PDA

View Full Version : What type of doll for my 20 month old?

meslgh
09-01-2008, 09:00 AM
My 20 month old DD has taken to bringing me clothing out of the "too small to wear, but too cute to get rid of" drawer, and asking me to put it on her teddy bear. Seems to me that it is time to get her a doll, the question is which doll.

I've read some good stuff around about the Corolle Calin and the similar Gotz, but her babysitter brought over a doll in that style (vinyl head/arms/legs and soft body) many months ago, and DD isn't interested. Corolle advertises their Poupette doll as a good first dress up doll for toddlers; does anybody have any experience with it?

Then there are the many Waldorf style dolls. I'll admit that I would love to get something like this, but I've read that some kiddos don't love them, and they sure can be expensive not to get loving. Some have said that the heavy dolls (like Joy's Heavy Baby) are a good first doll, but what about dress up? I've thought about getting a custom doll through Hillcountry Dollmaker on hyenacart, since she is pretty reasonable, but I'm so unsure about many details (what size, button jointed or not, can DD deal with hair, weighted or not). I'm also thinking about getting a Haba doll, since they are cute and much less expensive.

Oh, and one other thought. I have seen around dolls that are advertised as newborn lifesize, which would work for dress up with DD's old clothes, but they usually indicate that they are for older kiddos (I presume just because of their size and weight, rather than any choking hazard).

So, please share with me the wisdom of your experience! I would appreciate any insight about what kind of doll DD is most likely to appreciate.

new_mommy25
09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
My DD is 28 months. She has many dolls, but her two favorites are Corolle Calin and Baby Stella. Her absolute favorite is probably the Calin. She plays with her the most. She's very small and lightweight and her body poses easily. The Baby Stella is also a wonderful doll because she is very soft and has a lot of fun accessories to buy. DD has the diaper set and plays with that all the time. She also uses the diapers on the Calin doll and the fit okay.

My DD got the Calin for her first bday and the Stella doll last Christmas. I would say that she has loved playing with her babies since she was about 18 months old, but her doll play has really taken off right about her second birthday. Now she plays with dolls daily, takes them for walks in the stroller, feeds them in the high chair. The Calin doll comes everywhere with us. So just because your DD is not into dolls now at 20 mos. doesn't mean she won't be soon. :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2008, 01:58 PM
One g'ma got Corolle Tidoo (washable) at 18 mos, and another got Poupette Fifi at 24 mos. The girls are BFF. Fifi's hair is a matted mess, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Their clothes are interchangeable and adorable, and those darn girls have SO much fun around our house. I'm almost jealous. The cost per use has gone down to a fraction of a cent. The one thing I'm kinda glad I got an easy-to-find one is that if something tragic were to happen to Dollie or Fifi, they could be replaced w/o too much trouble.

They seem to be the perfect size for her.

Melaine
09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
We also love baby stella! My girls have each had her since Christmas (at 15 months) and have started playing with them more and more the older they get. There are new ones out with real hair. The magnetic pacies are so cute!

egoldber
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I :love5: dolls. :) Amy has a Corolle Babipouce and also a Tidoo. But BY FAR her favorite doll right now is actually her older sister's American Girl Bitty Twin. I am going to get her her own Bitty Twin for her second birthday.

Amy would REALLY like to get her hands on her older sister's American Girl Kit but that is SO not happening!!!

mattiew
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Bitty Baby and a Corelle doll are the favorites around here (although I can't remember which Corelle). It's so adorable when toddlers play babies!

new_mommy25
09-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I :love5: dolls. :) Amy has a Corolle Babipouce and also a Tidoo. But BY FAR her favorite doll right now is actually her older sister's American Girl Bitty Twin. I am going to get her her own Bitty Twin for her second birthday.

Amy would REALLY like to get her hands on her older sister's American Girl Kit but that is SO not happening!!!

Hmm..I'm glad to read this. I was thinking about getting Ruby a Bitty for Christmas but was worried she was too young. She will be about 2.5 at Christmas. I will have to look more into them. The only thing that I didn't like about the Bitty were the fact that they don't have a doll with blue eyes and brown hair for my little beauty.

Would you recommend the Bitty Baby or Bitty Twins?

egoldber
09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Amy prefers the Twin. She loves the hair.