PDA

View Full Version : Help me, ear pain.

niccig
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I had a head cold and flew on 3 planes within 48 hours. I had difficulty on each flight in clearing my ears, and kept chewing gum, yawning, eating and drinking to help. I also took sudafed before the flights, and I'm still taking it. Now, both ears are blocked - like I have water in them from swimming. I'll move my head in a certain way, and they'll clear, but then block up again. Occasionally, there is slight pain, so I took some motrin this morning.

It's driving me crazy, and it's disorientating when the ears clear and then block up again. Any suggestions on what to do to help.
Thanks.

GlindaGoodWitch
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh man do I feel for you. There's nothing worse than having that pressure release only to have it build up again.

Some suggestions:
1. Try using a nasal decongestant like Afrin or the like.
2. Sudafed NEVER worked for me. I always needed something stronger like Claritin.
3. If you are at home, a steamy shower sometimes helps. If not you can put a couple of paper towels in a coffee mug (bear with me I know this sounds weird) and get just enough really hot water to wet them - make sure all of it is absorbed or you'll burn yourself - and hold it clamped down over your ear while making the yawning motions. Does that make sense?
4. The valsalva technique (holding your nose closed while blowing it) has to be done VERY GENTLY but can also help...

Hope you're feeling better.

pb&j
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Afrin and then valsalva.

Two squirts of Afrin in each nostril, then wait about 20 min to try the valsalva.

Try the valsalva first by swallowing with your nose pinched closed and your mouth closed, and work your way up to blowing your nose.

Don't use Afrin for more than two days or you will get rebound.

It sounds like you may have fluid in your ears - you might want to see your doc to make sure you don't have an ear infection.

ThreeofUs
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you have fluid trapped in your ears. I'd go see my doc about this one - could easily turn into a major double ear infection.

niccig
09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I tried a few of your suggestions and I'm feeling a little better. I have a dr.s appt for tomorrow, so hopefully I can get to then without too much trouble.

kcimato
09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
A friend of mine got this advice from her Dr. 3 days before flying take Claradin D during the day and Chloratimetron at night.

I hadn't flown in a few years and sure enough I get a cold 3 weeks before I fly then another one a few days before. I have trouble with my ears when I have a cold.

I also used something called Ear Planes. They are supposed to equalize pressure during flight. You can get them in most drugstores. They have them for kids too.

http://www.cirrushealthcare.com/EarPlanes-C8.aspx

I did have some trouble landing with horrible ear pain and then my ears were plugged and I did the pinch nose routine and it unplugged the. I did not have the same problem on the way back. I know this doesn't help with the plugged ears now but might help in the future.