Thank you!

brittone2
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Is this done by simply giving them cod liver oil? Is that what people mean when they say fish oil? Or is it something else? Is Coromega available in some form that is palatable to little kids? Mine don't take any supplements right now. Thank you!

nak-
CLO and fish oil are different.

MamaMolly
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Fish oil dosing? How much for a 2 year old (25 pounder)? How much, how many times per week?

I've been taking the fish oil capsules from Costco and I have to admit that I give them to my DD and she LOVES them. I'm so scared that it is too much that I only give her one a week but she LOOOOVES her 'fishy-chewie'.

Would you guys suggest switching to Nordic Naturals or another one geared to kids? I kind of like it that she'll eat the fish flavored ones now, but I'm willing to switch if it is safer. TIA!!

fivi2
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
nak-
CLO and fish oil are different.

What are the differences? I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess I would have thought they were the same?

Thanks to everyone for all of the great info!

ETA: Nevermind - I did some googling :)

vludmilla
08-26-2008, 06:49 PM
My understanding is that CLO has natural Vitamin A and D whereas fish oil does not. There may be other differences that I am missing, but Cod Liver Oil does derive from fish.

Gena
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I started off giving DS the Nordic Naturals Junior Omega 3-6-9. This is a burstable capsule (like biting into a cherry tomato) with a lemon flavor. DS loved these and always asked for his "fishy pills."

About a week ago I decided to switch him to Coromega because I decided he needed more Omega-3 and less Omega-6 and 9. He takes the regular Coromega, not the children's formula because I want him to have more EPA than DHA. In the past few days I have noticed improvement in his skin condition, so I'm hoping that this is an indication that I'm headed in the right direction.

karolyp
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
My son suffers from constant EIs so I bought the book, Childhood Ear Infections, a Parents Guide to Alternative Treatments. The author has a ton of information in there about the fatty acids. He recommends fish oil vs CLO as there are concerns about getting too much vitamin A and D which limits the amount of fatty acids you can get from CLO. Additionally, he recommends the following amounts of fatty acids for ages 1-3:
1/2 tsp flax oil
1 perle borage oil
500 mg fish oil or algae oil

Lastly, there is a chart in the book for sources of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids that i always refer too:
Omega 6 oils consists of
LA: Corn, Safflower, Sunflower, Sesame, and Mother's Milk
GLA: Evening primrose, Mother's Milk, Borage, and Pumpkin
AA: Meat, Eggs, Cow's Milk, Butter, Mother's Milk

Omega 3 Oils consist of:
LNA: flax, walnut, soybean, mother's milk
EPA/DHA: salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, trout, mother's milk

hth

MamaMolly
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
, he recommends the following amounts of fatty acids for ages 1-3:
1/2 tsp flax oil
1 perle borage oil
500 mg fish oil or algae oil

Is that per day or per week? TIA!

brittone2
08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I feel comfortable with the A and D in the CLO that we use. Yes, both can be toxic if overdone, but the RDA for vitamin D is thought by many to be significantly low. The reason I prefer CLO personally is that I feel many of us are quite low in D. We do sun and CLO to get our D levels up. We also use pastured eggs, etc. which are good natural sources of D.

I personally wouldn't want to advise anyone on dosing because you have to weigh the risks/benefits, and look at the amount and ratios of A and D in the CLO you are using. Dosing is tough to share with someone else because the A and D amounts vary depending on the supplement. Different CLOs contain varying amounts of A and D.

I understand the concern regarding overdosing on A and D, but I personally have done my own research and feel comfortable with CLO over fish oil for my own family.

s7714
08-27-2008, 12:17 AM

My mother started taking flax seed daily earlier this year, when her eye doctor recommended it. She was having bad dry eye issues and the doctor said taking flaxseed oil daily (vs. those much advertised prescription eye drops) would probably do the trick, and it did!

I've been contemplated taking flax seed daily too, but hadn't sat down to research if it was o.k. to take while TTC. Does anyone know the answer to that by chance?

1964pandora
08-27-2008, 01:18 AM

Melinda, I don't know whether you got your answer because I didn't have time to read all of the posts, but you can order a sample of Coromega off their website to see whether your kids will eat it. It's just one of those things that some kids will eat and some won't. My kids are totally picky eaters but they lap this Coromega up. I presented it to them by saying that it was "orange pudding" so they thought it was something great. It tastes like baby aspirin and I've heard that that orange baby aspirin taste was really researched with kids and that most kids go for it. Coromega comes in individual serving foil pouches. It comes in different flavors, but I've only tried the orange.

Ssuan

CAM7
08-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I've been contemplated taking flax seed daily too, but hadn't sat down to research if it was o.k. to take while TTC. Does anyone know the answer to that by chance?

I would think so! It's helped regulate my cycles...and I got pg at 41! :-)

You may want to do a search on fertilityfriend.com ... that website helped me a lot while we were ttcing.

maestramommy
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Melinda, I don't know whether you got your answer because I didn't have time to read all of the posts, but you can order a sample of Coromega off their website to see whether your kids will eat it. It's just one of those things that some kids will eat and some won't. My kids are totally picky eaters but they lap this Coromega up. I presented it to them by saying that it was "orange pudding" so they thought it was something great. It tastes like baby aspirin and I've heard that that orange baby aspirin taste was really researched with kids and that most kids go for it. Coromega comes in individual serving foil pouches. It comes in different flavors, but I've only tried the orange.

Ssuan

Thank you!

bubbaray
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM

I've taken flax seed oil capsules daily for a long time and did while TTC and PG with both DDs. No complaints from my RE or peri or OB.

HTH

bubbaray
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Canola oil is high in omega 3s. I cook with it instead of pretty much all other oils now. For a while, I was adding it to DD#2's food b/c of her allergies.

bubbaray
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
No.

DD#2 is anaphylactic to finned fish, so we have zero fish products or anything containing fish products (like Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce, for example) in the house.