PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Lunchboxes -- please explain them to me

bubbaray
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
OK, I'm baffled by this product. How are they different than taking various sized plastic or glass containers in a lunchbag to work/school? The containers look awfully small too (maybe I just eat too much, LOL).

Often I throw leftovers into lunch-sized plastic or glass containers and freeze for myself and the girls for lunch. If you use the LTLB, you'd have to take the food out of the storage container and put it in the LTLB container. Seems like a waste to me.

I'm NOT being critical of those who choose to use this product, but I'm scratching my head over it....

MMMommy
08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
OK, I'm baffled by this product. How are they different than taking various sized plastic or glass containers in a lunchbag to work/school? The containers look awfully small too (maybe I just eat too much, LOL).

Often I throw leftovers into lunch-sized plastic or glass containers and freeze for myself and the girls for lunch. If you use the LTLB, you'd have to take the food out of the storage container and put it in the LTLB container. Seems like a waste to me.

I'm NOT being critical of those who choose to use this product, but I'm scratching my head over it....

I've wondered the same too. I use assorted sizes square tupperwares for my girls' lunchboxes for sandwiches, fruit, crackers, etc. And they work just fine in their nylon/zip lunchboxes.

brittone2
08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't use it, but I think the appeal is that one, it is kind of cute (the same way that Lunchables appeal to many kids even though they are certainly not filled w/ the tastiest of entrees ;)). I think it can make a healthy lunch seem more appealing to a kid that notices Lunchables being popular, kwim? Sort of like a socially acceptable way to eat a healthy meal in school, LOL. The second is having a bunch of little containers means parents sometimes take a bit more time in offering a more well-rounded, child-sized meal.

At least, those are my impressions.

Eta: ITA that you can do without it. DS isn't in preschool but I often pack four small Frigovarre containers (like a small square pyrex) into his Crocodile Creek lunchbox when we go somewhere.

hillview
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
I like them because they all fit together; don't require any waste (baggies etc); I didn't already have a bunch of tupperware; "force" me to pack veggies, fruit and protein. No doubt you could do with out them. I think for folks who used to pack in plastic baggies they are a massive improvement; for folks who already pack low impact and have the stuff they are maybe not at all worth it. They are a heavier plastic then typical tupperware which I like and they don't need lids (as the main box has a lid) so DS can open the one thing and see his whole lunch.

I could pack myself a lunch in one and have it be enough if I packed well. I agree the size is perhaps more suited to a child.

HTH
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
08-28-2008, 11:22 PM
If we're planning an outing the following day and I'm using leftovers, they go straight from the stove into the Laptop and into the fridge - no extra storage container in between. I like the fact there are not a bunch of little lids. As a Kind. teacher, I couldn't stand having to open little baggies of prepackaged food or difficult plastic containers on a daily basis for so many kids.

The myriad of ideas available (love that Flickr show someone linked to) gives me a lot of healthy, fun ideas. The novelty of it, for me, will make me motivated to pack interesting lunches. I'm a visual person also, so the modular/presentation part of it is fun. My guess is that it is easy to see what is not in the container and the kid will KNOW that a yellow rectangle (or whatever) goes back in that spot. Ok, one more thing...I tend to like a lot of variety in my meals, so when each item was in a separate container, it was hard to get the containers puzzled into the lunchbox. BTW, I'm only packing lunch 1-2x/wk right now, so take my comments lightly. I'm not that experienced with them since we've only had them 8 mos or so.

MMMommy
08-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Since there is just one big cover/lid and not individual lids for the different compartments, are there any issues with wetter ingredients? Namely, if there is something slightly saucy or wet in one compartment, will that liquid or sauce flow over to any of the other compartments if the whole laptop box is turned upside down or sideways?

cellenly
08-29-2008, 01:53 AM
The one box with the lid can handle wet ingredients, but the other boxes cannot. I think I read on the flicker group that someone was using the press & seal, but when I tried it on the other boxes, it didn't work for me that well.

