PDA

View Full Version : Help - 3rd Bday - Boy

Jen841
08-26-2008, 11:08 AM
My poor second child, at a loss as to what to give him for his bday. Considering a membership vs a gift. Celebrating at Hershey Park with just the 4 of us.

We have sandbox, bikes, scooters, trains (Geo Trak that fill a room), tents, dress ups, swings, balls, muscial instruments....

We are blessed to have so much I don't know what new to get him. I could just give him matchbox cars and he would be happy.

If it helps, #1 is 5 so nothing is too worn for #2.

brittone2
08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Do you have a balance bike? That was our gift to DS for his 3rd bday and he's still riding it at 4.5. He is a fairly cautious kid in general, and he was riding it (gliding for 20-30 second periods of time) about 2 months after he got it, so IMO, age 3 was a great time to get one.

Small gift and donation to college fund?

An experience gift or membership to a zoo, museum, aquarium, etc. is always a great idea.

kitmama
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
My second child just had his third birthday, too. People mostly gave him art supplies, Schleich figures and hotwheels cars. He also received a kite, "Varialand", and a magazine subscription ("Ladybug" magazine). His main gift was a treehouse dollhouse from us, which was a huge hit. (I actually posted about it here- it's just a couple posts down the list right now.)

We also have a lot of stuff from DS 1, and DS 2 isn't that pressed about getting toys. We made sure to have his party at a park where he'd have a blast, and we really made an effort to make him feel special. That's really what he liked most- being the center of attention and being made to feel extra special all day.

His favorite toys at home (other than the dollhouse, right now) are playsilks, Schliech knights, Papo pirates, a foam knight's sword and shield set, sand and water bins outside, hotwheels cars and track, books, magnatiles and a tunnel for crawling through.

HTH!

CiderLogan
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Love the magazine idea. My DDs LOVE getting magazines in the mail addressed to them! What about something personalized with his name (or books that feature characters with his name - do an Amazon search or order one of those name books) or something? Or the balance bike idea above -- we gave our second DD a Hotwalk for her 2nd birthday (it was a 'big' gift yet didn't duplicate something we already had).

BeachBum
08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
My little guy really wants a CD/ MP3 player of his own. Someone posted about one in the bargain section a while back. The Sansa Shaker...
I bought one but haven't given it to him yet. I know Fisher Prices also makes a MP3 player that can be used with headphones or speakers.

kcimato
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I will second the balance bike. I bought my 3y/o grandson one for his birthday in June. He too is a cautios child and mastered it in no time.