PDA

View Full Version : What Can I Give DD To Help Her Get Well?

randomkid
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
DD woke up this am with a croupy cough. I'd like to give her a supplement to help her get over this sooner. I thought about Emergen-C, but went to their website and the product is recommended for kids 8 and older. I also found that their Vit. C comes from China. Kind of put me off with all the problems from China lately.

I know Hyland's has Vit C tablets, but I was looking for something with a little more in it - either more vitamins, echinacea, etc.

Thanks

brittone2
08-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Most sodium ascorbate in this country comes from China (including that added to foods like apple juice, etc.) so it is tough to avoid anyway, unfortunately.

Hylands does have vit C tabs and they also make one called Cold Plus C. The Emergen-C has ALA which some people think can detox/chelate and there is concern about giving that to kids. YMMV with how you feel about a small dose. We sometimes just give straight up powdered sodium ascorbate mixed in water, tea, etc. (I have trouble finding it other than online).

Orange Rooibos tea with a little honey or just straight is yummy and full of antioxidants (TJs carries some in bags). Naturally decaf.

We use echinacea sometimes.

I personally don't think there's much you can do to change the course of an illness other than steaming up the bathrooms, giving a bath with some eucalyptus/orange foaming bath (we like Aura Cacia kids Eucalyptus for when they are sick), and making sure they get enough healthy food (minimal sugar) and liquids.

I hope she feels better soon.

Tondi G
08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I give my kids EmergenC and we've never had any problems. When they are sick we make chicken noodle soup with lots of garlic in it. Peppermint or chamomile tea with honey is good too. Fresh squeezed OJ is a good thing too... don't strawberries have some good vitamin C in them too? my doctor has always said just keep them hydrated... water, juice, tea etc