PDA

View Full Version : what veggies at lunch for your DC

Babywhite
09-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I would like to get DD to eat a veggie with lunch instead of (always another)fruit.

What veggies do your 4 yr olds like for lunch?

Here are DD's current lunch favorites:
PB & J sandwich
spag O’s
Veggie pizza
WW Chicken nuggets
Gerber Veggie Pickup Pasta
soup (add in some mixed veggies)
organic bean and cheese pizza type small pockets
Gerber Meat sticks (no nitrates:))
Wrap/pita/English muffin with meat and/or cheese (starting to like this idea)
Mac and cheese (on occasion -- not her favorite)

Currently, she wants pretzels or chips with lunch (and fruit). I really would like her to eat a veggie b/c she doesn't eat a lot of veggies with dinner. :(

Are raw veggies and dip ok for her age -- not as much of a choking hazard now???

TIA for your help

bubbaray
09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
My DD#1 would rather starve than eat veggies, of any sort, at lunch. I've given up.

lisams
09-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Here's what I've done:

carrot sticks
celery w/peanut butter
cherry tomatoes
cucumber slices
pea pods

hillview
09-05-2008, 09:07 AM
DS is just 3. We do (all cold):
peas
beans
tomatoes
carrots (cut into small enough pieces)
cucumbers
sweet potatoes
brussel sprouts

Some with a dipping sauce (aka salad dressing!).
hth
/hillary

schrocat
09-05-2008, 09:45 AM
DS is 3 years old. I usually pack organic baby spinach (raw and washed) or sauteed yu choy stems as a backdrop for DS's food. I also pack tiny cherry tomatoes. When he was younger (16 months), I'd send a small lunchbox with sauteed frozen organic mixed vegetables for lunch.

hez
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
DS will eat raw green pepper all day if I let him. I've been known to buy an extra on days that I'm using it in a recipe just for him :)

He likes most veggies (broccoli included). I know, he's weird ;)

kijip
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Right now, all he will eat at lunch for veggies are:

Carrots (raw)
Pepper slices (raw)
Cooked, frozen corn (go figure)
green beans (raw)

And while not technically a veggie, for a less sweet fruit, little tomatoes chopped in 1/2 with salt from our garden.

He eats both a veggie and a fruit at lunch. Sometimes 2 fruits and 1 veggie. He eats a lot. :ROTFLMAO:

Until he was 2 and 1/2, he'd eat every veggie I put in front of him. Now it is limited to the above plus whatever he will tolerate from dinner (greens, salad, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc).

brittone2
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
DS is 4 and eats quite a few raw veggies. My tips would be to put the veggies out while you are prepping the rest of lunch (I learned this from an uber-healthy family I used to babysit for in high school LOL). The kids are more inclined to eat it because they are very hungry. I would just stop buying the chips and pretzels personally because if they are there, she's far less likely (IMO) to eat the veggies.

DS probably enjoys these the most:
baby carrots
raw pepper slices (especially red, orange, yellow but they are often too $$)
cucumbers
tomatoes (especially sun gold tomatoes!)
broccoli/cauliflower

He loves seeing what we get from our CSA box each week and I think that helps build interest. (he'll eat stuff like swiss chard raw because he gets excited about the box being delivered, LOL). Also, consider having her help you prep the veggies (DS will scrub veggies with a little brush, etc. You could have her arrange them in a pretty pattern on a tray, etc.)

Another thing that sometimes goes over well here is taking frozen broc or green beans, and cooking. Serve with a small dish of grated parm for dipping.

Dips:
Tszasiki (not sure of spelling off the top of my head)
salad dressings
hummus
baba ganoush
whole fat Greek yogurt seasoned to taste (Greek is nice and thick. Can add various spices, etc. to make it taste like dip)
Sour cream with seasonsings to taste

sunriseiz
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
My dd's fave right now are carrots...go figure. Sticks, chips, baby, etc. 2nd choice would be grape tomatoes. :)

lmwbasye
09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
DS (4) will not eat veggies. At all. Period.

Unless you count Snap peas from Trader Joe's. Ha ha!!

DrSally
09-05-2008, 04:02 PM
edamame in individual packets. They're sold at Target in the frozen section by the organics.

hellbennt
09-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I buy frozen organic bags of veggies and heat them up before packing them-
ds eats them room temperature:
broccoli
green beans
mixed (corn/peas/carrotts)

or if I have fresh green beans or broccoli or cauliflower
I cook it up and again he eats them room temp.

another way is to buy (frozen) Health is Wealth brand
spinach munchies or broccoli munchies (other varieties, too!)
or Amy's brand (frozen) spinach feta squares
and I heat these up, pack 'em in foil and he eats these, too