For the original poster, the big difference is psychological I think. For us, DH uses the LLB for his lunch. Last night, we had enchilada leftovers, and in the olden days, I would have given him just that. But after I packed the 2 big boxes w/ enchiladas, I had to pack more. I dug through the fridge for veggies, I threw in some edaname beans for the other box. I know in the olden days, I wouldn't have made the effort. With the LLB, I feel compelled to fill up the last two boxes. If you're very intentional about your food groups, then I don't think it would matter on the packing end. Also, DH seems to enjoy his lunches more that it's presented well & all tidy.

BTW, when I first opened up the LLB, I was disappointed in the size and decided right away that DH won't be able to use it & it would be saved for when our kids started school b/c DH would be starving. However, I've found that after I chiffonade lettuce & make a dense salad, add another veggie, add a dense main dish (usually a type of stir fry w/ rice), and a fruit, DH's full. If all the food is dense, DH requests that I don't pack it to the top. I was reminded last night of how much green bean leftovers can be added to that seemingly little box. It's deceptive. Anyway, I didn't want you to think that it's a teeny tiny lunchbox.

egoldber
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't get the appeal either. Sarah also has issues with fine motor, so I need her to able to open her lunch and containers easily without having to ask or wait for help. I have read numerous complaints about kids, and even some adults, finding the LLB difficult to open.

I have found a system of small containers that work for us and that puzzle together in her lunch box, so it works for us.

Ceepa
08-30-2008, 09:33 AM
As it turns out, *I* enjoy packing the Laptop lunchbox! lol I'm still learning how best to do everything so it takes longer to assemble but it's satisfying. I like to get creative with variety and make everything fit. And DC looks at lunch like opening a little gift box now.

The eco-friendly aspect is great though you could get that with any reusable containers. And stainless steel fork/spoon are included.

One problem with wet items was that a small piece of Press -n- Seal worked on the way to school, but because PnS doesn't stick well after the first time, when DC had leftover Mandarin oranges (with a bit of juice) by the time the lunchbox came home the inside was wet with juice throughout. Not a big deal because I just rinsed everything off.

Ceepa
08-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Deleted double post

Globetrotter
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
We've been using the system for about a year now (I think!) and we love it because:

The kids don't like their foods to "touch" - very annoying but the LLB is perfect for that.

It is visually appealing to them and I let them choose their own colors. They love the airplane food trays LOL and that reminds us of those trays.

MOST importantly, they eat ten times better out of this box because they think it's cool, even a year later! That, to me, sealed the deal. I also sometimes put a little treat in the tiny box (like 2 m and m's or a tiny bit of a cookie) and they get a thrill out of that, too. DS knows he cannot eat the treat until he's finished the other stuff, and he actually does it!

The boxes fit inside the container like a puzzle so it's easy to see what's missing. So far none of the pieces have been lost, which is incredible for us! DD used to lose containers ALL the time before this.

It forces me to think about lunch and give a well balanced meal. I know it sounds crazy, but the different sections inspire me to do a better job, whereas before I would give just one thing and maybe some fruit, which usually came home uneaten!. Once I got used to it, it's a piece of cake to fill it. I use leftovers, fruits, veggies, half a sandwich, crackers and cheese, quesadilla, beans on toast (beans in the wet section, toast, cheese), tacos (again, unassembled so they get to put them together), etc...

You can leave out one or more boxes to accomodate a bigger sandwich or something.

One section has a lid for wet ingredients. Once the box is closed, I have never had a problem with dry ingredients moving from one place to another. Most of the time I don't even use the lid since I tend to stick to dry foods.

It was a little tricky to close at first (there is a trick to it - I think they even include that with the box in the instructions) but the kids have figured it out now and can do it. There are actually fewer lids to deal with vs. a few smaller containers. DD had trouble with the tupperware so this was no different for us. Sometimes they don't close it properly AFTER they are done eating, and that makes a bit of a mess, but I found that to be a problem with all the containers we've tried. As long as they do remember to close it (and they usually do) it's not a problem.

I think if your kid likes to eat a variety of small things vs. one big sandwich, this is worthwhile. Plus my kids are very very picky with school lunches, esp. since I am not there to crack the whip ;) This way they actually eat it! I wish they made one section an insulted container so I could keep it warm.

I bought lunchboxes from Costco and they fit into that nicely.

