PDA

View Full Version : What universal e-mail do you use/like & why?

Emmas Mom
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
I am wanting to create a new e-mail address. We're having issues with the one I use on our home computer (associated with our Cox account) & really want to get one that's universal so I can keep it whenever we move (which we will be doing at least a couple times in the next few years). I've had a Hotmail account for about 10 years but it gets so much junk now & it's associated with my maiden name, etc). I also have a g-mail account but I don't like how g-mail groups related e-mails. I don't really like the format. My Mom loves Yahoo so I'm considering that BUT I understand the Hotmail format. So I'm debating. What do you use, do you like it & why?

LBW
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I use, and love, gmail. I rarely get junk mail in my inbox. You DO get used to the way it groups messages if you use it a lot.

I have my Apple Mail application set up to get mail from my .mac address and my gmail address. So, I usually get my gmail through Mail, and can then sort it into my own folders. But, I also often check gmail through the web when I'm traveling or using my laptop.

maestramommy
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I used to have Earthlink, but when we moved we stopped our cable service, so that was the end of that. I have an email forwarder through my college alumni network. I think all universities/colleges have it. So if I want to give a permanent email addy to someone it's [email protected]. Whenever you change email providers, you just change the address for the forwarding account, and it goes from there. That said, I got a gmail account to replace the Earthlink, so my gmail address is the new "foward to" addy.

I also have a Yahoo account that I use for stuff like CL and Freecycle. I used to get all sorts of crazy spam there, but not anymore. Don't know why.

elliput
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
gmail! I do remember it taking a bit of getting used to with regards to email grouping, but now I love it. I also have a yahoo account and an AOL account, but rarely if ever use them.

mom2binsd
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I've had my yahoo account for 10 years...never had problem....yahoo is so easy to use...most of the spam goes right to the bulk folder so I never see it...occasionally I get spurts of spam...seems the spammers come up with new technology all the time...then yahoo catches on and is able to block most of it.

khm
08-27-2008, 05:18 PM
In your gmail settings you can ungroup the emails.

Or, you can set up your Outlook to use gmail!! I love this option and have mine set up that way. :) (Two separate accounts actually). They have very easy to follow instructions on how to do it.

Thumbs up for gmail, it really rocks.

caleymama
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Gmail!

I also have hotmail (sometimes used, have had it the longest) and yahoo (rarely used) accounts and definitely prefer gmail.

mdb78
08-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I've have and used Yahoo the longest. Gmail comes in 2nd. :)

Emmas Mom
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I can't find any settings in g-mail to "un-group" them. I think I'm going to try ymail (which is basically yahoo). Seems like that's the close second for many. Thanks! :)