PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a non-park day

AmyZ
08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
So, we are booked for the 1st weekend in October( 4 nights)! :cheerleader1: We will be staying on-property (Contemporary) with no rental car.

On Sat. we are going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party which (I think) lets us into the park at 4pm. I don't want to waste park tickets for that day since we are paying extra for the party, so I figured we would have a "down day".

One idea is to walk around Downtown Disney. I also saw that my older DD could do a Pirate Cruise in the a.m. at the Grand Floridian. I think she would love it, but I would rather she just sleep it! :) Any other ideas for neat things to do that doesn't involve entering a park? We will be on the monorail.

Thanks!

egoldber
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
In addition to the GF, there are other resorts with pirate themed cruises. POR and Beach Club also have them. You could send DD off on a cruise and you and DH could explore a bit. :)

We like the Disney water parks very much. We've been to both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon and try to work at least one of them in each visit.

You could also explore the Boardwalk area. Just wandering around the different resorts and have lunch at one of the many restaurants.

Or to be very low impact, you could just hang out at your resort. We always mean to do that and it never seems to happen. :)

bnme
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I would plan to do the pool, go to Downtown Disney and browse/shop, or play mini golf. Between the pool, lunch and then some rest you could easily kill the whole day. I guess if you guys like the pool. For us, the pool is a huge highlight and a great pace change from the parks.

AmyZ
08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
In addition to the GF, there are other resorts with pirate themed cruises. POR and Beach Club also have them. You could send DD off on a cruise and you and DH could explore a bit. :)
:)

Thanks - I didn't know that... has your DD done one, or do you know anyone who has? DD1 will be 4.5 - and the age range is 4-12... I wasn't sure if it was really geared towards older kids or not.

kimbe
08-28-2008, 10:52 PM
You could take your kiddos to the All Star resorts or to Pop Century. There is so much that they can run around and do there. We are staying there the first night of our upcoming trip (Then moving to Contemp.) just so that the kids can play there for our first non-park day. They have really cool pools and lots of places to play and cool things to see. (What kid or uh - adult : ) doesn't love a ginormous sized Buzz Lightyear. The also have a football field. From the Contemporary you can walk to Magic Kingdom and take one of the busses there.

Totally agree with Downtown Disney (make sure you go to Goofy's Candy Shop and to Once Upon a Toy and check out the cool Mr. Potato Head Parts.) Boardwalk is a lot of fun too.

Poly has a playground and sand area. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a fun place to walk around.

Depending on the day, you can have tea at the GF in the afternoon. DD and I will be doing that this trip - Yay!

HTH!

egoldber
08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
My DD has done all 3 of those cruises. :) They are all fine. I think she enjoyed the POR one the least, but it was brand new at the time.

JTsMom
08-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Another option is a character meal at one of the resorts- Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Poly all have them, for example. There's also the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique if she's into that sort of thing. I think you'll find plenty to do!