PDA

View Full Version : 7-Week Old Awake Overnight

ntrainer
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I guess since this is our 2nd baby I've completely blanked on when the milestones occur... Our 7-week-old baby is awake for at least one "session" (2-3 hours) overnight and sometimes isn't going to sleep until 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. or so, despite our best efforts this week to catch the sleep wave a bit earlier. My sleep "bible" with our first child was Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," and I think (I'm very sleep-deprived, here, so I may be reading it wrong) that somewhere between 6-8 weeks, babies start going to sleep earlier in the night, around 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Well... not our little girl! Not yet, at least. But I suppose this would not be a problem if she didn't have this 2-3 hour period she's up during the night. It's one thing to not get to sleep 'til 11:00 p.m. It's another to lose sleep between 2:00 - 5:00 a.m. AND not get to sleep 'til 11:00 p.m.! So I guess I've got two questions:

1) When in the world DO babies start getting to sleep earlier?
2) When is their night sleep complete (that is, with no active periods)?

HELP! We're sleep deprived and dealing with a very active 4-year-old out here, one who needs some awake parents!

srhs
08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
:hug: Hugs for fellow sleep deprived mamas!
Does Baby like the swing? Is she fussy between 2-5 or just awake? At that age, mine slept really well at night. (Don't be jealous....he's been regressing!) BUT, when he was up, I could often put him in the swing in the living room and nap right next to him on the sofa. We also made sure not to talk to him or stimulate him during 2am feedings/changes. We kept the lights really low (installed dimmers) in any room we went into.

ntrainer
09-01-2008, 03:04 PM
She's awake, not fussy, but loud enough that I can't sleep through it and SOMEBODY's got to be there next to her! (Fortunately, my husband CAN sleep through the fussing, but there are nights he's not here...) The swing is a good idea, though. As is using her "bouncy seat," which at least keeps her calm and doesn't involve somebody holding her. As lovely as she is. :)