PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins containing lead (children's and adults)

lisams
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I noticed on the report that the Animal Parade vitamins (I know I've seen people mention them here and we used to use them) are on the list of the vitamins containing the most lead.

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/pbvitami.html

The prenatal I take also seems really high - Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal System Tablet/Capsule 0.440/3.76

Any thoughts? Is it time to switch?! Ugh.

writermama
08-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Any thoughts?

I have a few thoughts about finding out there's lead in children's vitamins, but if I wrote them right now, I'd probably be banned for profanity.

Arrrrrrrrrgh!

brittone2
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I am really disappointed to see these findings, to say the least.

I've been considering stopping all multis anyway, so this may be the kick in the pants that I need to do so.

maestramommy
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, isn't that just dandy! Ironic, I was about to start the kids on Polyvisol. But it doesn't seem to be on the list. Does that mean it wasn't tested, or none was found?

okay, I went back and read the summary for the study more carefully. Am I reading it wrong, or is it saying that most of the brands surveyed came up with numbers lower than what is normally found in populations at risk? Does that mean the levels are safe, or that they are just lower than danger levels?

ThreeofUs
08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
How about $()*&#@($&#$ ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Geezy peezy.

Puddy73
08-30-2008, 05:52 PM
To the OP, thanks for posting! To the FDA: &^#$*@()@! Why are these still on the market?

DC take Animal Parade vitamins and I take Rainbow Light Prenatals, both of which are going in the trash.

lisams
08-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I've been considering stopping all multis anyway, so this may be the kick in the pants that I need to do so.

This is what I'm thinking. How sad is it that I spent time finding vitamins with proper percentages of vitamins and minerals that had no artificial coloring, preservatives, sweetener, and other questionable ingredients to find out they have lead in them. I never even thought about lead being in a multi.

lisams
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, isn't that just dandy! Ironic, I was about to start the kids on Polyvisol. But it doesn't seem to be on the list. Does that mean it wasn't tested, or none was found?

I'm guessing it wasn't tested. Polyvisol is a product of a huge formula company and they happen to have a big pull with the government. I'm guessing they keep their products out of these kinds of studies if po$$ible. Just my cynical take on why you don't see them on the list.

MontrealMum
08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm (somewhat) holding my reaction until I see what Health Canada has to say (since brands are different etc.), but does anyone know HOW this happened? Was it in the processing? As in, lead in the pipes, water etc? Or is this something like talc in baby powder containing asbestos because those two are always found together? Anyone have any ideas? I couldn't believe the range of products on the FDA list - both "tradtional" big names, and what you'd find at a health food store. Very disappointing :(

lisams
08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm (somewhat) holding my reaction until I see what Health Canada has to say (since brands are different etc.), but does anyone know HOW this happened? Was it in the processing? As in, lead in the pipes, water etc? Or is this something like talc in baby powder containing arsenic because those two are always found together? Anyone have any ideas? I couldn't believe the range of products on the FDA list - both "tradtional" big names, and what you'd find at a health food store. Very disappointing :(

From a few of the brands I remember looking at when I was switching brands (children's and prenatal), it looks like the ones that had iron in them are the ones that seem to have higher levels of lead and the ones that didn't have much or any iron are low on lead. I don't know if it's true for all of them, but from the 5-6 brands I looked at this seems to be the case. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of correlation or if it's just random.

caleymama
08-30-2008, 08:28 PM
How sad is it that I spent time finding vitamins with proper percentages of vitamins and minerals that had no artificial coloring, preservatives, sweetener, and other questionable ingredients to find out they have lead in them.

:yeahthat: I hear you. Of course DDs have taken Animal Parade multis for years now and I have taken Rainbow Light Prenatals recently.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2008, 09:14 PM
In the trash they go. At least I am so disorganized w/ vitamins that we haven't even used up a jar in like 3 years. Highly disappointed. :(

Beth

LarsMal
08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
So glad I saw this. DH has been trying to push me to start DS on vitamins, and I really didn't want to. Now I have a good reason!

I stopped taking them a while ago, when the nutrionist I saw had me take digestive enzymes instead, which help the body better absorb the vitamins and minerals you get from food.

Now, I'll just wait to be told *those* have something bad in them, too!!!

purpleeyes
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
How about $()*&#@($&#$ ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Geezy peezy.

