PDA

View Full Version : Check your prescriptions

linsei
09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Check for accuracy of the drug and dose by entering the code stamped on the pill into a pill identifier. An example is http://www.drugs.com/pill_identification.html

My doc called in an antibiotic for me today. I picked it up and took one. DH noticed that the description of the pill on the label did not match the pill inside. He did some research and found that they made an error. The label on the bottle is correct, but according to the coding on the pill, the dose of the drug inside is much lower than it is supposed to be.

The pharmacy is now closed, so I tried to talk to the manager of the grocery store (it was a grocery store pharmacy), but I gave up after waiting on hold for an unreasonable amount of time.

Has this happened to anyone else? Now I'm just trying to decide if I should just call the pharmacy in the morning? Or should I complain to someone else? It could have been much more serious, but I'm still ticked off!

SammyeGail
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
This just happened to me!! I was given a new antidepressant, the doc told me to take it once a day, best at night. I saw the mg was right (checked online, recommended amount) but didn't read the directions until Saturday when I noticed it had no refills and I know he gave me 3. The directions say to take 4 a day!! DH was at the pharmacy today and they pulled up the RX, they corrected the refills but said it still looked like it says to take 4 a day so they wouldn't correct it. Ummm, 4 a day would be an overdose, idiots.

So I am really peeved about it, and taking it up with the manager or district manager if I have to. I could be dead by now.

Samantha

brittone2
09-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I ran into multiple problems w/ two local chain pharmacies. They didn't switch drugs on me, but were frequently giving me the wrong amount and charging me the full price (for half the drug), etc.

I switched to a small privately owned pharmacy (super old fashioned LOL). THe pharmacist fills the RXs herself. At the chain, it always seemed like a bunch of 16-18 year olds filling my RXs (which would have been fine if they were doing so accurately).

Good catch on your part!

linsei
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
This just happened to me!! I was given a new antidepressant, the doc told me to take it once a day, best at night. I saw the mg was right (checked online, recommended amount) but didn't read the directions until Saturday when I noticed it had no refills and I know he gave me 3. The directions say to take 4 a day!! DH was at the pharmacy today and they pulled up the RX, they corrected the refills but said it still looked like it says to take 4 a day so they wouldn't correct it. Ummm, 4 a day would be an overdose, idiots.

So I am really peeved about it, and taking it up with the manager or district manager if I have to. I could be dead by now.

Samantha

Wow, that's scary! That's one time when it's best not to READ the directions!

linsei
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I ran into multiple problems w/ two local chain pharmacies. They didn't switch drugs on me, but were frequently giving me the wrong amount and charging me the full price (for half the drug), etc.

I switched to a small privately owned pharmacy (super old fashioned LOL). THe pharmacist fills the RXs herself. At the chain, it always seemed like a bunch of 16-18 year olds filling my RXs (which would have been fine if they were doing so accurately).

Good catch on your part!

I guess I'll have to look for one with a soda fountain and penny candy, LOL!

eta It's pretty typical at chains, and even in the hospital for "pharmacy techs" to prepare the meds, but a liscensed pharmacist is still supposed to sign of on it, meaning they check for accuracy.

Tondi G
09-02-2008, 01:20 AM
yeah... I had a situation where I called my OB for a prescription for a sinus infection... she game me Zithromax. When I picked it up it wasn't a Z pack like it was supposed to be... it was to treat gonorrhea I think (3 higher dose pills). When my DH got home with it I called the pharmacist who figured out how it got mixed up! It happens I guess... but it really shouldn't! I guess all you can do is go back in to the pharmacy in the morning and make sure the pharmacist is aware of what happened!

kijip
09-02-2008, 01:43 AM
My husband is studying to be a PharmD and works pt in a hospital pharmacy as a certified Pharmacy Tech (which in our state, at least for the pharmacies that pay for them gets more accuracy and efficiency than those 6 months on the job training states seem to). He went to a public college for the program, not one of those advertised on TV barely accredited programs. All scripts are filled by competent hands and then double checked before being distibuted. He works in a hospital and the going rate of pay is more than times the rate for the big chains who hire the less educated techs and his benefits are stellar and uberexpensive to his employer but are included in his employment- we pay only for me and only a little. He cautions against the big chains where they rely more on a computer than on a Pharmacist to fill and ensure accuracy. Walgreens in particular has screwed up my moms stuff all too often. We switched her to a local place where they only use well paid techs and Pharmacists. No more mistakes. Sometimes you get what you (or rather the pharmacy) pay for. Walgreens pays techs here about $8 an hour. And I SWEAR I have caught them open WITHOUT a pharmacist on duty at two locations, a big fat no-no.

ThreeofUs
09-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Yep. Happens all the time, at least around here, even from the hospital pharmacies. Makes me want to tear my hair out.

This is one of the PSA's that are on my list of talking points for people I know who take a lot of prescriptions. Always check with the prescribing doctor what exactly they are prescribing (including manufacturer, dose, etc.) and then check the pills themselves against that description before you leave the store.

Unfortunately, I find myself running into the local pharmacy, grabbing the bag and running back to the car all too often!