PDA

View Full Version : Big Girl Bed Brands to check out, also silly?

jacksmomtobe
09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
With DS we got a ragazzi bed with trundle right before they went out of the bed making business. I see in searching posts there are some alternatives such as caprezzi (sp?), etc but I was also wondering what other brands people liked. DD will be going from pack n play, sleeping with Mom to her own bed pretty much skipping the crib. She used to nap in the crib but now knows how to climb in and I'm afraid that she will end up like her cousin who got a broken arm when trying to get out because she is pretty crazy. I don't think her room is big enough for a twin w/trundle esp with where the solid walls (where no windows are..don't think I would want her bed vs the window) and door are located so I'm thinking just a twin. Which also gets me wondering what style people feel works for climbers. Part of me thinks solid foot & head board rather than spokes since I've seen her climb over DS's footboard but then part of me wonders in her smaller room will that feel more confining. Though a sleigh bed style might look pretty!

Lastly my silly question...with DS we avoided bed rails by having him sleep in the trundle. I know the rails go on the side which with her bed there would probably be one side to the wall but what about the ends?? DS esp moves around and sometimes ends up facing the complete opposite way that you should on his bed...don't kids ever shoot over the foot rail? I would love to hear some thoughts either stating that for some reason that doesn't happen. Also what about climbing over rails??? I guess if she is awake I really don't have a problem with her getting out of the bed though her room will have to be DD proofed (it's pretty child safe but her rocker and ottoman will have to be pulled out) and I would probably gate her in the beg like I did with ds.

Thanks for reading this long post. Any help appreciated!
Kim

C99
09-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Both of my kids went straight into twin-sized beds w/o rails. They were both against a wall on two sides, so that protected them somewhat. Both kids have fallen out, but it doesn't seem to bother them - they just climb back in, and it doesn't happen every night. For DS1, we had an IKEA ROBIN twin and now an IKEA KURA. For DD, we have the IKEA HEMNES daybed.