As you can see, I am a huge fan :cheerleader1: Believe me, I have never been so excited about a lunchbox until the LLB came along :ROTFLMAO:

Kris

lisams
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
To me it's like getting a lunch on a plate - you can right away see all the food that's there. All the options are opened (unless you have a lid on the one compartment) and right there ready to eat. I think that for DD it's easier - there aren't 3-4 containers to open, just pop the lid open and there is what you have for lunch.

I like packing it - it's visually pleasing and that makes packing her lunch fun for me. I know that sounds silly, but I'm like that!

meslgh
09-01-2008, 03:07 PM
If I understand correctly, this is an American version of a bento box. I think part of the appeal is the esthetics. Here is an interesting blog one mom has about preparing bento box lunches for her little one: http://lunchinabox.net/about/ .

caleymama
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
To me it's like getting a lunch on a plate - you can right away see all the food that's there. All the options are opened (unless you have a lid on the one compartment) and right there ready to eat. I think that for DD it's easier - there aren't 3-4 containers to open, just pop the lid open and there is what you have for lunch.

I like packing it - it's visually pleasing and that makes packing her lunch fun for me. I know that sounds silly, but I'm like that!

Same here. DD doesn't have all that long to eat lunch and I think she eats better when it's all right there in front of her rather than split up into separate containers. It's also inspiring to me - DD and I (me, mostly) look at the Vegan Lunchbox blog, lunchinabox.net., and browse around on flickr to ooh and aah get ideas. I don't generally do anything half as creative as a lot of what I see, but we do get ideas for different foods and combinations. I'd say we use the Laptop Lunchbox maybe 40-50% of the time and the rest of the time use fabric sandwich wraps and other containers. School starts tomorrow for older DD, so we'll see what this year brings.

MommyAllison
09-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Honestly, I am a bit sad that I'll probably never get to use Laptop Lunchboxes, since we plan to homeschool and DH comes home for lunch every day. Packing fun little lunches in separate containers sounds really fun to me. :) I guess it is kinda similar to making snack trays, which I also really enjoy when I remember to do them!

WatchingThemGrow
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Honestly, I am a bit sad that I'll probably never get to use Laptop Lunchboxes, since we plan to homeschool and DH comes home for lunch every day. Packing fun little lunches in separate containers sounds really fun to me. :) I guess it is kinda similar to making snack trays, which I also really enjoy when I remember to do them!

Homeschoolers take field trips, right? All of our uses are for "field trips" of sorts right now :)

bubbaray
09-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks everyone! They don't sound at all like something I could get into (no time to worry about what a lunch looks like), but thanks for explaining it. I can see it being a good "foodie" gift.

Globetrotter
09-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks everyone! They don't sound at all like something I could get into (no time to worry about what a lunch looks like), but thanks for explaining it. I can see it being a good "foodie" gift.

Yes, you will definitely survive without it ;) My main reason for using it is because the kids eat well when I use it - it's worth it to me because dd in particular used to get really cranky from not eating lunch! So it's not necessarily just a "fun" thing.

MamaKath
09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
If I understand correctly, this is an American version of a bento box. I think part of the appeal is the esthetics. Here is an interesting blog one mom has about preparing bento box lunches for her little one: http://lunchinabox.net/about/ .

OMGoodness, this link is awesome!!! I have been trying to find ways to get my kids to eat better, and to get the SUPER picky dd to try some new things. This is a very cool way of packing lunch.

Is it worth getting the Laptop Lunch kit if you are doing a form of Bento for kids?

niccig
09-08-2008, 04:44 AM
I was an exchange student in Japan and my host-mother packed obento boxes for my school lunch. One day she asked me my favourite Japanese food, I told her my lunches. She was surprised, as it's leftovers and small bits and pieces she quickly made in the morning. There's something about the lunch packed that way with different things to eat, and every day is different. DS gets lunch at preschool, but when he starts school, I'll get a laptop lunch box.

Globetrotter
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
OMGoodness, this link is awesome!!! I have been trying to find ways to get my kids to eat better, and to get the SUPER picky dd to try some new things. This is a very cool way of packing lunch.

Is it worth getting the Laptop Lunch kit if you are doing a form of Bento for kids?

Yeah, the key is to use leftovers and bits of stuff. It's really very easy and I spend maybe five minutes packing two lunches, at MOST, usually less than that.

If you don't already have a multicompartment box, I would recommend the laptop lunchbox.