PDA

View Full Version : Good Calories, Bad Calories -- Synopsis, anyone?

boogiemom
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Holy Smokes! I ordered this book from Amazon on the recommendation of a mama here from an earlier post. It arrived yesterday and I am sitting down to wade thru the 460 PAGES...yep, that's right - 460 pages! Not only do I really not have time to get thru this book within a reasonable amount of time, but also it is not exactly a riveting page-turner! Any mama's here able to offer me the CliffsNotes version? I am having some health issues that I think I can manage better with a change in my diet. I just want to make the right changes asap so I can begin to feel better. I'm trying to read this but it is putting me to sleep on this rainy, yucky day! Of course, lack of energy is one of the issues I'm experiencing and so far this book is not helping! :)

So, is it going to come down to a South Beach-ish recommendation?

fivi2
09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I think it was Brittone who recommended his book (?maybe) She also recommended an article that I think is sort of a CLiffs Notes - What if it's all been a big lie - or something along those lines... I think this is it:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E2D61F3EF934A35754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=health

After the recent low carb thread, I decided to make some changes also. I bought the South Beach book, and checked out from library Atkins' book and one of the Eades' books. I want to read GC,BC, but am afraid of it!

Although there are some differences between the three I bought, they all seem to start with a short but fairly restrictive phase to reboot your system. I started with the first one I bought (South Beach), but made some changes after reading the others. Because I am doing this more for health questions that weight reasons, I allowed myself a little more leeway :) I am not a doctor and haven't been doing this long at all, but that is what I am doing currently. I will say that in some ways it has been miserable (which I think is why I am posting so much these days) and in some ways it has been great. I think overall it will lead to some good changes for me.

boogiemom
09-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I think it was Brittone who recommended his book (?maybe) She also recommended an article that I think is sort of a CLiffs Notes - What if it's all been a big lie - or something along those lines... I think this is it:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E2D61F3EF934A35754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=health

After the recent low carb thread, I decided to make some changes also. I bought the South Beach book, and checked out from library Atkins' book and one of the Eades' books. I want to read GC,BC, but am afraid of it!

Although there are some differences between the three I bought, they all seem to start with a short but fairly restrictive phase to reboot your system. I started with the first one I bought (South Beach), but made some changes after reading the others. Because I am doing this more for health questions that weight reasons, I allowed myself a little more leeway :) I am not a doctor and haven't been doing this long at all, but that is what I am doing currently. I will say that in some ways it has been miserable (which I think is why I am posting so much these days) and in some ways it has been great. I think overall it will lead to some good changes for me.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I could not remember who had recommended it and couldn't remember the actual subject of that thread so I was stuck! There is a lot of good information in this book but it is certainly not light reading. I feel like I'm back in school! I'm scanning the pages and reading the sections that speak to me but that link is super helpful!

I really appreciate the help! :)

fivi2
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
No problem - here is the thread where she recommended it:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=299378

ThreeofUs
09-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Think of the book as a sleep aid when you're stressed! ;) Just kidding - it's a great book even if a bear to plow through.

Here's my cliff notes version: lots of protein and non-starchy veggies, lesser amounts of starchy veggies and beans, good oils (olive, canola), and red wine (lol), low amounts of complex carbs. Cut any simple sugars or carbs to almost nothing.

Good luck!

brittone2
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I understand...it isn't light reading by any stretch.

I would add to the above synopsis that saturated fat is likely not the enemy it has been made out to be (in the absence of transfats or carbs). Ditto cholesterol.

mommy111
09-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Awesome summary