PDA

View Full Version : Yet another birthday question about timing and food

HIU8
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
We are doing DS's first ever birthday party with friends this year. He will be 4. We are doing it at our local community center's recreation station. the party is 1.5 hours (1 hour in the rec station and 30 minutes for food). They are open to any time during the day (the only day they do them is Sunday). They allocate 1 hour for free play and structured games (led by a staff person), and 30 minutes for food in another room. My question is whether it is a bad idea to just do cake and not pizza if we are not having the party at or around lunch? Is it cheesy to only offer cake? Do I need to have food for the parents anyway? My issue, other than the expense, is that I can't see how 30 minutes is enough time for pizza and cake. We may end up doing it near lunch so we will have to have food. I was thinking of asking the party leader to end the games at 45 or 50 minutes to give us enough time to have the kids eat. What do you think?

bubbaray
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
We did a YMCA party for DD#2 this past April and they alloted 30 min for pizza & cake (pizza was part of the cost of the party, I supplied cake and fruit & veggie trays). 30 min was plenty of time for the food. Most of the kids had pizza (party was from 2:30 - 4:30) and cake. IIRC, only one didn't want pizza and 3-4 didn't have our cake but supplied their own cupcakes due to allergies.

I try to avoid "meal time" parties to lower my "obligation" (self-imposed probably) re providing a meal vs a snack.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
If you can pick any time and don't want to offer lunch, why would you schedule the party in the 11-1 vicinity? You can get away with no meal but you need to be very clear on the invites so people know what to expect. It is actually a pet peeve of mine that people don't give you a heads up on what to expect food wise. Simply include on there what you intend to provide so people can eat before if necessary.

Ideally you should just pick a different time slot, imo.

We have been to many parties that had 30 min for pizza and cake. It is doable but there is no time left for presents usually.

If it is a drop off party, which at 4 it probably won't really be (more parents will stay than will just leave), you don't have to worry about the parents. But, I see no reason to not put out a bowls of fruit and pretzels just in case.

Beth

HIU8
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I'de like to not have the party over lunch and not be obligated to serve pizza. However, I wonder if it is better to have it over lunch than over what may still be naptime for some children. My main worry was about the 30 minute slot for food. Is it ok to just have pizza for the parents as well?

DS has been to about 10 parties over the past year and no one opens presents anymore it seems, so we were not going to include that as party of the party.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Pizza for the parents is great. :)

Could you have the party at 10:30?

Beth

HIU8
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
They will let me do whatever time I want. The timeslot I pick can only be 1.5 hours. I think I am beginning to lean towards a lunch party for DS with pizza, juiceboxes and cake. My next hurdle is to make sure the food is Kosher. I know of a Kosher pizza place nearby and Baskins and Robbins is Kosher so I may just go with that rather than trying to find other alternatives.