PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts On DanActive?

randomkid
08-27-2008, 01:38 AM
DD started preschool last week and, since our first experience in daycare involved continual illness, I started giving her more probiotics and vitamins about a month before school started. I usually give her Jarrow probiotics, but we are running low. I buy them at Whole Foods, but the nearest one is not so convenient. I want to continue giving her some probiotics until I can make a trip to WF. She loves the DanActive. I know it has sugar in it, but in a pinch at least it's something.

I was just wondering if anybody knows the quality of the product and the probiotics that are in it. Is there something better that I can get in the grocery store until I can get over to WF?

Thanks in advance

karolyp
08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Kim - there is a mom&pop natural food store that is closer than whole foods. they carry jarrow, but not baby jarrow, but can order it. it's off of 436 and curry ford and called nature's food market, (407) 207-0067. maybe you could try them for the jarrow?

randomkid
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Kim - there is a mom&pop natural food store that is closer than whole foods. they carry jarrow, but not baby jarrow, but can order it. it's off of 436 and curry ford and called nature's food market, (407) 207-0067. maybe you could try them for the jarrow?

Thanks Karoly! If they carry the capsules, that's what I use. The Jarrow FOS capsules. I just open one up and dump it in DD's milk or juice. It's less expensive than the Baby Jarrow and easier to use. I'll check it out.

I'd still like input on DanActive if anybody has some. DD likes it and sometimes it's easier to get her to drink that rather than her cup of milk or juice. She is mostly a water drinker these days.

Thanks again.

brittone2
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
In a pinch it is probably better than nothing, but I think the sugar negates a lot of the benefits, personally. (ditto eating a high sugar diet w/ probiotics in general).

I'm not sure what you have available in your area, but I personally would probably opt for something like ***e greek yogurt, Stoneyfield plain yogurt, etc. (all unsweetened) and stir in some berries, etc. to sweeten lightly.

I hope she stays healthy during the transition to school.

eta: Darn it, I always forget about the auto-edit on here. That should read F-A-G-E yogurt LOL.

caleymama
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
In a pinch it is probably better than nothing, but I think the sugar negates a lot of the benefits, personally. (ditto eating a high sugar diet w/ probiotics in general).

I'm not sure what you have available in your area, but I personally would probably opt for something like ***e greek yogurt, Stoneyfield plain yogurt, etc. (all unsweetened) and stir in some berries, etc. to sweeten lightly.

I hope she stays healthy during the transition to school.

:yeahthat:

I don't have any personal experience with DanActive. Stonyfield plain whole milk yogurt is SO good, even plain. I find that it doesn't even need sweetening. I also make smoothies for DDs with some plain yogurt, fresh or frozen berries/banana, milk (sometimes) and occasionally add probiotic powder to that. DDs like it just as much as the Stonyfield smoothies they have on occasion.

randomkid
08-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Thanks. I try to limit her sugar intake and think we do a pretty good job when I see what other kids eat (like DD's idea of candy after dinner is 5 little pieces of Pez candy or 5 M&Ms - LOL). Wish I could say the same for myself. I just don't have the willpower to forgo my chocolate addiction! DD is much better than I am. She won't even eat cake and ice cream at b-day parties. When we took a cake to my Dad for his b-day, she wasn't eating her piece. My Dad is always worried that she doesn't eat enough, so he starts saying "Eat your cake" to her. I said "Dad! I don't care if she eats the cake!" He just got that look of realization and said "Oh, yeah." Sorry to digress...

DD is pretty picky, so plain yogurt with stuff mixed in is not an option. She will only eat the pre-flavored stuff which is why I give her the powdered probiotics. She only has yogurt about once a week for this reason. I know the DanActive has more sugar, hence the reason for my post. Just wanted some opinions on it.

Guess I'll try the store that Karoly mentioned and stock up. I tried to buy the largest bottle last time I was at WF, but they were out.

Thanks again, and maybe this will help me control my sugar intake. I know it suppresses immunity and I need to stay healthy, too!

karolyp
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Kim - let me know what happens with that store!