PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Rosacea?

Corie
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
And how do you treat it?

Recently, my dermatologist told me that I have Rosacea.
I kind of had my suspicions. What do you do?

Also, my opthamologist mentioned today that Rosacea
can affect your eyes. My eyes are always red, irritated,
itchy, etc. My opthamologist said it's probably a combo
of my allergies and Rosacea.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, etc.?

This flushing is driving me insane!!!!

Help!

MontrealMum
09-04-2008, 09:31 PM
My mom has it, and I *think* that I might, but can't find a derm that will agree...

Anyways, she has a prescription steroid cream that she uses nightly, but I think that there are other products out there for milder cases (or less hypochondriac people) like things that are oatmeal-based (or is that only eczema and psoriasis?). Also, and this I'm certain about, she's been told to avoid certain foods....this is a real bummer.... things with caffeine, including chocolate, acidic foods (o.j., tomato-based things, WINE and other alcohol)...and I think that the sun may also play a factor. I can ask more about it when I make my ritual call this weekend if you'd like, though I think that there is a derm on these boards... ?

She also has extremely watery eyes but doesn't have anything specific for it. I use Patanol eye drops for my allergies and I like them alot.

npace19147
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Did your derm not prescribe anything to help you with it? Seems kind of surprising if they mentioned it.

I have it and the two top rx's that I've used are metrogel (also comes in a cream base that is popular but I am oily as well, oh joy, so the gel works better for me) and finacea.

Ask your derm about those, they are highly rec'd at makeupalley.com as well - lots of info over there.

Good sunscreen is a must, to keep down the flushing. And you probably have some food triggers, but not necessarily all that pp listed! My worst is red wine, but white is ok, and luckily chocolate and caffeine aren't a problem for me or else life might not be worth living... :hysterical:

HTH!

clc053103
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
i have Rosacea and what helped me the most (I actually stopped using the topical medication) was switching to mineral makeup. Specifically, I use Bare Escentuals.

The only time it really comes out is drinking alcohol and exercise- I get very red looking.

LarsMal
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
My mom has it, and I *think* that I might, but can't find a derm that will agree...

Anyways, she has a prescription steroid cream that she uses nightly, but I think that there are other products out there for milder cases (or less hypochondriac people) like things that are oatmeal-based (or is that only eczema and psoriasis?). Also, and this I'm certain about, she's been told to avoid certain foods....this is a real bummer.... things with caffeine, including chocolate, acidic foods (o.j., tomato-based things, WINE and other alcohol)...and I think that the sun may also play a factor. I can ask more about it when I make my ritual call this weekend if you'd like, though I think that there is a derm on these boards... ?

She also has extremely watery eyes but doesn't have anything specific for it. I use Patanol eye drops for my allergies and I like them alot.

Oh gosh- steroid cream is the WORST thing for rosacea skin. It can cause major major problems for steroid skin. She really should get something different.

MontrealMum
09-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I did not know that, and I'm sure my mom didn't...I will have to *push* her in that direction...do you have any brand names? I did get her to start recycling paper on this past visit, so if I have good info...

karolyp
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
ive got it too - although i've got a combination of adult acne/rosacea. My derm put me on Yaz, topisulf cream (a sulfur based cream), and clenia wash (a sulfar based wash).

LarsMal
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
This is the BEST forum for rosaceans:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/

Incredible wealth of information and support.

After DD was born I developed some weird dermatitis. After several months of using steroids my face went crazy! I've always had a bit of social flushing, but nothing major. One derm told me it wasn't rosacea, another said it was steroid induced rosacea. I found the forum above and I spend almost as much time there as I do here.

There are all kinds of treatments. Antihistamines can help with the flushing. If it's just flushing the other topicals like Metro and Finacea won't really help. Those are more for the pastules and pustules (or whatever they're called- "p&p's"). Steroid cream can be used for a couple weeks, but should not be used long term. Check out that forum and read more about it.

They also have all sorts of info on natural products and supplements. I take a digestive enzyme and took probiotics for a while. I also changed my diet and take antihistamines. It's made a world of differnce in my skin.

LarsMal
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I did not know that, and I'm sure my mom didn't...I will have to *push* her in that direction...do you have any brand names? I did get her to start recycling paper on this past visit, so if I have good info...

Check out the forum I linked in my other reply here. There is an insane amount of info there!

LarsMal
09-04-2008, 10:03 PM
i have Rosacea and what helped me the most (I actually stopped using the topical medication) was switching to mineral makeup. Specifically, I use Bare Escentuals.

The only time it really comes out is drinking alcohol and exercise- I get very red looking.

I also switched to mineral makeup and think it is wonderful. I use Everyday Minerals, though, because it has fewer ingredients than Bare Escentuals.

Corie
09-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Julie,

Thank you for sharing the message board!! It looks
very helpful.

I need to put in a call to my derm tomorrow and ask about
a cream or something.

My big problem is the flushing. I don't have the p&p's.

Thanks!

LarsMal
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Julie,

Thank you for sharing the message board!! It looks
very helpful.

I need to put in a call to my derm tomorrow and ask about
a cream or something.

My big problem is the flushing. I don't have the p&p's.

Thanks!

The best thing for that is to make sure you are using a very gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Wash your face with tepid water- most find it helpful to wash in the sink and not let their face get hit by the shower water.

Cetaphil is a popular gentle cleanser, and there is a ton of info on moisturizers.

I hope your derm can help you out, but unfortunately flushing is the hardest thing to treat, aside from identifying and avoiding triggers and being gentle to your skin. IPL and light therapy are other options, but I haven't read to much on that forum.

Good luck! I know flushing is no fun! At least you don't have the p&p's!

ETA: Antihistamines seem to really help a lot of people, especially a combo of H1 and H2 blockers, and Singulair for some (like me!) which is a leukotrien (sp) blocker.

MontrealMum
09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Julie, thx for the link. I will definitely check that out!