PDA

View Full Version : So now that I've been outed...

LarsMal
09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a few questions!

I am so afraid of picking up any prenatal vitamin for fear of the whole lead thing. With DS and DD I had a prescription for Citrical generic. I was going to call the pharmacy tomorrow to see if they Rx has expired yet, and/or call my OB. I already have an appt for my annual (won't my OB be shocked!?) next Friday, but I want to get started on vitamins now if I need them. Any recommendations?

I have lots of calls to make to my various dr's tomorrow, but thought I'd put this out there to see what feedback I get. I might hear back from you guys earlier than my doctors!

I have been on Claritin in the AM and 1/2 Xyzal and 1/4 Singulair at night for my allergies for the past several months, plus weekly allergy shots. I know Claritin and Xyzal are category B, but I'm still nervous about taking them, or at least taking all of them. Has anyone taken antihistamines throughout pregnancy? I know the allergy shots are supposed to be safe, but I need to let the allergist know I'm pg now. (This is why the timing isn't the greatest!)

Lastly, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis when DD was about 8 months old (my body fell apart after she was born!). I have been taking digestive enzymes for the past several months to help, which is has greatly done. I can't find much online about taking them during pregnancy- except the "talk to your physician" line! The only thing I found is not to take pancreatic enzymes during pregnancy. Does anyone know about this?

Like I said- lots of calls to make tomorrow! I don't want this kid coming out with two heads and four arms!!

TIA!

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Not a clue on the medical front, but I was taking some allergy meds at the beg. of my 1st preg. and stopped on my own just to see what happened. While I was pregnant, the allergies cut back on their own, so I didn't need them. IIRC, my doc was okay with me taking them, though. Claritin and Singulair were things I tried at some point, but I have no idea when. I think some of the allergy meds are not okay with nursing because they dry things up.

I'm sure you're fine and they'll give you good answers and your house will sell and the move will be easy-peasy :) Yup! Like you said, we're here for support!

JMS
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I really like Kellymom.com for general info about what is safe is what is not. Ironically I was surfing there earlier today and ran across this post re: digestive enzymes: http://forum.kellymom.net/showthread.php?t=90828

I'm taking a OTC prenatal that I buy at Whole Foods. It's One-a-day prenatal called "Simply One Prenatal" made by Super Nutrition. A homeopathic MD I was seeing recommended the brand and my OB was fine with it. I haven't really looked into the lead issue specifically, but I have so much other "research" to do, that I've decided to be optimistically naive, for now. They are organic, vegetarian food-based vitamins and very easy on my stomach. HTH.

GL!

tnrnchick74
09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I have to take benadryl every nite for my allergies (food, seasonal, and preservative) and my OB said it was perfectly fine for me to take it.

MontrealMum
09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I switched to Benadryl for my own peace of mind while pregnant, then back to Allegra for b/f ing. Allegra and Claritin are in the same class, but I can't remember what that is at this point! I'd read that Benadryl, since it's not non-sedating, could possibly make a b/f baby sleepy which is why I switched back. There is the potential that allergy meds can contribute to lower milk supply, but I did not seem to have trouble with that, although I certainly didn't have an oversupply either. I'm not familiar with Xyzal, and I've never taken Singulair so I can't help there.