:yeahthat:

For crying out loud...

kusumat
08-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Any thoughts?

ThreeofUs
08-31-2008, 09:27 AM
I just emailed Rainbow Light expressing my shock and horror. I hope other folks are letting vitamin manufacturers know as well.

Here's the RL link:
http://www.rainbowlight.com/CategoriesCompany~Category~f6d84de6-e8e9-4a7c-81c3-befc20d71a0f.html

brittone2
08-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Yep, I emailed Rainbow last night. I have been taking Rainbow Light for like 5 years of pgcy and BFing. My kids don't take a multi.

I have 2 unopened bottles because I usually buy several at a time through Frontier.

lisams
08-31-2008, 11:59 AM
okay, I went back and read the summary for the study more carefully. Am I reading it wrong, or is it saying that most of the brands surveyed came up with numbers lower than what is normally found in populations at risk? Does that mean the levels are safe, or that they are just lower than danger levels?

I'm not sure, but I'd really like to know more. What I don't understand is that from what I understand, lead doesn't leave the body so easily, so a small amount isn't thought to be so harmful, but it builds up. What bothers me is that this isn't like a one or two time vaccine - this is daily exposure. I'm really hoping some more information comes out soon.

writermama
08-31-2008, 02:59 PM
So now that I've calmed down enough to wonder how the lead got in the vitamins, I'm starting to really worry.

My (uninformed) guess is that it was one of two ways ...
One -- the different vitamin manufacturers all bought components from a common supplier who was cutting the expensive ingredients with contaminated filler (as was the case last summer with the contaminated drugs and toothpaste, etc.)

Or -- the nature of the source of a vitamin or mineral component would make lead contamination inevitable (as the PP suggested in the example of talc and arsenic).

So, what I'm now worrying about, is what about all of the vitamins and minerals added to "Enriched" foods?

If one or more components of multi-vitamins across this wide a spectrum of brands is contaminated, then what about the vitamin and mineral components added to milk, to flour, to cereals and a host of processed foods, including baby food?

Even if individual doses are minimal, what about the cumulative dose from multiple sources?

And if there's lead in there ... what else is in there?

brittone2
08-31-2008, 05:13 PM
I hope Momsrising gets a hold of this info and sends out a mass email urging women to write their representatives.

THe sad thing is this topic has been in the news before. You'd think at some point, someone would get clued in and do more testing. That's the FDA for you :32:

From 2007:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/

ETA: sent the story to MomsRising. I hope they mobilize the troops ;)

MontrealMum
08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I just wanted to add, it's asbestos, not arsenic in the talc. I'm sick, and not too with it lately. I corrected the original post but wanted to make sure I didn't set off a panic. And baby powder is no longer made from talc, it's corn starch.

I find this whole thing very disturbing, and some great points have been made. It'd be nice to know a bit more about how, rather than just what's contaminated. And the whole lifetime accumulation thing is a little scary too.

FWIW I asked DH who is a geologist and he said that it's not likely that it's a case of two minerals being found together like with the talc case, since iron/lead would be separated out in the processing/mining. So, still a mystery, but really puzzling that it affects so many brands.

brittone2
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
What bothers me is that this isn't like a one or two time vaccine - this is daily exposure. I'm really hoping some more information comes out soon.
WIth some toxins, bolus dosing (like with a vaccine) is actually far worse than with daily exposure. That's one issue anti-vaxers raise with the safety of certain components in vaccines. The FDA took the EPA's "safe" limit on mercury of 0.1mcg/kg per day, and multiplied it by 180 days to show that the amount of mercury in childhood vaccines at the time was "safe" on a per day basis for the first 6 months of life. But scientifically, that wasn't very sound...mercury has a long half life in the body, and these infants were getting their exposure on only 4 days in their first 6 months of life. No one is sure exactly how well that exposure would have been cleared since it wasn't a small dose divided among many days, but rather a relatively large amount on a handful of occasions.

That said, for me the big concern is no one knows the tipping point for lead in a pregnant woman IMO. We get exposed to lead from multiple sources, but who needs to be pushed into the "too much" category from a vitamin? If a pregnant woman ingests a little lead from her vitamin, then handles a Christmas tree containing lead (and ingests a little w/ her lunch), and then gets a little more incidental exposure here and there...it can build up to a problem for some women.

