PDA

View Full Version : XPost Big Girl Bed/bed rails from safety perspective

jacksmomtobe
09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I posted looking for some bed info on the nursery forum but also thought I would post her since some of my ?? relate to the best choice of a big girl bed from a safety perpsective (she's a bit crazy). She's almost 26 months and I think she is ready for a big girl bed.

With DS we got a ragazzi bed with trundle right before they went out of the bed making business. I see in searching posts there are some alternatives such as caprezzi (sp?), etc but I was also wondering what other brands people liked. DD will be going from pack n play, sleeping with Mom to her own bed pretty much skipping the crib. She used to nap in the crib but now knows how to climb in and I'm afraid that she will end up like her cousin who got a broken arm when trying to get out because she is pretty crazy. I don't think her room is big enough for a twin w/trundle esp with where the solid walls (where no windows are..don't think I would want her bed vs the window) and door are located so I'm thinking just a twin. Which also gets me wondering what style people feel works for climbers. Part of me thinks solid foot & head board rather than spokes since I've seen her climb over DS's footboard but then part of me wonders in her smaller room will that feel more confining. Though a sleigh bed style might look pretty!

Lastly my silly question...with DS we avoided bed rails by having him sleep in the trundle. I know the rails go on the side which with her bed there would probably be one side to the wall but what about the ends?? DS esp moves around and sometimes ends up facing the complete opposite way that you should on his bed...don't kids ever shoot over the foot rail? She's not as much of a mover but I've always wondered about this. I would love to hear some thoughts either stating that for some reason that doesn't happen. Also what about climbing over the side rails??? I guess if she is awake I really don't have a problem with her getting out of the bed though her room will have to be DD proofed (it's pretty child safe but her rocker and ottoman will have to be pulled out) and I would probably gate her in the beg like I did with ds.

Also what do people do with potty trainers...she's been training during the day and has woken me up during the night to go to the bathroom..do I gate her and just hope she calls me??

Thanks for reading this long post. Any help appreciated!
Kim