PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help! DS needs water bottle for school

schums
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
DS is starting 1st grade tomorrow, and we found out right before going out of town for the weekend that he needs a water bottle for class. And it has to have a sleeve, to prevent the desks from getting wet, I guess. I've looked EVERYWHERE for a sleeve to fit a decent bottle (non-BPA, etc.). Can't find one around here. I'd love to get stainless, but really want a sport top or straw to prevent spills and messes. Nathan's makes a nice one (http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Stainless-Steel-Straw-Bottle/dp/B001C0HV2W#productPromotions), but it's $25 -- not sure I want to pay that since it's likely to get beat up or lost. Plus, I'd still need the stupid sleeve. Any suggestions?

o_mom
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Funtainer? They are stainless steel, have a plastic bottom, straw cup, $15 or less at Target. You can always get a can cooshie (not sure what those things are called), I think they would fit the bottom of the Funtainer.

bubbaray
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
What about a Rubbermaid Litterless Lunchbox juice box. I've seen them with covers in dollar stores. You could use the Rubbermaid brand ones (OK plastic) with the dollar store cover if you don't trust the dollar store container.

caleymama
09-01-2008, 09:52 PM
We often use thin can cozies on our Sigg and KK bottles. They fit fine. I've also seen Built NY sleeves at Home Goods. HTH

I'm thinking a Thermos Funtainer. If you can't find one of those, many of the plastic Rubbermaid drinking bottles with straws that I've seen are a #5 plastic, which is safe(r). I've seen them at Walmart and our grocery stores. Something like this: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100020

Good luck to your DS - my older DD starts 1st grade on Wednesday :)

bubbaray
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
If you can't find one of those, many of the plastic Rubbermaid drinking bottles with straws that I've seen are a #5 plastic, which is safe(r). I've seen them at Walmart and our grocery stores. Something like this: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100020

Those would totally work, especially if he needs more water than the juicebox version would hold. FYI, I've seen them in both #7 (bad) and #5 plastic. Just check the bottom. The #5 is kinda opaque & soft, the #7 is more clear and harder.

Maybe get a couple of each and see which he likes better? I know a lot of school-aged kids here use the juicebox ones for school, but maybe they are using them for milk or juice, not water.

brittone2
09-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I know you are in a rush, but if you have time or want an alternative to plastic in general, we love our Klean Kanteens. You can get them w/ sports tops. I've seen the KKs at REI brick and mortar stores, but when I've seen them in the past they are usually the larger sized bottle. That was before the BPA info was as widely known, so maybe they carry more sizes now. I'm not sure.

Nooknookmom
09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
The Built NY sleeve fits nicely on the Kleen Kanteen.

As PP said the soda can sleeves fit fine too (just don't throw the Budweiser one on by accident because you were in a hurry and then people stared at your kid *whistle, whistle*) ;)