PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a webcam to monitor their baby?

Happydaddy
09-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm just curious if it works and if any webcam will do?

tylersmama
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Yep. We originally got it as a way for the grandparents out of state to be able to watch their grandson, but it actually works fantastically as a baby monitor.

I'm not sure what kind of webcam we have, and are currently out of state and can't check, although if you're interested, I can check when we get back home. I do know that it's wireless and connects on our wireless network we have set up. The fact that it's wireless is really nice because it's not contained to one place, we can take it out in the living room so the grandparents can watch DS play if we want. We can also control it remotely so that we can move where it's pointed to center it on DS.

I love having the webcam. It's been fantastic. I love being able to see what DS is up to in there. It's pretty funny, too. As he's gotten older, he's become aware of the webcam and seems to always know when it's on. MIL swears that he talks to her and waves to her. :D

BabyMine
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
We have the Linksys wireless webcam. Also for the out of town grandparents.

mommy111
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Any webcam can do, and we've tried a higher quality webcam. But the one that we finally stuck with, that really worked well and was supereasy to install, was this one:
http://www.securitysystems.com/wilife.htm
We used the non-covert indoor security camera, we didn't want anything hidden. It was easy to set up, took literally about 10-15 mins, and then you get access to a website where you can log in at any time to see a live video. Because of our internet, our video was not really live, there was maybe a 30 sec delay. I've tried several cameras before and the ease of getting online access is really why I would recommend this, with other cameras, I had to be on hold for hours and then try to decipher instructions given by not-very-good overseas call centers.
Also, if this is the right website (I'm working from memory here), the company was in Massachusetts run by an older gentleman who was super-easy to deal with.
HTH.

Happydaddy
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm glad to see that it can work. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on the webcam. However, wireless and being remotely operated is something I would like to have. Tylersmom I'm curious what you have. Babymine is your's wireless and remotely operated? How much did you pay?

anamika
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes Gaye - please share. We would love to set up something like that too.
Thanks,

tylersmama
09-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Will do! We'll be home (briefly) Wednesday night and Thursday morning before we leave on the next part of our trip. I'll try to remember to check while we're home. If not, I'll definitely be able to check when we're back for good early next week.

BabyMine
09-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Yes it is wireless and it is used for remote viewing. It cost about $100