PDA

View Full Version : 2-4pm Party - What Food Should I Serve??

annasmom
09-03-2008, 03:49 AM
I am having my dd's 5th birthday party this weekend from 2-4 pm. I had always thought that I would order pizza and sandwhiches, but now I am rethinking it.

I feel as though I need to serve something substantial if I am then going to serve all the kids birthday cake before they go home.

What do you think? What would you expect, or want, to be served at that time of day?

kedss
09-03-2008, 05:58 AM
hmm, seems like the kids would have had lunch, maybe you can just have snack type things, like fruit and veggies to dip, maybe chips and stuff for parents to munch on. It is a birthday party, so i would expect the parents to have given the kids a good lunch beforehand?

Pennylane
09-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I agree with the pp. I know my DC would have eaten by then, so I would not expect anything but cake.

Ann

Twoboos
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Yep, fruit/veggie tray, maybe some crackers dip. But that's right between lunch and dinner so cake is the most important thing! :)

Octobermommy
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with pp. I would expect snack type food at most. At that time I would really only expect cake and ice cream (maybe). If you want to do something I would say fruit.

emily_gracesmama
09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
we were just at one this weekend and there were chips, cheese curls, cake, water ice, but the biggest thing going was the soft pretzels, they were a huge hit. i could have done without the chips and cheese curls and would have rather had fruit or veggies, but the soft pretzels were awesome, but we are in philly :)

August Mom
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd just do snacks - maybe veggies and/or fruit, cheese and crackers, pretzels, graham sticks - that sort of thing.

supercalifragilous
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't expect dinner (pizza) if I were attending, but ironically, if I were throwing the party, Costco's giant $9.99 pizza & homemade simple sandwiches would be cheaper than getting all the other stuff and I'd serve it closer to 4pm. If DD snacks substantially (and always does @ a party with finger food), I can't get her to eat real dinner until 6pm, which is late for her. I'd rather have her eat earlier @ 4 and snack light @ 6 to stave off hunger until bedtime.

Really, I don't think people care either way. If the food's there, they'll eat it!

hellokitty
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree with the other snack type of foods would be perfect. If you'd like something warm, maybe something like pizza bagels or some other kind of hot appetizer food that is snack sized. I wouldn't waste $ on ordering pizza or doing sandwiches.

HannaAddict
09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
We are doing a two year old b-day during the same time window. While it isn't officially lunch time, I think five year olds (and two, three and four year olds!) generally like pizza and it is easy, inexpensive and nice to offer. We are thinking of olive and cheese pizzas. FWIW, I personally like to error on the side of more substantial food when I entertain and think it usually seems like no effort was made when I go to a function with a basic relish tray (veggies) and some dip and/or bag of chips. The dip is usually pretty funky if kids (or adults) have been in it and it is not appetizing or even visually appeals. t just seems lame as a guest, even if I don't "need" to eat. When I have done snack type foods, I still include more substantial ones like small tea style sandwiches (have made them in shapes for kids and purchased them) or mini croissant sandwiches (Costco has them), or a true antipasta plate for adults. It is a party after all, not just some random folks stopping by unannounced and I think it is nice for the host to make some effort.

Kimberly

annasmom
09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the input!

I think I am going to do fruit and veggie platters, and pizza (and possibly sandwiches) as well. I would just feel a whole lot better feeding the kids something substantial before stuffing them full of cake and sending them home!