PDA

View Full Version : Giving in - Lovey search

Thatchermom
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
We have three rules for loveys in our house:
1. It must be washable
2. It must be replaceable
3. It must be quiet

DD, however, must not have gotten the memo on this. We have tried unsuccessfully to switch her attentions from the doll we now call "Crusty", but she will not be deterred. Sure, she'll hug on other dollies, but there is no doubt a special joy and delight when she sees the "one." And it is really becoming an issue here at home, since Crusty breaks all three rules.

1. She lives a filthy existence and shuns water (hence the "Crusty" name)
2. She was a limited-time holiday toy
3. She annoyingly repeats "I Love You" when DD chews on her hand.
Constantly.

She has nearly been lost on several occasions, and panic ensues. She only gets washed after major surgery to remove her talking parts (yes, DD KNOWS and loves making her talk), and she was a Valentine's doll that no longer exists at Target.

We've checked Ebay and actually found her there. But I can't make myself pay the $30 before shipping some creep is hoping a desperate parent will pay (at least not yet!) when we bought her for $4. Anybody have a Crusty they would be willing to sell, barter for or give away? There's a little blondie who'd give you big, sloppy wet kisses for it...and a mommy that could rest easier with a back up.

TIA

Ceepa
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry can't help you with the lovey, but once an amazing mom here helped me out with a lovey so good luck! BTW, your DD is super cute!

trales
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
That picture melts my heart. If I had one I would send it to you. Good luck. DD's lovey is our Newfoundland, it is ugly. He does not feel the love, and he weighs 140lbs and no honey, he can't sleep with all of us.

dotgirl
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Man, do I feel your pain - no suggestions on finding a backup lovey, unfortunately.

We're lucky enough that DS's snuggle "Yellow Pooh" is washable - especially since he once fell in the toilet and got peed on.

We've tried several times to replace him, but DS has none of it - claims the other things don't "smell" right.

megs4413
09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
darn we don't have that one. i'll keep my eyes peeled, though. where did you get it originally?

we're going on a similar lovey search ourselves...DS had to go and fall in love with a seasonal blankey from BRU of all things. no matter how hard i pushed that plush bunny on him, he still clung to that ratty blanket...oh well...what's done is done.

MamaMolly
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Susan,
I'm logged on and can't see the photos. Something is up, don't know what! I wish I could help. Do you have a shot of just Crusty you'd be willing to PM me? I'll keep an eye out here in the Northern VA consignment shops. Oh wait a sec,nevermind the PM, I got the 2nd photo to come up. That looks like a Carter's dolly. DD has a pink blankie/doll with the same head. Does it still have a tag? Any identifying numbers on it? I'll check my local Carter's outlet this week!

Thanks to the advice from moms here DD has 4 of exactly the same lovey blankets in an effort to keep us out of this. We had 2 in the beginning but I saw them at Walmart recently and called DH who told me to get 2 more ASAP. And he NEVER urges me to buy!

Hope we can find you a few!

alexsmommy
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Just a suggestion - you may want to change the title to something like "Need help locating backup lovey". It was totally random that I happened to open this post - but most moms completely understand the lovey issue and would probably look just to see if they had the toy. Good luck!

Thatchermom
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
She is from Carter's Just One Year line, and was available in the Valentine's section at Target last winter. I can't see anything else on her tags that would identify her. I've checked several Carter's outlets as we travelled this summer with no luck. I figured Ebay would be easy and was so stunned that even though there were several available they were SO very expensive. She's not exactly "highly collectible" so I was expecting to find her pretty reasonably! At nearly $40 with shipping, I thought I'd go for the long shot here!

August Mom
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry we don't have her. I would gladly send her if we did. You might try posting an ISO on Craigslist as an alternative to Ebay.

kristenk
09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
It's a little better than $40. There's a BIN price of $19.99 and $3 shipping. The doll isn't new. She might be a little less crusty than Crusty, though! The ebay item number is 360084949958.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carters-One-Year-Baby-Doll-Pink-HUG-ME-braids-lovey_W0QQitemZ360084949958QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m360084949958&_trkparms=72%3A1143%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

DrSally
09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
When I was looking for a backup lovey, I emailed Target and they told me they were not carrying it anymore. So, I emaied the the manufacturer and they looked up the lot and told me they had sold the remainder to Tuesday Morning. I actually made everyone look at their Tuesday Mornings, but no luck. Eventually, bought it on ebay. Then DS grew tired of it and switched to something else. Could you introduce another item together with it, and then see if she can get attached to it as well?

spunkybaby
09-04-2008, 05:06 AM
When I was looking for a backup lovey, I emailed Target and they told me they were not carrying it anymore. So, I emaied the the manufacturer and they looked up the lot and told me they had sold the remainder to Tuesday Morning. I actually made everyone look at their Tuesday Mornings, but no luck. Eventually, bought it on ebay. Then DS grew tired of it and switched to something else. Could you introduce another item together with it, and then see if she can get attached to it as well?

There's also the possibility, unfortunately, that even if you find a backup lovey, your DD won't accept it because it doesn't smell/look the same as "Crusty." When my friends' DD became attached to a stuffed lamb, they bought a second identical lamb, but she only drags around the original, dirty, faded "Lambie." The second one was pretty much rejected. I've had better luck with my kids, but that's because each one has had six identical fleece blankets (butterflies for DD1 and bunnies for DD2) pretty much from birth, so they are happy with any of the six, which gives me lots of leeway for rotating/washing/etc.

Sorry, but I just wanted to throw that in there before you shell out big $$ for a second doll that may not be accepted as a true substitute for the original lovey.

p.s. Wish I had a doll that I could send you for your DD! GL with your search.

egoldber
09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
There's also the possibility, unfortunately, that even if you find a backup lovey, your DD won't accept it because it doesn't smell/look the same as "Crusty." When my friends' DD became attached to a stuffed lamb, they bought a second identical lamb, but she only drags around the original, dirty, faded "Lambie."

:yeahthat:

Sarah actually has a Lambie :). I bought her a back-up, which she calls "other Lambie" and is not.the.same. Never has been, never will be.