PDA

View Full Version : What political issues are you most concerned with for this election?

gatorsmom
09-01-2008, 01:16 AM
I hope everyone is not too tired of political threads. I'm just wondering what political issues are most important to everyone here. What are the issues that are most important for you and will determine who you vote for?

I'm really not trying to start a debate. And I'm not trying to determine which party you are voting for. I'm just curious where others' priorities lie. For example these are my concerns with the first being most important and so on:

Prolife/Prochoice
War in Iraq
U.S. Dependance on foreign oil/developing alternative energy sources
Environmental preservation
U.S's current economic crises
immigration

Anyone want to tell what's most on their minds lately?

kijip
09-01-2008, 01:26 AM
The economy and tax structure
The war
The environmental crisis
The composition of the Supreme Court (and not just for abortion issues- I am highly concerned about other cases that have come or will come or could come before the court, especially with respect to workers rights)

lisams
09-01-2008, 01:59 AM
For starters, what's in my siggy. It makes me sick that there are mothers who must go back to work days after giving birth because they have no choice.

alternative energy sources
environment
economic crisis
education (starting in early childhood)

shilo
09-01-2008, 03:50 AM
domestic policy/the economy
* federal budget (especially the national debt)
* tax code/structure
* the court/appoinments
* universal healthcare (including medicare/medicaid reform)
* education
* energy independence (especially alternative/clean/renewable energy R&D and implementation)
* "women's" issues (reproductive choice, pay/benefits equity that takes into account a woman's role/responsibilities to her family)
* environment
* social security
- there are more, but it becomes harder and harder to rank them, you know?

foreign policy
* the war (focus, funding, exit)
* human rights
* humanitarian aide/poverty
* restore diplomacy
* defense

lori

brittone2
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
For me:

The war in Iraq (I put this first also because it would free up $ that could be applied toward my other concerns)
Healthcare
Supreme Court nominations/composition
Environment/creating green jobs
Restoring diplomatic relations with other countries
Changing the tax structure/repealing Bush's tax cuts
Women's issues as mentioned above (paid leave, etc.)
Immigration

KBecks
09-01-2008, 11:18 AM
preventing terrorism
international stability / security

so I guess I'm "safety first" and everything behind that is not nearly as important.

lizajane
09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
not sure how to order them, so in random order:

War (resolution and withdrawl of our troops from danger)
foreign relations (no longer being the "bad guy" country)
economy
education
civil rights- equal rights for ALL americans, not just straight americans
maintaining a women's right to choose (although i am anti-abortion, i am also anti- government's interference)
stem cell research
gun control
healthcare
humanitarian aid
environment
alternative energy sources

i am sure i am forgetting something. and yes, i am an idealist democrat and proud of it!

caribbeanmama
09-01-2008, 03:59 PM
For me, the issues that I am deeply concerned with in order of importance are:

Ending the war in Iraq
Healthcare reform
The state of education in this country
Supreme Court nominations
The environment (and creating green jobs like Beth mentioned above)
Re-establishing diplomacy and improving our foreign policy/relations with other countries
Repealing Bush's tax cuts/reforming taxes
Comprehensive immigration reform

ETA: Gun control, gun control, gun control and CIVIL RIGHTS, right up there with the war and universal healthcare.

TaChapm
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
IMMIGRATION-I have no problem with people wanting to come to the US but if you want to come to America do it the right way....LEGALLY!

Preventing terrorism

Keeping our country secure (at all costs)

Reforming our welefare system-Just the other day I say a lady in line at Wal-Mart texting on an I Phone and then she pulled out her Lone Star card and paid with food stamps. When we followed her out she got into a NEW (dealer tags still on it) Tahoe. There is something VERY wrong with this picture!!! I also believe that since my DH has to undergo drug testing to keep his job that people getting assistance from the gov. should at least be held to that standard. If you can afford drugs then you can afford groceries/etc. DH has a good job and we live VERY conservative and we can barely make it! DH car is over 10 yrs. old and mine is 5. We have insurance but are swimming in medical bills for our kids. It is more than we can handle and we are working our butts off trying to make ends meet. I am just so tired of people abusing the system and us paying for it!!! (of course not all are this way but it seems that lately I am seeing more abuse it than not) I am all for aid for people who truly need a hand up...I'm just over all the hand outs and fear what will happen if the election doesn't go the way I hope.

maestramommy
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
War in Iraq/how to end it
US economic crises
oil dependency/our use of fuel in general
Healthcare reform
Immigration reform

Happy 2B mommy
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Here are my top 5

Supreme Court nominations (much more than Roe vs Wade)
War in Iraq
Enviroment/Energy crisis
US security
Economy