PDA

View Full Version : Please help - What food for a party 1:30 to 3 PM?

anamika
08-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi all,
Looks like we will be having the party at 1:30 (thanks to all who voted) - the kids will play for an hour and then cut the cake and eat at 2:30 PM. I have no clue what to serve for food - to me, it still seems like a really odd time to have a party (but the fact that it won the poll gives me hope that most people will be okay with it!). DH is fine with it too and we're kinda stuck with this place (loooong story).
So if you went to a party at this time, what would you expect in terms of food?
I need suggestions for adults and kids. So far I have samosas and pakoras and maybe some chaat-type things (Indian snack food) but I'm looking for other suggestions.
We're vegetarian.
Please help...I have no ideas at all!
Thanks.

JTsMom
08-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Because it's in between meal times, I'd expect really light stuff only- snack type food. I think what you've already listed sounds great- maybe a fruit or veggie platter too.

anamika
08-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh, great idea. Can't go wrong with fruit.

mom2binsd
08-27-2008, 01:54 PM
As a guest I would have just eaten lunch...I wouldn't expect any other food other than the birthday cake and juice....we had a kid only party for DD's 5th at our house between 1-3 and just served cake and it seemed fine...other parties we've gone to at that time same thing...just cake and something to drink...if parents are staying it's nice to offer them soda or water earlier while the kids are playing.

bubbaray
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
At our parties, I serve a fruit tray and a veggie tray, and chips/tortillas & salsa. And cake. I don't do ice cream and I don't do "meals". I always say "light refreshments" on the evites. Depending on the location of the party, water/juice/milk for kids, coffee/tea/pop for adults.

Just a question, though -- don't Indian/South Asian people have a lot of food at gatherings? That's been my experience. Maybe the expectations are greater from your friends/family?

Have a great party!

Octobermommy
08-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I would not expect any food besides cake/ice cream and a drink.
Fruit or other light snacks if anything.

Hope y'all have a great time!

Melaine
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe some hummus and pita bread....
could be that I am craving it right now...
I agree that cake, ice cream and drinks seem sufficient for that time of day though. Make it easy on yourself, IMO.

kristenk
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Snacks (fruit, crackers, cheese) would be nice, but really not necessary. I think you'd be fine with cake and drinks. Have fun!

Emmas Mom
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Ditto on the cake & drinks. With a party at that time I would never assume actual food would be served.

wendmatt
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I would just do cake at that time. Lots of people here do that time so you don't have to worry about providing food, it's right after lunch and cake time would be around snack time.

Tondi G
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
hmmm ideas would be...

Hummus and Pita or Pita chips

chips n dip/ chips n salsa or guacamole

vegi platter and dip

Fruit salad or fruit platter or just sliced watermelon and grapes

pasta salad

cheese and crackers

pretzels

fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil w/sliced baguette

anamika
08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Yes, Indian events all have a lot of food :)
I think snacks will be good - love the veggie and fruit platter ideas. I think I will just supplement that with some snacks - chips and dip, pretzels or cheese and crackers that everyone recommended.
DH will want samosas and pakoras and I'm not exactly against it :ROTFLMAO: