PDA

View Full Version : Depression while Nursing?

cono0507
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
DD weaned a month ago and now I'm realizing in retrospect that the funk I've been in with low libido, anxiety, depression, etc, is now gone and it got better as soon as I weaned. I nursed her for a year and I suppose it was a bit of PPD.

Now that I've weaned, though, I am not obsessing about things I was before, I have more energy, I'm happier and even interested in sex.

Anyone else experience depression while nursing? I'd assume it is hormonal? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED nursing and never put two and two together until after the fact. Just wondering if this is common.

egoldber
09-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I think its more common than is talked about. Low libido in particular is often associated with nursing. I am still nursing Amy, but noticed a huge swing in my mood and libido after she turned 16 or so months. I'm assuming since she nursed less that I became more like a "non-nursing" mom at that point.

brittone2
09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
In terms of libido, when you are BFing your estrogen levels are quite low, which can impact your interest in sex.

cono0507
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I just replied to a mom's post about her 6mo old eating every 3 hrs at night. So soon I forget. I was up nursing DD every 3 hours at night until 10-11mo. Hmmm, I'm sure sleep deprivation played a role too! Duh! I guess I've shoved that memory into the back of my mind!