PDA

View Full Version : What to give hospitalized 4yro girl?

wendibird22
09-04-2008, 08:05 AM
The 4yr old daughter of one of DHs colleagues was just diagnosed with lymphoma over the weekend and is currently at a local children's hospital. His work staff are collecting little gift items to give her to keep her entertained during her stay. Any ideas on what a little girl would like? Suggestions for books or activities? She has all her favorite babies with her, so she's all stocked up on lovies.

o_mom
09-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Sitckers
Velvet art mini posters
Paper dolls (Target carries the Klutz brand book)

egoldber
09-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Books on CD

a nice sketchpad or sketch journal (thinking of something spiralbound and with a stiff cover would be easier to use on a hospital bed) and nice drawing pencils

Twoboos
09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe one of the magnetic dressup doll sets, my DDs are currently crazy over these!! Melissa & Doug have them. Stays put better than paper dolls. However, I don't know if magnetics would be good in the hosp?

hillview
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
LeapFrog Tag? Other LeapFrog thing? Thinking something that is interactive that can expand (if the group budget allows for that).
/hillary

Puddy73
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
dry erase workbooks (Priddy makes some good ones)
little dress up items like a princess crown, hair bows, magic wands or jewelry (because hospital garb is so dull and ugly)
"I spy" type books
felt books or colorforms
paper dolls
lacing cards
pipe cleaners or wiki sticks (not sure if I'm spelling it right - they are flexible sticks that can be formed into different shapes)

alexsmommy
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
When DS spent time hospitalized last year (age 4) the big "hits" for gifts were his Leapster (my best girlfriends went in after asking me if it was ok - it was going to be a Santa gift but I was so glad they got it then) and games, drawing pad and colored penils (we practiced letters, spelling), and new movies for his DVD. He was so low energy he just couldn't get into some other things. He was bored and tired of sitting so it was the first time that he did not want me to read to him so the books weren't used a ton until we got home. Other items we borrowed from the child life room - the etch-a-sketch and magna-doodle, and Zingo.

tamie
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Don't forget silly socks. MY BFF's daughter was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago and I took socks and a couple of books her mom could read to her. One of the books was an Amelia Bedelia book. Both were a big hit.

JenaW
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Just saw that you are in Rochester. Is she at Strong? If so, they have a wonderful Child Life program there and an excellent Heme-Onc service. my DD spent nearly 3 weeks there in the spring and Child Life came by almost every day to bring new toys. We weren't allowed in the playroom as Natalie had RSV, but they brought TONS of stuff to her.

I second the rec for silly socks. Or fun hair holders (if she isn't starting chemo soon and potentially losing her hair-might want to check with her parents on that one first). ANYTHING to make the hospital garb less boring. Also, if you are close with the family, bringing food is always appreciated. The cafeteria hours there are very strange, and it can be difficult to get decent food if you are there for a prolonged, around-the-clock stay. The hospital food itself (for patients) is actually fairly decent. But for family, unless you order from (and pay for) the "room service" it isn't quite as wonderful. There are a TON of places that deliver, so maybe a gift card to one nearby if you know what kinds of food they like.

BTW, we are in a western suburb of Roch and DH works at Strong. PM me if you are ever interested in chatting offline/getting together.

~J

wendibird22
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I emailed a list to DH to share with his coworkers.

JeraW, yes, I'm in just south of Rochester and the little girl is at Strong. Thank you so much for the suggestion about food for the family. I can remember the trouble DH had for 2 nights when I delivered at Highland, so I can only imagine what it's like during an extended stay.

elephantmeg
09-04-2008, 04:37 PM
flowers. If she's on neutropenic precautions they'll have to be fake. But all the little girls I take care of have loved getting flowers.

melissaflorida
09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
My dd is 4 and she loves Polly Pockets and Barbies. She has the best time playing for hours with them.

Ditto on the Leapester handheld. She loves all the games.

~Melissa