PDA

View Full Version : Public vs private K? help.

Twoboos
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
The school year hasn't even started yet for my DDs but I'm already thinking about next year!

By Nov I will have to decide on sending DD1 to public of private K. I don't know how to judge the curriculum since they seem to cover the same things, but can't help that think the private K will be better simply b/c it's a longer day.

Our public K is only 1/2 day. 9-11:30am and 12:30-3:05pm. There is no full day option. They swtich morning/aftn halfway through the year. I believe she will take the bus. K is housed at the same school as grade 1. There is no additional cost for sending her to public. (Besides our already outrageously high taxes with which the town "can't" afford full day, but I digress...)

The private K is at her current preschool. Mon Half day, Tu-Fri full day. DD2 will also be going there for her last year of preschool. It is dropoff, no bus, about a 10min ride each way. Based on this year's tuition, I am guessing it would cost about $6200/yr. Plus DD2's tuition, guessing around $3k.

I am struggling. In looking at the schedule for DD2 next year, I would need to figure what times she can go so I will be home for DD1 getting on/off the bus (need to find this year's bus schedule to estimate). Or, I could send them both to the same place and just drive there 5 days a week, plus some days multiple drives as DD2's day will be shorter than DD1's.

Either way I think I'm in for some major running around next year. And the add'l $6k is K-I-L-L-I-N-G me.

help. wwyd?

Jen841
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
What we decided....
I am a working Mom with 2 kids, #2 is will be 3 this fall...
My choices were:
1. Public 1/2 day - would need am, then be bussed to daycare for pm (to join second half of their full-day program)
2. Private at daycare - full-day program, and would provide care from 6:30-6:30 at needed
3. Catholic school - full-day, busing provided, good (inexpensive) aftercare program

Per DH's upbringing, we picked 3. I am already stressed about the two not being at the same place. I know it will work. He is ready for a change. I would have easily done option 2, but since we got into 3 (competitive) we went with it. J is so happy to go to school like daddy did. After 5 years of full day daycare I needed a full day instructional program for him, and at 5 he is ready to move to a 'big kid' school.

I vote that ease overrides price if you can afford the price. K is not a deal breaker IMO and we can switch for First Grade if necessary. Many in our area go private for full-day K, then move to public for 1.

Good luck! We fretted about K so much DH thinks I am going to be a basketcase when it comes to college for the boys!

lorinick
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Since it sounds as if your asam. I would go with the public school system. I understand if your working and all day really makes sense. Where I live K is half days too. Many working parents stay with private K. I was working part time when ds 1 was in K. But our school did have extended day K at a price and I chose that. Our town has a great school district. It's known for the schools. People move here for the schools. It sounds to me you would do less running around it you child was in the Public K. My child loved taking the bus. It was he's favorite thing. By going to the public school he will meet the children he'll be going to school with in first and so on. Good luck. It's always a hard choice. I vote for Public K in your situation.

Twoboos
08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Y'know, I just realized another snag. In public K they switch am/pm halfway through the year. Where is my "break" if DD2 is in school am's only?? ACK!!!

this all makes my head hurt...

kransden
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM
FWIW, the private kinder at dd's preschool was horrible and cost a lot of money. Of course it was supposed to be wonderful. If you are going the private route, I suggest you look in on them throughout the year and see how the kids are doing. That school didn't even have real books, music, p.e. or a library.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I adored our private k and would do it again in a heartbeat. I loved their play based, developmental approach to teaching. It was perfect and everything I wanted for him. I'd pay the $8K again (and I am really cheap!). However, he will be new now if 1st grade. That is a strike, the only one, against it. In your case, at least he will be continuing on in k with friends whereas my ds was new for K too. I would do the private option.

Beth

randomkid
08-27-2008, 01:59 AM
I struggled with this as well, but for different reasons. I think our public school is OK academically, but there have been so many budget cuts in our district/county that the schools are really suffering.

I was all set to send DD to private school. However, I would have had to start her in their preK3 in order to be guaranteed a spot. They wanted her there 5 days a week 8:00-2:45 and I work part time. On those days, she would have been there until 5:00. That's like a job! We decided that was too much at 3yo and went a different route. The more we heard about it, the more it sounds like the school is very strict. We do like their family atmosphere and the communication with the teachers that we know we won't get in public K.

BUT...my oldest stepdaughter is starting college in one year and the younger one is 2 years behind her. We decided that spending that much money on private K just didn't make sense. What does make sense is to invest that money toward DD's college education or for private school when she is older if we are really unhappy with public school. I just don't think it's that important at such a young age. If it's not a struggle financially, I'd say go for private K. However, if finances are an issue, public makes more sense.

I was totally stressed out and frantic to make a decision. I paid a $100 application fee for DD and was all concerned about "getting her a spot". Then, I wasn't sure what to do and kept going back and forth like you are now. When I finally stopped thinking about it for a while, took a step back and relaxed about it, I found the best answer for us came to me. I'm fine with our decision for now and love the preschool we have chosen. I've decided that we will take things one step at a time and can always switch her over later if we are not happy.

I know your reasons are different, but it sounds like the $ is an issue for you. If it's really stressing you out, then public K may be the best choice. I was totally stressed about the money and once we decided against the private school, I felt much better. I just knew we were making the right choice for us.

Good luck and try to step back from it for a while. It helps your perspective.

ThreeofUs
08-27-2008, 02:07 AM
This is a real tough choice - sounds like even minus money considerations there are plusses and minuses on both sides. If your public schools are good, though, personally I'd save the extra $6200 and go that route.

In our situation, the astronomically high taxes we pay don't translate into usable schools. Private school, with its fees and drives, are the only option. (We'd be out of this house and into a good school district with lower taxes if the real estate market would let us....)

Good luck making your decision.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Btw, are you sure there is no bus? Ds's kindergarten was the last "grade" offered at his school (3yo-k). The k's were eligible for bus service through the school district we reside in since we lived more than 1 mile away. Our district is required to provide bussing starting at kindergarten for all residents that register w/ the school district. You might want to look into that w/ your district.

Beth