ETA: I thought I recalled there being rumblings of the lead being linked to Calcium in the past. A quick google turned up this GreenGuide article from oh...a freaking **decade** ago. Thanks again, FDA. You didn't do much then and you aren't doing enough now.
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/40/lead

TonFirst
08-31-2008, 08:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Rainbow Light manufactures the Trader Joe's brand once-a-day prenatals. Anyone know if that's true, or if there's any way to find out?

brittone2
08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Rainbow Light manufactures the Trader Joe's brand once-a-day prenatals. Anyone know if that's true, or if there's any way to find out?

I can't confirm, but I know I've compared the ingredients/amounts in the past and they were identical or virtually identical, so I"m going to say it is a reasonable assumption, kwim?

ThreeofUs
08-31-2008, 08:35 PM

Email/call TJ's customer service. They'll help you out asap - and probably ought to know about the findings anyway.

ThreeofUs
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
For anyone who was wondering, here's what the vitamin industry - or at least Rainbow Light - has to say. Contact info is at the end of the email.

Hello Ivy,

Thank you for your email. Here is an updated statement about the FDA
studies. Please do not hesitate to email us with anymore questions or
concerns you may have.

Update on Lead August 29, 2008

Rainbow Light regularly conducts tests on our products to ascertain that
any naturally occurring lead levels are within the legal limitations.
Rainbow Light uses botanical materials with the lowest detectable lead
level available on the market. Using strict testing methods, and after
allowable exclusions for naturally occurring lead, as described in
detail below, Rainbow Light products have all been found to be below
the No Observed Effect Level (safety level), and well within safety
limits for health.

In early 2007, FDA became aware of reports of elevated lead levels in
certain vitamins, which became an issue of concern to FDA, Congress, and
the public. A survey was conducted to determine the content of lead (Pb)
in vitamins labeled for women and children and results were subsequently
published in Journal of Agricultural and Food chemistry in July 2008 and
on the FDA website in August 2008. Because the results were overall
quite good, there has been little media coverage on this survey. None of
the levels ended up exceeding FDA's PTTI (provisional total tolerable
intake levels) for lead; the highest came out to less than half that.
Some products listed did not appear to meet the Prop65 standard which
might be a concern for labeling in CA, but is nowhere close to a public
health concern.

The FDA has estimated that the safe daily intake of "lead" from all
sources is 750 mcg for most adults, and 250 mcg for pregnant women. This means that most adults can be exposed to 750 mcg of lead per day, and no harm would be expected. However, the state of California's Proposiion 65, the most stringent law on this topic, has established a lower No Observed Effect Level (safety level) of 500 mcg of lead per day.
Further, California's Prop 65 imposes an extremely low limit of .5 mcg
per day (one-thousandth of the 500 mcg No Observed Effect Level) as a
per serving limit for food and dietary supplement products.

"Lead" is a naturally occurring mineral, found in the water, soil, air,
as well as many everyday foods and botanicals. Because there is a range
of naturally occurring lead levels found in our foods, allowances are
made for these separate from the strict California legal limits set
above. For example, the USP acceptable level of naturally occurring lead
in a daily serving of calcium is 4.5 mcg. An FDA analysis also
acknowledges food products like fresh spinach with 2.4 mcg of lead per
serving, canned spinach with 8.5 mcg per serving, and a glass of wine
with about 7.7 mcg of lead.

Manufacturers of dietary supplements are allowed to exclude naturally
occurring lead amounts from the above stated legal limits of Prop 65.
The amount of lead that can be excluded depends on the type of consumer
product. There is a precedent California Court Case (2005, Case No.
CGC-04-429563) that defines the naturally occurring lead limits for a
wide range of botanical sources. The naturally occurring allowance for
lead in the botanical products subject to the litigation was set at 3.5
mcg per daily serving. This means that, under the terms of the final
consent agreement, a botanical dietary supplement product could
conceivably have a lead content level of 3.5 mcg, plus the legal
allowance of .5, for a total of 4 mcg per daily serving, and still not
require a warning statement on the label in the state of California.

Always check with a health care professional before taking vitamin
supplements.

Sincerely,

Nancy David
Customer Service
Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems
[email protected]
Phone: (800) 635-1233 X 2122
Fax: (831) 457-5897